R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,289
Trader Rating: 228 (100%+)
Default Lipo reciever pack?

Hi, I have a question. I just bought a car with a 1200mah lipo receiver pack, without a voltage regulator. I was wondering if anyone has ran NON high voltage servos with a lipo receiver pack/without a regulator?
berwicknitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwicknitro View Post
Hi, I have a question. I just bought a car with a 1200mah lipo receiver pack, without a voltage regulator. I was wondering if anyone has ran NON high voltage servos with a lipo receiver pack/without a regulator?
Yes. I have ran 6 V servos on LiPos before. You are just taking a chance. I have had servos that have not been effected and have improved their performance because of the extra voltage ... maybe getting a little hotter then before. I have also had servos that have burnt out after a few uses!!
So if you do decide to use 6V servos with a lipo .... don't be surprised if they burn out.
On the other hand .... you can get good lipo compatible servos cheap now .... look up Sola servos ....

Also .... remember ..... your receiver needs to be able to handle LiPo voltage swell. If it can't you will have get a regulator (I have one which brings the voltage to 6.5V without any issues!)
Or get a new received / Radio system?!

Hope this helps

BM
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?

Last edited by British Menace; 07-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

I did ..... 7.4V with futaba pcm1024 receiver and hitec 7995 tg servos.

Its working allright ...... however, you are taking chances like BM said ....... I dont know when my servos are going to quit working ...... because i dont use my offroad buggy very often....... maybe only 10 - 20 minutes per year.

My suggestion, if you insist of using 7.4V lipo direct, please do not peak or fully charge the lipo battery ...... you limit the charge up to 1000mah and stop charging it.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,964
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
I did ..... 7.4V with futaba pcm1024 receiver and hitec 7995 tg servos.

Its working allright ...... however, you are taking chances like BM said ....... I dont know when my servos are going to quit working ...... because i dont use my offroad buggy very often....... maybe only 10 - 20 minutes per year.

My suggestion, if you insist of using 7.4V lipo direct, please do not peak or fully charge the lipo battery ...... you limit the charge up to 1000mah and stop charging it.
I've been running a lipo(no regulator) with my Futaba 9551 servos for 2 years with no problems. I think the biggest factor is what type of load will you be putting on your servos. In my application 1/10 nitro sedan, I believe the load on my servos is very small; this is why I have not had any problems. My buddy has tried the same thing with his Nitro GT car and has burned up 3 servos.
If your going to gamble and run without a regulator think about the loads that you may be placing on your servos during a long race. If I ran nitro GT or any off road class I would definitely run a regulator. That or just use a LIFE battery


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,289
Trader Rating: 228 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
I've been running a lipo(no regulator) with my Futaba 9551 servos for 2 years with no problems. I think the biggest factor is what type of load will you be putting on your servos. In my application 1/10 nitro sedan, I believe the load on my servos is very small; this is why I have not had any problems. My buddy has tried the same thing with his Nitro GT car and has burned up 3 servos.
If your going to gamble and run without a regulator think about the loads that you may be placing on your servos during a long race. If I ran nitro GT or any off road class I would definitely run a regulator. That or just use a LIFE battery


Pass you soon...
I mostly run 1/10th scale dirtoval.. We mostly race just 4min races, and the cars are about the same weight as your onroad cars.. I might give it a shot, until I can find a regulator..
berwicknitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Serpent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne Vic
Posts: 15
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwicknitro View Post
I mostly run 1/10th scale dirtoval.. We mostly race just 4min races, and the cars are about the same weight as your onroad cars.. I might give it a shot, until I can find a regulator..
I don't suppose your in "Berwick" Aus? By Ur user name..
I'm moving OS in a month and stopped running lipos
For receiver and went LiFe for my serpent 747 1/10th
If your in Berwick Aus or wanting to pay postage/pick up
I've got a few good volt regs you can HAVE!
I've got a good norm reg and a adj reg as well..
Ill keep one and the other two can go.. I've got over 150+ spares for my
Car in a 3 drawer pit bag not that this will lighten my load, but always happy to help someone out when I've got a few and won't use them..
Ones new sealed other used slighty in ex cond..
Can post pics on here or via email if you want them..
Pay the postage if it wont exceed the price or whatever, you can have both mate..if your in Berwick Aus where I'm living now, by all means pick em up..
Cheers
Ryan
__________________
~Serpent 747 -2013 upgrades~ 2013 REDS Racing M3-WCup Team Tuned Engines~
~2013 REDS Hipex Mr Tuned pipe set/s~ Savox~ Spektrum~ Enneti~ SRS-N/P37~
-- BSP "Ben Sterling Products Melb" --
~~~BIG THANKS TO "WALTER HOBBY RC" 4 LOADING ME UP WITH GOODS!~~~
Serpent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,289
Trader Rating: 228 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent007 View Post
I don't suppose your in "Berwick" Aus? By Ur user name..
I'm moving OS in a month and stopped running lipos
For receiver and went LiFe for my serpent 747 1/10th
If your in Berwick Aus or wanting to pay postage/pick up
I've got a few good volt regs you can HAVE!
I've got a good norm reg and a adj reg as well..
Ill keep one and the other two can go.. I've got over 150+ spares for my
Car in a 3 drawer pit bag not that this will lighten my load, but always happy to help someone out when I've got a few and won't use them..
Ones new sealed other used slighty in ex cond..
Can post pics on here or via email if you want them..
Pay the postage if it wont exceed the price or whatever, you can have both mate..if your in Berwick Aus where I'm living now, by all means pick em up..
Cheers
Ryan
PM sent..
berwicknitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Get a LiFe pack. Slightly lower voltage, nearly indestructible. Just make sure your charger has a mode for them.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 24
Default

Like Wingracer said. run LiFe packs if you like to run it with normal 6V servo. Been had so much issue with LiPo running with regulator before...............
rc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net