R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-09-2001, 03:51 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by tekrsq

HUH??? I know you can't run the 32mm Yoks, but the 26mm fit fine. I've run 26mm Yok foams (without spacers) and haven't had a problem. It's one of the few sets that I don't have to modify.
Man, I wish I could fit the 32mm on the back though.
Get 14mm turnbuckles, move the rear upright mount to one of the 2 inner holes and shave the rear up rights.

I know someone running 40mm in the back. (No not me)

26mm with zero offset will work fine. The stock Mugen wheels are like this.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:26 PM   #17
Ron
Tech Adept

im not sure what you guys are talking about but here is the deal, with the yokomo wheels/foams ive been buying (white spoke ones) the hex is very thin. i dont know of any spacer that you can fit into the hex (on the wheel) that will space it out and still fit on the car without slipping.

second ive just bought my second set of yokomos and they work fine (after the mod) the fronts i shaved down to about 24mm and they seem to be ok.

here is my problem #2 i found that brand new out of the package the front are taller then the rear? i thought this wasnt good on 4WD cars? if you have 2 different size wheels you get an unbalanced car that can push or be loose from over or under wheel spinning?

i really like the superG wheel but i want the yokomo compound i trust the color code compound. the super G 40-45, 35 crap doesnt sound right. i know that pink and purple work and i dont want a tire that will wear different thanim used to.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 05:44 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to SuperMugen

I was at the castle classic about 2 weeks ago and Mike Swauger was using Yokomo foams on his Mugen. He was running 26's with inch-up wheels up front and 32's with inch up wheels in the rear. I think if you have the Inch up rim then you can get them to fit. I ordered some Yokomo foam's from Speedtech-RC and got the standard rim 26mm's for the front and 32mm's inch-ups for the rear, the web-site said nothing about the rim inner diameter so I just order what I though would wrok. The rear 32mm inch-up's seem to fit fine as long as you shorten the top turnbuckle so it doesn't rub on the tire. The rear inch-up hex's are fairly deep so if you wan't to run 2mm spacer you can use them because the rim hex is about 4mm deep, altough it's somewhat hard to get the car under 200m's if your going to use 2mm spacers with the 32mm's foams in the rear. The 26mm with standard size rim that I got for the front rubbed on the upright, so i'm thinking that if I get the 26mm inch-ups they will fit. Swauger got them to fit so I don't know why I couldn't, too bad I didn't exam his car closer when I was there. Here's a link to his pics of his car along with some other car's. http://www.rcracing.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=1726

Leet TC3: I've been using TRC 28mm's tires all around with 2mm spacer for the whole season and they fit great with the spacer, it's even easy to get the car under 200mm's, so I don't know why your saying that the only tire that will fit on the front of Mugen is 24mm wide or less.

Last edited by SuperMugen; 10-15-2001 at 05:46 PM.
SuperMugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:22 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

<sigh> I posted nearly a month ago, and I am still being forced to defend...

Look, I doubt VERY seriously that you can really get your car to 200mm with 28's and spacers. But, taking your word for it...

I was referring mostly to Jaco's and Yok's. I don't know of many (if fact ANY) racers who use the TRC's. Frankly, and this is just my opionion, I wouldn't put them on my car. They chunk more than any other tire I know.

And besides, WHY does everyone lust for 28's and 32's? The 24's are fine, and provide less rolling resistance than 28's. The amount of "stick" you lose with the narrower tires has to be pretty insignificant.
Leet TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:23 PM   #20
Tech Addict

There is one thing that needs to be mentioned during the "which wheel will fit the mtx-2" discussion: the axles. The stock axles have a longer threaded part then the universals. I could easily run 2 mm spacers with the stock axles, but cannot run them with the universals. There just isn't enough thread sticking out to put even a "slimline" nut on if you use a spacer.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:30 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Leet TC3
<sigh> I posted nearly a month ago, and I am still being forced to defend...

Look, I doubt VERY seriously that you can really get your car to 200mm with 28's and spacers. But, taking your word for it...

I was referring mostly to Jaco's and Yok's. I don't know of many (if fact ANY) racers who use the TRC's. Frankly, and this is just my opionion, I wouldn't put them on my car. They chunk more than any other tire I know.

And besides, WHY does everyone lust for 28's and 32's? The 24's are fine, and provide less rolling resistance than 28's. The amount of "stick" you lose with the narrower tires has to be pretty insignificant.
I too See this Kinda Usless if your Car is having that Much trouble Sticking to the track i would look someplace Else Other then the Tires . I understand Or a Rumor What Ever you Want to Call it That ROAR is looking at a Tire Restriction of 26mm In The Touring Car Class and With the race Season about Shot For the Year in Most places I would Wait to See What Happens next Year With the Rules and the Differant Tires that are Coming Out If you are So Sure Its your tires and not your Setup. Go For it
Snake_bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 06:43 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to SuperMugen

Hey guys,

Leet: My car runs 199mm front and rear with the TRC's and 2mm spacers, I even checked it in a roar 200mm box a while back. I can get the car to about 197mm f/r without any problems. I dont use Jaco because the rim hex will strip with higher power engines and plus the tire doesn't hook up as well as TRC's at the track I race at. I have had 1 TRC chunk all year and it's been a rear purple. The wear rate of TRC's is fairly high (at least in my experience's) mainly because the track I race at is SUPER high grip and the A-main alone is 30 minutes.

When you say, "The amount of "stick" you lose with the narrower tires has to be pretty insignificant" if you think about 8mm's of rubber on each side of the rear is A LOT, when the tire is only 24mm's wide... I think the rotating mass would be more insignificant than an extra 16mm's of rubber at the rear. Just my opinion though.

tekrsq: I have NO problems keeping theeels on with the 2mm spacers and universals even in 30-45 minute mains, btw I'm using GS racing wheel nuts. That's weird

Snake-bit: The only reason I'm going to experiment with the Yokomo foam tires is for a possible slight advantage over the competition, not to mention that they worked awesome at the last race I was at. It tells you something when Mike Swauger is using Yokomo foam tires on his Mugen. You know that your car can always improve a little bit, even though it may not seem like it is possible. Later and no hard feeling to anyone.
SuperMugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 07:07 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperMugen
tekrsq: I have NO problems keeping theeels on with the 2mm spacers and universals even in 30-45 minute mains, btw I'm using GS racing wheel nuts. That's weird
Interesting. I usually run the GS nuts myself and barely have enough thread to reach the teflon locking ring (without a spacer) and at the end of a 15 min main the wheels are almost falling off. If I put a spacer behind the rim, I have to use the slimline HPI nuts and a LOT of locktite.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 08:52 PM   #24
Ron
Tech Adept

well i dont know what yokomos you guys are using but if i put a spacer behind the wheel there will be no room for the hex to even hold the wheel from slipping.

but they last quite a while. 3-4 weeks on magneta and probobly a while longer with purple.

i ran the first set i got for about 4 weeks before i got the second set and i didnt chunk any of em.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:32 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what an interesting thread. I gave up on premounted foam tires. I began mounting my own. Ellegi's are mounted the best but hi priced. I began mounting Ellegi donuts on the boxes of TRC wheels I have lying around. The biggest reason was that most of the TC foams are mounted with an adhesive that is to weak and the tire rolls off the edge of the rim and chunks on a rough track. I went to mounting thenm with that black superglue and all that went away. My car is real happy on 26 mm foams with 40 durometer ellegi's up front and 35/37 ellegies out rear or purple rear TRC's remounted with superglue. It is totally hooked and has all kinds of steering. I use a solid rear axle and a front oneway with 2% overdrive. At Cincinatti I can run almost Throttle matted through the infield only having to lift lightly at the S prior to entrance of the back straight and at the end of the straight entering the hairpin.
Cincinatti looks like that track in Australia where the world champs were held with a slightly more technical infield. This is the 1/10th 2wd IC worlds track for 2001

Last edited by Motorman; 11-13-2001 at 06:45 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:32 PM   #26
Ron
Tech Adept

damn that looks like a killer track. i wish they had stuff liek tht out here.