Community
Wiki Posts
Search

power issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default power issues

ok, i am a n00B at this forum stuff and with r/cing... i have a 1/10 scale buggy. i am having a prblem with keeping the engine running. the engine was initially running for about 5-10 minutes before actual road testing it as i was told to do for breaking in a new engine. i am using:

20% pro car extreme

syn:100%
oil content 16%

99.8% nitromethane
99.5% methyl alcohol
klotz formula lubricants
rust inhibitors
anti-foam agent

and i was told this is airplane fuel, but should be fine. the car drops power when running and i think i almost got the car ready to run properly again. the problem history is:

i couldn't turn the engine over for more than 30 seconds since resting over the winter. fresh batteries and everything were put in. little problem with the switch , but that is fixed. using the same fuel as i stated before the engine would not turn over until about 10 minutes of bloody fingers from pulling the dang pull start. then it would only last for a few seconds then stop. i tinkered with the needle setting on the fuel line and found where it would like to start and i feel this is fine now. no more 10 minute waits, but still 5 minutes until she fires, but it still won't stay on for more than 30 seconds. i adjusted the other needle setting on the engine block where the throttle is and now i can firre it up. i just did a "no motion standing still no throttle action" start and she died when i ran outta fuel... PERFECT. the part i am missing in that is.. when i take off the glow plug, she would stop.. so long as i keep the glow plug on, the car would run, if i take off the glow plug. drops dead like a possum. i am not sure if i am using a hot or a cold glowplug... it doesnt say. the engine is a 15. the car is the speedy car from excell model http://www.excelhobby.com/excel_hobby_006.htm

Old 06-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

If its airplane fuel, switch to a nitro car fuel and then see what happens.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
If its airplane fuel, switch to a nitro car fuel and then see what happens.
read his post it clearly states 20% pro car extreme me thinks it's car fuel if it says so in the name..

as for your tuning issues from what I read you may need to lean out your Low Speed Needle a bit here is a link to a nice handy tuning guide that should set you straight.

RCNitro super engine tuning
top ten nitro tips
Post run nitro maintance tips
how to seal your engine and some other tips

those should give you all the info you need to be able to start your engine and maintain your ride in top form for many days of fun.

if you have anymore questions feel free to post em up.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

I see the name but look where he says under the fuel contents,"and i was told this is airplane fuel, but should be fine".
Old 06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

i did a idle run yesterday and thought it was good to go. it turned over nicely now, but only lasted about 30-50 feet then died... engine just slowed down then cut out. when it was running, it was noware near the speed it can do. prolly about 15-20mph for the hort run. im going to bring it to a shop to look at next weekend.

i was told airplane fuel uses that kind of oil mixture... and car is 15 or 20%... but ya, it does say it in the name... so it should be ok. the hoses seem fine. reading the links, one thing i have that might be an issue is the pump on the fuel.?¿?¿ it doesnt appear to have a leak there
Old 07-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

got er running nicely now as you can see by the short video... shot by a 5 year old

http://www.global-fortress.org/ut2k4/car.mpg