R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Tire Help

I used to run JACO Capped tires before I switched to foams. I could get three hours of consistent grip out of these tires every Sat. and Sun, for a month before they needed to be replaced.

I was wondering if there were any tire gurus out there that could point me in the direction of a tire with a high rate of wear like my old caps.
WingZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Tech Master

I'm no tire guru but as far as I know the only way your going to get longer lasting foams is to go with a higher shore rating.

not always an option to change, but pos and neg camber eats up foams in a hurry.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I'm sorry. I should have been more detailed in my post. I wanted to know of a very high wear rubber tire. I have been running 40 shore fronts and 45 shore rears on my R40 since I got it.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZero
I'm sorry. I should have been more detailed in my post. I wanted to know of a very high wear rubber tire. I have been running 40 shore fronts and 45 shore rears on my R40 since I got it.
can't help you there...... nothing but foams go on my R40..

do you run on a really high traction track?
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They make capped tires for nitro touring cars? Someone hand me a link.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #6

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

JACO Nitro Shoes are a new foam tire from jaco that are specially developed for nitro racing. They have compounds that are supposed to last longer.

As for running Rubbers on an R40, your not supposed to do that. It will be quite slippery.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

OK no rubber under the R40. The track is a very tight 100ft X 50ft layout in a parking lot. We don't put down any traction additive and kinda let mother nature determine the traction at times. Best traction is after a rain.

JACO used to make rubber capped tires a few years ago. They wern't legal for racing because they had a super low rate of ware(months if you were good to them) and very good traction. They only made two compounds, medium green and soft yellow. The green compound was all I used to run at races because they hooked up throughout the year(had to warm them up for winter use). No matter if there was no traction at all in that dusty lot, those tires hooked up.

www.bsr-racing.com BSR also used to make some but had way more compounds.

Last edited by WingZero; 06-16-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
Tech Master

Wing,

I have used Sorex 36r and HPI 33r's both with the HPI green or red molded inserts. They will both last you a long time. You might need a different tire compound depending on the track temp where you race. In low traction, the rubber tires do work better then the foams. When I use rubber tire, I change my front toe to 1 degree toe out and 1 degree neg camber all around. Thats about the only change I make.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info Rapid.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone use the BSR caps before?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Wing,

I have used Sorex 36r and HPI 33r's both with the HPI green or red molded inserts. They will both last you a long time. You might need a different tire compound depending on the track temp where you race. In low traction, the rubber tires do work better then the foams. When I use rubber tire, I change my front toe to 1 degree toe out and 1 degree neg camber all around. Thats about the only change I make.
Wow, hearing about old hpi rubber compounds brings back fond memories. I still have a set or two of the 33r's. Never heard of capped tires though.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #12

Also if you guys want a good tire. I just got some ellegi rubber tires for my rs4-2. They are 26mm wide. And come in two compounds , hard and soft.

I got these for so cheap you would probably cry so Ill just keep the price to msyelf. But lets just say. I stocked up on a a couple of sets and spent like $20. (darn I knew I couldnt keep that one in , sorry)

They look amazing , come premounted and thats about all I needed.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

performula, I have before. They have the same basic compounds as the Capped tires for oval. I used to run green medium in the front and blue medium/hard in the rear on my old NRS4. These tires with the stock suspension setup was great for me and my driving style. They were very durable tires, and I might get more from BSR if I can't find a cheaper alternative in a regular tire and insert combo. I just wanna see if the R40 can perform with rubber tires cause I am getting tired of chunking foams(I drift through corners sometime and it can be faster).

Artifical-I, where did you order the Ellegi rubber from, I might want to check them out.

I have a feeling that rubber tires will go the way of the dinosaurs in a year or two.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #14
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZero
performula, I have before. They have the same basic compounds as the Capped tires for oval. I used to run green medium in the front and blue medium/hard in the rear on my old NRS4. These tires with the stock suspension setup was great for me and my driving style. They were very durable tires, and I might get more from BSR if I can't find a cheaper alternative in a regular tire and insert combo. I just wanna see if the R40 can perform with rubber tires cause I am getting tired of chunking foams(I drift through corners sometime and it can be faster).

Artifical-I, where did you order the Ellegi rubber from, I might want to check them out.

I have a feeling that rubber tires will go the way of the dinosaurs in a year or two.
WING

We race on Rubber Tires only down here....way down south (Peru), on a semi permanent unprepared track.

We've tried everything under the sun, and we use to race Jaco precapped tires (exelent tires), and when they discontinued them, we switched to BSR precapped tires...wow...great tires...but very expensive and illegal.

So we then started the search for a good grip, long lasting, premounted legal Rubber tire...and we found it. PMT Rubber Tires from Italy....and we now race nothing but them.
They come premounted in BBS style rims 26mm belted slick or threaded formats, and in 40, 45, 50, and 55 shore rating.
They last for one hour hard racing before the belt starts to show.

We are Distributors for South America for PMT, and a set of four sells for
U$D 36.00 plus shipping charges. We have 50 shore fronts and 45 shore rears slicks on stock, which is what works down here.
If you are interested send me a Private mail and we can work something out.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

When I can't find aan alternative I will send you a PM. Thanks. I know how well PMT tires work on 1/5 cars.