R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Off road engine in a GT car

Figured I'd start the debate/conversation. I know alot are against it. Some in favor. I have run a nova p5xlt done by maxy. Super fast. Some people just don't have the 400 plus for them on road engines. Companies seem to just be sticking it to you on them vs an off road. Cant she how it costs any more to build an on road vs off road. Some of the higher reving off roads like an xZ-b os or a werks b5 must be able to keep up for half the price. Thoughts
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966ss View Post
Figured I'd start the debate/conversation. I know alot are against it. Some in favor. I have run a nova p5xlt done by maxy. Super fast. Some people just don't have the 400 plus for them on road engines. Companies seem to just be sticking it to you on them vs an off road. Cant she how it costs any more to build an on road vs off road. Some of the higher reving off roads like an xZ-b os or a werks b5 must be able to keep up for half the price. Thoughts
There are so many factors in this
For instance the guys winning the GT races here locally are running the 4 port BTT in both variations BTTA and BTTS. Since we are setting up tracks that are tight with a straight around 200' the RPM doesn't gain you much.

The flip side of that is say GLARC. That straight goes on for days at a time giving RPM the upper hand there. For GLARC I'd lean towards the 9 port Flash Rally but its not a cheap motor. Other choices would be in the range of the Top motors or the 7 port Kappo Rally.

As far as a cheaper alternative goes we often lean towards the Basic Sport motors like the N21-5t or the N21-R7. Both motors are very solid and have proven themselves to be contenders. These motors are very well rounded so this is often where I point guys who are looking to save $$$ but still have good quality.

My favorite part of GT is engine is double edged. You can go with an Off-Road setup on a small track and dominate due to massive bottom end. You can go to long track and listen to the 46.8k RPM of a Flash and bring home a win with RPM. They both don't have an advantage until track length takes effect.

At 3500 grams it is a very flat field as far as motor goes. You can get RPM crazy or you can get Torque crazy. You can also find a mid range and be well rounded. That's my favorite part; if it weighs 3500 grams I don't care what you have in it lets race

Here are the motors I talked about above
N21-5T http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...&cat=87&page=1
N21-R7 http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/home.php?cat=89
Plus 21 BTTA Tuned http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...&cat=78&page=1
New Top Motors by Novarossi http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/home.php?cat=131
Kappo 21 Rally http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...&cat=82&page=1
Flash 21 Rally http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...&cat=82&page=1
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Hi! I had a 5 port Off-Road, all steel bearings in a Kyosho GT2. I then put a 9 port On-Road in. There was a big difference. First of all the GT2 is overgeared for a 21 engine with 15/43-18/40-43/13 stock. But the top speed is ridiculous. That being said the standard 5 port was more able to handle the stock gearing of the kyosho than the 9 port On-Road. But with the 9 port the mid range and top speed was way faster. It was night and day but the 9 port would heat-up more, even with an off-road head on it.

I switched to a Team C GT8 car and the gearing is a lot shorter than the kyosho. I run my 9 port in it. It's pretty fast and lots of punch.

I think that for each engine and track there is an appropriate gearing. At the end of the day I would imagine we want the engine/gearing combination that will give you enough punch and top speed for a given track.

But there also the handling of the car to take into consideration as well as the driving style. The power band is different from an engine brand to another. Some are smoother, some are more punchy. And each driver will have a preference and his own way to tune his chassis. That is another factor to take into consideration because other than the gearing/engine combo, the set-up of the car will also have a major influence on the overall speed of the car on a given track...
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Tech Adept

IMO, there's no need to put onroad engine. A off road engine will do the job.
I have werks b5 on my IGT2. I'm on my 10 gallon now still run like champ.
Sakura xi sport USGT
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 318 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
IMO, there's no need to put onroad engine. A off road engine will do the job.
I have werks b5 on my IGT2. I'm on my 10 gallon now still run like champ.
Sorry had to laugh 10 gallon Werks B5.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 318 (100%+)

A good sleeper engine is a Ofna JL 7 port.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to concur with Ty. Nova Rossi has a great selection of top notch engines that work great in the GT8 cars.