Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Looking for my first on road GT8? >

Looking for my first on road GT8?

Looking for my first on road GT8?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default Looking for my first on road GT8?

Hey guys I am looking to get into onroad -- I figured instead of getting another Nitro buggy maybe id try on road on for size.

I see the GT class is not as popular so not so many options. I wondered if you guys had some input into your experiences with GT cars such as GT2 the Ofna V2s, Serpent GT... And also not really a GT car but the 1/7 Ofna DM-One (not the RTR) ... It is not really important that I get a RTR.. Thank you guys in advance.

Ps I am leaning toward the OFNA 1/7 pro .. but I have been bouncing back and forth so thats not worth much

Tim
Old 09-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
Hey guys I am looking to get into onroad -- I figured instead of getting another Nitro buggy maybe id try on road on for size.

I see the GT class is not as popular so not so many options. I wondered if you guys had some input into your experiences with GT cars such as GT2 the Ofna V2s, Serpent GT... And also not really a GT car but the 1/7 Ofna DM-One (not the RTR) ... It is not really important that I get a RTR.. Thank you guys in advance.

Ps I am leaning toward the OFNA 1/7 pro .. but I have been bouncing back and forth so thats not worth much

Tim
I think if you are on a budget then best bang for the buck is a Kyosho GT2RTR.....servos will need to be upgraded like on your losi buggy lol...but if the budget is larger then go with a purpose built car like Serpent or Team C....SPEND THE $$$ ONE TIME....
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Serpent! It's just better kit than anything from ofna.

The kyosho rtrs are good cars too though.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Team c or serpent or may convert a buggy
Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Serpent! Most widely used. Great out the box. My cars stock with 0* knuckles and pro brake kit. That's all you need with a good set up. 2 speed is bulletproof. Ton of tunability.

Ofna 1/7 kit is a waste it's the only 1/7 kit out there. Useless.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Well, it depends on what you are going to do, or want to do.

Best car out of the box for open engine racing is the Serpent.

If you are looking at the new IGT8F spec class, the DM-1 1/7 Scale should be a good car. The OFNA DMv2 which is the Team C car with the longer chassis. This is the best option for racing the car.

If you are looking to play ...... any will work.

FYI ........ I race DM-1, full disclosure.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Only choice is Serpent, the Team C is grtting better but out of the box the Serprnt is the better deal.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

unfortunately serpent is the the only choice in gt right now everything else has been made a also ran i run a gtp and gtp2 and cannot get lap times any where close and i have modded the heck out out of them trying
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Smile 1st GT guy

Lots of Kyosho GT1/GT2 cars available for <$300. New one $600.....comes with radio (2.4), stock motor runs 'a while'. You'll need 'serious' steering servo and 'competition level' tires (I like Sweeps and GRP)

Kyosho startup is <$1000 and Serpent Cobra is OVER $1000, I have both.

If you are just 'starting', look at your end goal........are you going to run with the 'wild dogs' or have some local fun????? Ofna/TeamC is not a bad option either for the $$$$.

Find a local 'mentor' to avoid lots of grief for 'starting out'.

Best of luck........GT's are fun.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Have to throw in some Serpent love. The GT is like mentioned above a purpose built race machine. It is also insanely durable compared to some of the others. All of the drivers locally here are buying upgrades instead of spares for broken parts. Money well spent if it is feasible to you. If you see yourself getting really into racing a GT Serpent all day. No one can match the car and no one can match the support.

If you want to go Kyo get with Scary Jerry he is the man with all the tricks on that chassis. He will get you the right mods and help you with a few tips for a better performing car.

The Serpent Cobra GT and team behind it is what landed me my love of Serpent seen below.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Lots of Kyosho GT1/GT2 cars available for <$300. New one $600.....comes with radio (2.4), stock motor runs 'a while'. You'll need 'serious' steering servo and 'competition level' tires (I like Sweeps and GRP)

Kyosho startup is <$1000 and Serpent Cobra is OVER $1000, I have both.

If you are just 'starting', look at your end goal........are you going to run with the 'wild dogs' or have some local fun????? Ofna/TeamC is not a bad option either for the $$$$.

Find a local 'mentor' to avoid lots of grief for 'starting out'.

Best of luck........GT's are fun.
'Good advice'
Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys -- I would not be racing right off the bat but would like a nice car regardless.. At the serpents price that is close to the price of one of the 1/8 serpent 977 type cars which have much fatter rear tires .. I figure that would handle better?

Also how hard is it to convert a buggy .. I think the important parts are the shocks / towers - 2speed trans ... I guess you can just use the offroad shocks (seems overkill) any input from people that have done this before. off the record it would look cool to have the smaller towers / shocks and still be able to fit the buggy body ... some open wheel GT action

Last edited by Tcaputo; 10-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Reading this thread and wondering why at least two RC companies come up with a 1/8 GT car. Even tho Serpent is king in this class, I want some more options. SC, buggy, Monster Truck, let's not even touch 1/10......
Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Well i am going to sell my ofna GTP (modded) and spares i also have a gtp2-e(with RX8 and 2650) that i am looking to sell as well
Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
Thanks guys -- I would not be racing right off the bat but would like a nice car regardless.. At the serpents price that is close to the price of one of the 1/8 serpent 977 type cars which have much fatter rear tires .. I figure that would handle better?

Also how hard is it to convert a buggy .. I think the important parts are the shocks / towers - 2speed trans ... I guess you can just use the offroad shocks (seems overkill) any input from people that have done this before. off the record it would look cool to have the smaller towers / shocks and still be able to fit the buggy body ... some open wheel GT action
Go GT8, not 1/8 4WD! The 977 is not parking lot friendly, or smaller track friendly. That's straight up Formula 1 of RC!

Honestly, some of the best handling GT's I've seen have been buggy conversions. Takes a little R&D to get it right, but once it's right it's awesome! I saw go for it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.