Wiki Posts
Search

OMG Rust in Fuel Tank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default OMG Rust in Fuel Tank!

ARGGgggHHhHhhhhh!!!

the steel fuel pump rod in my tank has rust on it!!
no one has mentioned anywhere that would happen or that we have to oil that!! OMG OMG OMG....

Any advice what i can do???
Old 06-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

GET A NEW FUEL TANK!!!!!!!!!!!! mayb you got water in the tank.... i dont know just get a new tank.

Mike
Old 06-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Im like super sad right now... trying to clean it up....

I did notice that there were water droplets on the upper surface everytime after running, didnt think it would affect anything....

Is it normal to have water droplets after every run??
Old 06-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Heres the process to end your day of nitro running motor wise.

1. After your car runs out of gas when running it. Bring it over to you and apply the glow starter and try starting it for a little till the car completely stops firing at all, it will probably change sound a bit too and clear out. You can even put your finger over the exhaust to help direct more pressure into the tank to clear it out more. I sometimes clear out the tank this way. I remove the fuel line , apply my finger and put it on the starter.

2. Then make sure your piston is at BDC. A simple mark on the flywheel while ensuring the piston is a BDC beforehand makes this easy to check.

3. Remove glow-plug and apply a couple of drops of after-run oil and then turn the motor over via the starter/pull-start a couple of seconds. Stopping it again at BDC.

Then tilt the car to the side and make sure all the oil is out of the pipe and wipe that off and your good.

-- If you leave even the tiniest bit of fuel in the tank it will form water vapor and could cause rust in no time. But it shouldnt rust, I would figure whatever they use in a tank should be rust resistant or something as nitro fuel will bring on water.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Maybe you got bad fuel. How old is the fuel or how long did the hobbyshop have it prior from you purchasing it ? Was the fuel stored correctly ???
Old 06-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
2. Then make sure your piston is at BDC. A simple mark on the flywheel while ensuring the piston is a BDC beforehand makes this easy to check.
Umm whats BDC?

Originally Posted by Roger
Maybe you got bad fuel. How old is the fuel or how long did the hobbyshop have it prior from you purchasing it ? Was the fuel stored correctly ???
Not sure how long they kept it, im using Hotstuff 25%. recently learnt to squeese out all the air from the bottle, had air in it for like 2 weeks? hope thats not too bad?

Thanks guys for the tips
Old 06-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Bottom Dead Center. Piston is at the bottom of the cylinder.
That fuel tank has been around for years, Kyosho has used it in vehicles for a long time. I don't think its steel or any other ferrous metal (it won't rust). I have cut many off, removed it and replaced it with a screw. It always leaked.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

OOohh..haha sorry for my ignorance..

well i guess its not anti rust after all... the rust im seeing is fairly light fine brown... Im still trying to scrape it with a flat screw driver and afterrun oil...