R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default rs4 2, temperary racer, what hopups?

well, i'm just getting into onroad and I got an hpi rs4 for free which my dad has had in the closet for over a year.
It runs great, but I know it is not at all competative, but I want to do some work to it and race some before purchasing a better kit. I know I need some better tires, a two speed (at least I think I would), and a .12 motor. Any other ideas?
If you know of anything I can do to it that would transfer over to an r40 later on, that would be excellent.

The only thing I have on it as of now, is a front belt tensioner because I've lost the front belt probably three times in five tanks (guess it stretched the first time and after that doesnt quite fit tight enough) do I need tensioners on the other belts as well? if so, where can I find these?

thanks
pedro
pedro_sandchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone

Only the front belt tensioner is enough.

If you want to race, you definitely want to get the 2 speed and the side brace. Also, foam tires and anti-roll bars would be good to have. I don't know how many of those items transfer to the R40 (probably none, except the engine).

Keep in mind, though, that the rs4-2 is a rather old chassis and even when fully hopped up will have a very hard time keeping up with the more 'pro' cars. Back in the day when the rs4-2 was current HPI also offered an rs4-2 'race' edition. You may want to see which option parts are on there.

Look http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/catalog2k2/18-19.jpg and http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/nitroracer2/nr2-m.htm .
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #3

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Sell the rs4-2 and get an r40. You can get r40's for $120. So im sure you could almost get that for the rs4-2 from someone.

Then you get a brand new r40. Which you will want anyway. And it comes with everything needed to be fully competitive. Including brand new race foam tires.

I feel this will be your best move budget wise. Youll be wasting your money on the rs4-2, it wont perform and when your finally ready to sell that all the money you spent you wont get back cause no one wants those cars that bad anymore.

But you should be able to get enough to buy those r40 kits that are on mega sale right now. Which your lucky this deal is even going on....because otherwise you would be pretty much stuck with the rs4-2.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 AM   #4

http://modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunctio...n&ItemID=15441

Just cause everyone keeps asking where to find the link. Here is the link. Now start going around and asking friends and people around the forums maybe even if they want to buy a rs4-2 for $120.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

i know the 4s4 isnt going to be competative, I just want something to play around with for a month or so to make sure I'm going to like racing onroad (been racing t-maxx's for a a ocuple years now) before I go spend a gang of money
Old 06-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #6

Umm, your going to spend more than $120 getting that car competitive. Why do that when you can spend nothing and get an r40 with the parts you need and the chassis is going to run much better.

If your going to find out if you like on-road doing it with a civic over a nsx its just not going to work right.

And in probably 2 weeks that deal is going to be gone. So If you want to get an r40 you should do it now.

Dont be lazy like most everyone else when they get something new. They get ready to just plop down and do whatever they need to whatever they have. While they have the option to get something better just for a little good planning and they even come up with excuses as to why there way is better.

Its not and dont fool yourself. Get the r40 and do it the right way.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
asking friends and people around the forums maybe even if they want to buy a rs4-2
Friends don't let friends buy an rs4-2 . Other than that I can only agree with you. Hopping up the rs4-2 will cost more than a new supersale R40 (probably comes even close to a 'regular' priced one).

Finding out if you like on-road by driving a poorly handling, slow, not-competition-worthy car will most likely result in a dissapointment, while driving on-road with a fast R40 really is great fun...
Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

thanks for the help guys.
I totally agree
but you keep mentioning how much it willl cost to up the rs4, but I dont plan on doing that at all, I just wanted to know what I could get to make it temperarily hold up. But, since teh r40 can be had so cheap, i'll probably just order that sometime this weekend.
how long does shipping take for that webiste seeing as I'm in the states and its a UK site?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Like most other things...1-2 weeks I am sure. But who cares? Get that kit. That is by far the best price I have EVER seen for a kit at that level. Damn...buy 2 of them...and you have all your spares for very cheap!!!!

John

P.S. If you dont like racing I am sure that you can sell those kits for AT LEAST what you paid...
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:41 AM   #10

Yeah I guess you need the tires and the r40 will have those. You could keep the rs4-2 for bashing on the street but when you drive the r40 youll need to find a specific area for running or goto a race at a prepared track thats the best way.

Or sell to make up for the costs.

I get stuff from hong kong , korea , japan. Takes 2 weeks max. I just had something lately come through in about 4-5 days. It will go through customs and thats normally where you will find a delay. At least when I watch things in tracking they can sometimes sit for a bit.

But who knows that could be just how they update it. Yeah I believe im going to order one as well for spares....
Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
Tech Adept

The shop that's linked to earlier in this topic is based in the UK. Keep in mind that the car as advertised there is 99 british pounds, not 99 dollars. (Or do I see a different price because I connect from holland?).

Anyway... 99 pounds is about 180 dollars. Add to that shipping to the US.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlone
The shop that's linked to earlier in this topic is based in the UK. Keep in mind that the car as advertised there is 99 british pounds, not 99 dollars. (Or do I see a different price because I connect from holland?).

Anyway... 99 pounds is about 180 dollars. Add to that shipping to the US.
Where are you calculating this. I use xe.com and it says its 120 converted??
Old 06-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #13
Tech Adept

xe.com Universal Currency Converter Results
Live mid-market rates as of 2005.06.10 15:03:22 UTC.
99.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds
= 179.541 USD United States Dollars

1 GBP = 1.81355 USD
1 USD = 0.551405 GBP
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #14

Darn those symbols.

Well I just ordered it for the hell of it. Ill let you know how it really converts out and how much shipping is. Oddly enough when going to purchase it, the price became 84. So that converts to about $152 still far cheaper than what people are selling them used and $100 cheaper than I can get in the states.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #15

Wow shipping is outright insane. Nevermind on the deal. So lets get back to you and your rs4-2. Sorry about that.

Does it have any hop-up parts on it beside the tensioner? Ill try and help yah with it for sure....