R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-02-2002, 02:25 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to David

Can someone tell me the point in buying a new engine if you have to change the carbie on it to one from another product!!!

ive been reading here thats what you guys do with collari
surely it would be heaps less expensive and stressful if you brought a motor that does the job with the carbie that comes with the in the first place
IE... Mugen,Novarossi,RB,JP ?????
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:39 AM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

well for me David I rarely buy into the stuff I see posted on the internet cause what happens is the people that are pissed are more prone to post about their problem than the people that are satisfied with the product. If I experience something personally then I'm a believer. I heard the rumblings about the carbs on these engines - but I bought them anyway cause I saw one in action and it was screaming.

I got one that runs fine and i've had zero problems with the stock carb or any of these premature failures freakah is talking about. I've got another that is the same engine that I could not get to run well. Well - correction it ran like a champ best engine I've owned for 3 minutes, then if it got remotely hot it would act erratic and cut out. I chased needles for 2 days until finally giving up, it didn't matter what the needles were set at the end result was always the same. So what to do at that point?

1)Send it back and hope the manufacturer gives up something? Unlikely - the engine's been used clearly - hard to make a case for refund.

2)Sell it to someone else?
Not cool in my book - passing of a known problem to another racer is bad Karma

3)Break it down for parts or sell it cheap clearly describing the problem?
an option - but you end up losing big $$$.

4)Try a nova based carb from one of your other engines and see what happens?
bingo - I don't like that I have a perfectly fine RBX12 that has no carb on it now, but it was sitting in the toolbox anyway so it could stand to give up its carb. End result is the motor is IMO much better of the bottom and equal on top to any of the stock nova's - so you see why it may be worth it (or maybe I'm trying to justify to make myself feel better. )

Last edited by patelladragger; 09-02-2002 at 10:44 AM.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 02:38 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

PD
Do you remember Dear Heloise's remedy
for straightening a bent exhaust pipe?
Something about H20 and the freezer. I
see now, why I dusted my 1st speed
spur gear yesterday. As I was coming
out of a hair-pin onto the back
straight, I nailed it (still in 1st
gear) and went wide left to avoid
traffic and "tapped" a concrete wall,
ouch!
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:06 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to David

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
well for me David I rarely buy into the stuff I see posted on the internet cause what happens is the people that are pissed are more prone to post about their problem than the people that are satisfied with the product. If I experience something personally then I'm a believer. I heard the rumblings about the carbs on these engines - but I bought them anyway cause I saw one in action and it was screaming.

V good honest answer.

I have 2 RE engines, a novamega and a JP . i race in Australia, im not even close to being in the top half of the "better drivers "over here, i just enjoy racing with them

I know a few guys who use the Collari in australia and i must say at least one is "on par" with the Novarossi based engines used by the "better Drivers" here and pretty sure he still uses the Collari carbie too. having said that ive also seen and heard of others having a hard time tuning there engines or worse still breaking there engines like those discribed in here.

i dont know what the prices are like overseas but in australia the prices go something like this to buy a Legal IFMAR approved engine IE max 4 port with no turbo head these prices was a couple of months ago and was before the S3.

Mugen MT.12 = around $420 ( from memory)
RBX12 = $410
Collari = $370
Novamega S1 including header and pipe $400
JP S1 = $450
new 5.5mm slide carbie = about $80

point is IF you have to buy a new carbie to get your collari running right then is the same price as a JP which you can buy and bolt stright in without the headache
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:34 PM   #20
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by David

point is IF you have to buy a new carbie to get your collari running right then is the same price as a JP which you can buy and bolt stright in without the headache
I agree 100%. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy ANY picco engine unless I knew I had a carb for it - don't like a crapshoot with 200 dollars on the line.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 03:35 PM   #21
TKT
Tech Initiate

Interesting to see everyones points. Personaly I have a Collari 5 port Turbo .12, never have had any problems with it however the carb is more exacting as far a tuning than others. It seems that to give you an example with an OS carb you can be within 5 hours and the engine will rund fine, the Nova Carbs within 2-3 hours but with the Collari's you need to be within 1 hour! A little more adjusting, takes some time and some experience but once you get it done the remards are that you have one of the fastes box stock engines on the market! Up here in N. California at the monthly Castle Hobbies nitro races (120-150 entry's) all of the fast guys run Collari's. They are the engines to beat and offer 7 1/2 to 8 minutes of run time on a tank! If Dennis Richey aka "The Motor Man" runs one it can't be that bad.....
TKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:04 PM   #22

TKT, I also have a 5-port and you are exactly right. Mine holds a tune,gets exelant fuel milage and runs around 200.
JCTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:12 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

I will be running a Collari 5-port soon and am very optimistic. I've always run Picco .21 engines offroad and i can sympathize with those of you with carb problems. Between the many I have run, I can say that the carburetors varied greatly as far as building tolerances go. The play between slides and carb bodies really affected the tunability. I ran the best I had and once tuned it was very consistent. The beauty of the .12 engines are that Picco/Nova can swap carbs if you really get frustrated
island-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:24 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

I think it's also worth mentioning that Picco engine blocks are investment cast, not vaccuum molded like Novarossi cases. The big plus about investment casting is that the case does not expand as much with heat and provides the best compression/performance. The cons are more air bubble potential and a less than perfect looking case, although Picco revised the process so their cases look much sharper. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of a new engine from Picco, it's interesting that OFNA has a Picco made 7-port turbo and the Orion WASP boasts a killer motor as well. Maybe the Associated guys were running a prototype.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:31 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Billy Eastons Picco looked like it had a Novarossi carb on it. I know Barrys was all Picco.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:54 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool COLLARI CARB

What I've heard is you have to clean out the carb when you get it new. It has trash or shavings from the porting!!

clean it before running it
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 03:07 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

Help me out guys I'm trying to mount a Collari in my NTC3 but it just won't work out. The collet that came with the motor is longer than the kit collet and seems to have a broader taper making it impossible to get the flywheel to butt up against the crankcase when it's tightened down. I realize that I need to use the collet that came with the motor because of the crank size. How did you guys do it
Old 09-28-2002, 05:05 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

On my Collari the front bearing went gritty after only a few runs.

After taking it out, I found that the oils channel was not drilled all the way through, so the bearing didn't get any lubrication.

Maybe worth checking, since the bearing is really hard to come by and not really cheap.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 01:41 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Have any of you guys ever ran a Mugen p&s kit in the picco motor? I ask because I am doing work on my friends picco and was rebulding by mt and found that the mt P&S works with a picco rod and fits in the block fine.

I figured that if anyone has run this before it might be somthing to pass along to you guys, mugen p&s kits are easy for any shop to order from horizon. The motors have different timing in the transfers and exhaust but it might work out better that the stock picco. I will run it tomorrow and let you guys know if it works.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:03 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ianhobbies
Default plug

hey guys! i'm using da xs12 5-port, what's da best plug for it? my engine stalls every 1/4th tank consumed?
ianhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote