R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Tamiya TG10 Mk.2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/74361-tamiya-tg10-mk-2-a.html)

JLock 06-05-2005 05:19 PM

Tamiya TG10 Mk.2

Is there anyone out in the r/c world that has this car? I just picked up one last week and assembled it this weekend. I put a spare OS 12tr motor in it and the car seems to have some pep in its step, very swift out of the hole. It comes with a very good Mugen/Serpent centax-style clutch that is sweet (two shims under the bearing on the inside of the clutchbell, four shims on the top of the thrust bearing). It is the Tamiya version of the Kyosho FW-05 aka: an improvement over the TG10 mk.1. The only thing that might hurt the car is that it does not come with many spur gear choices (similar to the NTC3). I am looking to run this car at big venue races soon and just want to know if anyone has one and what, if any, issues they may have had/be having. Also, for others that may have read recent reviews of the car in some of the current mags, pipe in with your pros and cons as well.

sml_blok 06-08-2005 06:39 AM

Hi JLock,

I've had a Mk.2 Chassis kit for a little while now, also with OS .12TR, using tamiya TM-9 pipe.

I had problems with the Throttle/Brake servo quiting on me a couple times, but I think it was a poorly adjusted Brake end-point causing too much stress on the servo - it works fine now.

There was a quick article on the Mk.2 in RCNitro's March 2005 issue, but not much was said - it didn't seem to be an in depth test. (http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/backissues/display.asp)

Is yours the Chassis kit as well?

some pics:
http://www.netit.ca/rc/pics/138_3857_small.jpg
http://www.netit.ca/rc/pics/138_3804_small.jpg
http://www.netit.ca/rc/pics/140_4034_small.jpg

/sml_blok

JLock 06-08-2005 10:06 AM

Sml_blok,

Yes, mine is the chassis kit, just like yours. In fact, mine looks identical to yours except the servos (I am using Airtronics servos). Also, those are some sweet painted bodies that you have for yours. I am still in the testing stages with mine, but I am liking the swiftness out of the hole the car has. I also noticed that the price on replacement parts are in line with Mugen/Associated. During one of my tests, I did not turn the car quick enough and it hit a board at me local track pretty hard head on. I inspected the car and there was no damage or tweak. I like the simple layout of the car and the fact that you can clean it in a snap due to its simple layout and the gears are much easier to access over the NTC3 if you need to change them out. I will try to post some pics of mine shortly.

roadrage 06-09-2005 07:34 PM

i have one ,and it drives like my fw05

JLock 06-10-2005 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by roadrage
i have one ,and it drives like my fw05

Is that a good thing or bad thing? Elaborate some for us.

rc_alan 06-10-2005 07:19 AM

Sml_blok... Nice looling ride!!! I'm not a Tamiya guy, but when I went to the RCX last month in Anahiem Cali, I went over to the Tamiya display just to see the TG10 Mk.2 and to see any new hop-ups for the car... Strainge thing was that the car wasn't even displayed... I asked one of the Tamiya rep. where was the car and I was told they don't have a car like that.... :weird: They had every other product there but the Mk.2... The 415, there new 1/10 scale nitro buggy and there Nitro and eletric RTR's but that was it... I said your company does have the car and to ask your partner working with you. His partner corrected him and said yes we do have the car and that it came out at the beginning of the year, but couldn't explain way the car was not shown at the RCX... No car, no tune pipe, no foam tires, no gears... Nothing. And what is so :weird: is that, Tamiya USA head-quarters is only about 5 miles away from Anahiem CA..... :weird: I think the Mk.2 is there best Nitro product effort to date... I just hope they support it like they do there 415 electric 1/10 seden and have there Team drivers run the car against the world's best nitro sedan drivers.... It does the car no good if you only see a couple in parking lots and local tracks chasing a setup ect... Not flaming the company or car in any way... It's just sad to see the lack of support when compared to companies like AE, RD-Logics, Mugen, HPI, Serpent ect...... Good luck guys...

RC_Alan

sml_blok 06-10-2005 08:28 AM

Thanks rc_alan,

I agree with you, there's not mutch buzz at all about this car (yet?) the TRF site has nothing Nitro, and there's not much on the various forums, but I'm still surprised they didn't have at least one @ RCX.

Luckily I've had alot of help/support from my LHS, who are also building/racing one of their own. I'm racing TCS this weekend - if the weather holds up - hopefully I'll see a bunch there...

/sml_blok

JLock 06-10-2005 09:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback fellas; keep it coming. I have ordered a bunch of spare parts for mine but had to get them from Tamiya direct. There need to be other distributors that carry their parts for easier ordering. The write-ups I have seen on the car have been very good but I have to agree with that Tamiya is not hyping the car like they should. They say they want to be a major player in the nitro touring market but then drop the ball in promotions/product support. The car, like its Kyosho twin, looks promising as a player in the major touring category but Tamiya needs to back there product more than they are now. Once I get my parts, I will be running it in some local club races soon.

JLock 06-10-2005 10:01 AM

Sml_blok,

I think that the Yokomo semi body is way cool, especially in the purple color.

sml_blok 06-12-2005 07:13 PM

Thanks JLock,

More pics: The TCS race was cancelled due to rain this morning, but here's the Tamiya body, Xanavi Nismo Z:

http://www.netit.ca/rc/pics/146_4662_small.jpg
http://www.netit.ca/rc/pics/146_4666_small.jpg

sml_blok

rccrazy68 06-12-2005 07:46 PM

I own it and Race It.

Here is my opininion on the care....

I have geared it to the moon. Our track is huge! I put a JP .12 mod motor in it and the car has no problem with speed.

the biggest problem I have with the care is exiting corners. The car dives in great but offers severe push while on power exiting. We run foam tires ( just a note).

First does anyone have any thoughts or do you know of any documented setup sheets?

I am running 5mm ride height all the way around

Front Oil: 60wt.
rear oil: 40wt.

Hard spring up front
Medium spring in the rear.

Drop in front is 2mm measured from the bottom of the knucke. It has very little up travel.

Drop in rear is 0mm. ( i have tried all combinations.)

Diff Oil in front is 30,000
Diff Oil in reaar is 10,000

Toe in: Front 0
Toe in: Rear 2

Camber Front 0
Camber Rear: 2

Caster in front is leaning back. The spacer is in the front.

I really need help.

JLock 06-12-2005 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rccrazy68
Here is my opininion on the care....

I have geared it to the moon. Our track is huge! I put a JP .12 mod motor in it and the car has no problem with speed.

the biggest problem I have with the care is exiting corners. The car dives in great but offers severe push while on power exiting. We run foam tires ( just a note).

First does anyone have any thoughts or do you know of any documented setup sheets?

I am running 5mm ride height all the way around

Front Oil: 60wt.
rear oil: 40wt.

Hard spring up front
Medium spring in the rear.

Drop in front is 2mm measured from the bottom of the knucke. It has very little up travel.

Drop in rear is 0mm. ( i have tried all combinations.)

Diff Oil in front is 30,000
Diff Oil in reaar is 10,000

Toe in: Front 0
Toe in: Rear 2

Camber Front 0
Camber Rear: 2

Caster in front is leaning back. The spacer is in the front.

I really need help.

Try this setup.

Ride Height:
5mm to 5.5mm front
6mm to 7mm rear

Droop:
2mm front
4mm rear

Toe in:
0.5 to 1 front
3 rear

Camber:
2 front
3 rear

Diff oil:
50,000 front
30,000 rear

Take the rear sway bar off if you don't have the front blade sway bar. This is what I currently have on my car (my MTX-3 setup) and with the rear sway bar, it have heavy understeer. I have yet to run the car without the rear sway bar. There are no known setup sheets from Tamiya or cyberspace so I borrowed from Mugen. The Mugen setup worked on my HPI R40 so I figured, what the heck, lets try it on this car and see how it flies.

JLock 06-12-2005 10:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the long awaited pics of my TG10 mk.2.

romuald31 06-13-2005 03:31 AM

Hello from France,

here's a good link for you.

Tamiya TG10Mk2

JLock 06-15-2005 08:06 AM

I got my back-up parts in yesterday, so now I can really put the car through its paces. I have a state series race coming up this weekend in which I may sneak the car in on a qualifier.