R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö
Default Radio for my 710?

Hi!

After only having a Hitec Lynx FM for a few years I want something that matches the cars performance a little better. My budget is around 160 USD, so I can't get a 3PK, Helios or M8, but a used KO Mars or a used Futaba 3PJ(S) is around those pricelevels. I could also get a new Futaba 3PM, but that ain't modulebased, so I can't get a spektrum for it later.

I'm not a serious racer, I'm just a 14 year old thats racing some clublevel-races per year and some bigger events, but I'm still only in it for fun.

What do you guys think?

Edit* Big event in Sweden = small event in the US

Last edited by New_Toasted; 06-25-2005 at 04:32 PM.
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Radio for 710

if you do not have to have new then look for a used 3pk, or M8. You might be able to find one of the nicer radio systems for sale, now that the M11 is out.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Most of the new generation (3PK, Helios etc) high-end radios goes for 250 USD and more, and that's too expensive for me.. I need to keep the car running as well.

Are Mars and 3PJ so much worse than the newer systems?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I have the 3pj its a great system. Lots of key elements. A bit tricky to navigate but pretty routine once you figure it out.

Im looking to upgrade to the 3pk soon. So I know what you mean on finding them for cheap, its pretty hard to find them for the range your looking at.

I also see a lot of these at the track and with the dsm's on them. I like the smaller size of them as well.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Grasshopperr Send a message via AIM to Grasshopperr Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopperr

Im 14 too but I controll my mugen with a Jr xr3i and I just got a hitec lynx that I am about to try out
Grasshopperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Yea I use a JR xr3i also works mighty nice.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Toasted
Hi!

After only having a Hitec Lynx FM for a few years I want something that matches the cars performance a little better. My budget is around 160 USD, so I can't get a 3PK, Helios or M8, but a used KO Mars or a used Futaba 3PJ(S) is around those pricelevels. I could also get a new Futaba 3PM, but that ain't modulebased, so I can't get a spektrum for it later.

I'm not a serious racer, I'm just a 14 year old thats racing some clublevel-races per year and some bigger events, but I'm still only in it for fun.

What do you guys think?

Edit* Big event in Sweden = small event in the US

hey dude.i'm 14 too.i would suggest get a helios.i noe it is beyond your budget,but why don't u just use ur current radio for a couple of months and save up money to buy a high end radio later.good things happen to those who wait u noe.maybe u can make a deal with ur parents.like maybe get good grades in school and ur parents give u 100usd.try to think ways to make money man.maybe u can clean up the house,wash the car etc.the list goes on.and ask ur parents if they will pay u if u clean the house or wash the car.u won't believe how much money u can make.i'm 14 too and i'm earning money to buy a 710 and hudy setup system.in 2 weeks i made 25usd.not bad for me.so think about it.u can wait and buy a high end radio or just buy now with ur 160 usd.if u want a mid level radio,i suggest the futaba 3-pm.and if u want to wait and get a high end radio,the helios.the new m11 looks cool too.hope this helps
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Save your money for one of the "high-end" radios (3pk, Helio, & M8) you will thank yourself in the long run.
If you can't wait go for a FM radio atleast!!!
FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:50 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Thanks for all great replies!

I think I look around for a cheap used 3PK or Helios (I don't care if it's full of scratches).

Just one more question, what are the main disadvantages for the Mars compared to the Helios? Or 3PJ compared to the 3PK?

Thanks,

Simon
Old 06-26-2005, 01:54 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntc3freak
maybe u can make a deal with ur parents.like maybe get good grades in school and ur parents give u 100usd.
I just got real good grades (13 of the highest grade, 3 of the middle grade), and I also got some money for them, or a heck lot of money, but then I needed a MP3 player and a new computer mouse, so I dont have more than like 200 USD for the moment..
Old 06-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
I just got real good grades (13 of the highest grade, 3 of the middle grade), and I also got some money for them, or a heck lot of money, but then I needed a MP3 player and a new computer mouse, so I dont have more than like 200 USD for the moment..

hmmm.collect 70 usd more .do whatever u can to get a high end radio.it is worth it.cheers.btw,congrats on ur results
Old 06-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Tech Regular

I talked to Fmolzer today on the track, and he also thinks I should get a hi-end radio, so I guess I have to monitor ebay and buy/sell forums

Thanks for all help
Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
I talked to Fmolzer today on the track, and he also thinks I should get a hi-end radio, so I guess I have to monitor ebay and buy/sell forums

Thanks for all help

i suggest buy a new one if can.or if want to buy 2nd hand,buy from someone u knoe u can trust.easiest just buy new one .
Old 06-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #14
Tech Regular

In how many ways can you destroy a transmitter? I've never seen a guy drop a transmitter..
Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

*edit* realized trading was'nt allowed in forums
Mess me on MSN New_Toasted
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote