R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Air travel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/750200-air-travel.html)

Serpent-Dan 08-09-2013 10:21 AM

Air travel

Hey guys. What do most of you guys carry on when traveling with you cars on an airplane?

TerribleTy 08-09-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan (Post 12430551)
Hey guys. What do most of you guys carry on when traveling with you cars on an airplane?

Carry on radio gear and car rtr minus fuel. Check everything else. This way if they loose your bags you can still race as someone will hook you up at the track for sure.

Serpent-Dan 08-09-2013 02:43 PM

Thanx

blis 08-09-2013 03:41 PM

Ive flown wth car in hand luggage, I was covered in Nitro straight after race and had them swab check/air sniff and all clear. I place a piece of fuel line under fuel cap to keep it open and insulated my battery connectors just in case. Never had a problem here in Australia.

Jspeed 08-09-2013 03:53 PM

Dan,

Play it safe with the TSA, take out the fuel tank, engine and batteries out of the chassis, then take battery out of transmitter; put them all in a separate bag. Better safe than sorry. ;)

jneg 08-09-2013 04:43 PM

Well I take the tank out, make sure it is extra clean.
I also take out the motor and it to be extra clean and in its box.
Batteries must be disconnected and have then in a reachable place so if the ask about them be ready to take them out. Remember Lipo if they find them they will take them out. so I always remove anything that says Lipo/;)
I have never taken the car or the transmitter as carry on but most do that like blis said.

One thing is that they will ask you what do you have in the luggage never NEVER EVER say the words nitro, Fuel, or Gas or anything of that matter. Just say RC stuff that's it and sometimes they just ask if its sporting equipment just say yes. but be ready to say that you are representing your country or state or some crap like that, it helps.

My bag has a TSA approved lock, wish means that even though it is locked to most, but TSA has a master key to be able to open it. Because of this I always use a plastic wire strap (zip tie) where my lock goes. this will be the only thing that will tell me if the bag was opened or not. If the zip tie is no longer in its place, open and check that everything is there. If it isn't cut then you can be sure no one has opened your bag. TSA has pliers to cut it if needed so its no problem to them. If something is missing from the bag you can make the reclamation right there. The worst thing is to have to go to the airport after you are at the hotel. Also always have at least one change of clothes in your carry on. That way you can have a early practice/race day until your bag arrives or you can get to a mall and buy new stuff.

Another thing when traveling to a race is to try to meet as many people as possible and have fun with it.