R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default High traction tracks

This past weekend was the regionals at rc world depot in port jervis ny. Early in the day Saturday traction was IMO med/high to high but Sunday morning the traction was super high and was traction rolling all over.
My question is, when the conditions are this way what do I do?
High roll center, softer shock/spring?
Flat RC, softer shock/spring?
Low RC, softer shock/spring?
I know about gluing the sidewall of the tire and all the funny little tricks, just want to see where everyone else would go before gluing tires and that kind of stuff?
I'm running XRAY 2012 nt1, but don't think that should matter since theory doesn't have a brand of car, LOL.
Thanks in advance, and really want to hear peoples opinions
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Harder tires.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
This past weekend was the regionals at rc world depot in port jervis ny. Early in the day Saturday traction was IMO med/high to high but Sunday morning the traction was super high and was traction rolling all over.
My question is, when the conditions are this way what do I do?
High roll center, softer shock/spring?
Flat RC, softer shock/spring?
Low RC, softer shock/spring?
I know about gluing the sidewall of the tire and all the funny little tricks, just want to see where everyone else would go before gluing tires and that kind of stuff?
I'm running XRAY 2012 nt1, but don't think that should matter since theory doesn't have a brand of car, LOL.
Thanks in advance, and really want to hear peoples opinions
Have you raced at Fort Myers in the past 2 years, traction has been so high 1/8th scales are tipping.... That being said, i usually start by getting the rear end of the car exactly at 200mm and lower the ride height by using smaller tires or adjusting the pre-load (track is real smooth). If i am still tipping I will then i will glue the sidewalls on the front tires or take tread away from the inside of the rim. I try not to change the setup of the car too much, therefore gluing the tires is a easy change. You don't want to raise the RC or you will tip more. You can always lower the roll center in the rear to give you less steering and more rear grip. I am not a fan a super high traction tracks, but when i am there, i try to get the car to have a slight push then bring steering back into it.
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

low roll center, soft springs and heavy dampening, low ride height, small tires or last resort harder tires.....your mileage may vary
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Tech Elite

The truth is it really depends on what part of the turn you are traction rolling at. Racers typically just assume that it is a turn in issue, however there are many parts to a turn and that matter.

If it is on the very initial turn in, then the issues can be help by making adjustments to the front of the car. But the reality is most of the time it is in the middle of the turn or on apex exit and then the issue is on the rear of the car.

In general making the car softer, wider or less wheel lift is a good start (sway bars, offset of axles, ackerman position are also to consider)

I try not to go to a harder tire if possible. I like running the softer stuff. I typically run Sedan 32/37 everywhere and 1/8 32/35(even in high bite) At the Fort with all that traction I still use 32/37 sedan tires.

DJ Apolaro
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wheel lift? Droop? Higher number on the gauges?
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I mean wheel lift based on scrub, axle position and sway bars used. Droop can also be a tool to help or hurt, but I do not play with droop too much when it comes to traction roll. I do not like my car to move around too much and droop does make the car lazy at times if you have too much travel.

DJ Apolaro
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
low roll center, soft springs and heavy dampening, low ride height, small tires or last resort harder tires.....your mileage may vary
soft spring with higher viscosity shock oil?
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I would not increase the oil, but there are many ways to skin a cat.

DJ Apolaro
Old 09-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Very nice thread .....

Thank you.

GHN
ghn-sp is offline   Reply With Quote