R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #16
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

I agree that I could go mid level as you suggested, but I made a promise to myself, that when I am buying my next radio it will be for life the top of the line (I don't tend to replace things too quickly, I usually keep them, unless they seriously limit my performance). I just believe that it's a better longterm investment this way over all.

Thanks
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #17
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
I agree that I could go mid level as you suggested, but I made a promise to myself, that when I am buying my next radio it will be for life the top of the line (I don't tend to replace things too quickly, I usually keep them, unless they seriously limit my performance). I just believe that it's a better longterm investment this way over all.

Thanks
Trust me....$280 for a good radio (like 3PK, Helio, M11...etc) for the next 10 plus years is NOT THAT BAD..........my futaba radio before my 3PK was the Futaba Megatech FT-P2PDF, I brought it when I was 20...good 15 years ago, I still use that radio for my Virtual RC and my Serpent IMPACT and my Serpent Impulse..........still working like NEW.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #18
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post. My parents always used to say "We are not rich so we cannot buy cheap things.." First time you hear that you go like "What????", but after ypou think about it, it is true many times in your life you don't even notice it.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

I just got my kit and I am looking forward what I will need to buy next.

1) Receiver battery pack - I would assume most people run 5 cells 900 mAh. Where did you get yours? Made it by yourself?
2) The kit comes with rear solid axle and front one way. For twisty tracks with medium to low traction I would think that rear ball diff would actually make the car drive around faster. What's your experience? What's the best place to get the diff?

I am sure I will have more question along building the kit and buying other parts.

Thanks to all for their input.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #20
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

Silly question probably, but is it only my browser or does anybody else cannot see the prices on their products? It always says public price: not available.

Also how do you order the stuff from them. I don't see any add to cart feature??

Maybe it's me late in the evening, but I just don't see it.

Thanks
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #21
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Silly question probably, but is it only my browser or does anybody else cannot see the prices on their products? It always says public price: not available.

Also how do you order the stuff from them. I don't see any add to cart feature??

Maybe it's me late in the evening, but I just don't see it.

Thanks
No need to use real ball diff unless you are doing 2WD, but if you find one used, and is cheap on EBAY (yes, EBAY is your store) get it, the diff would not hurt you a lot, but I do not think it will make your 4WD any faster...

Receiver pack, buy from Serpent (or look at EBAY, 710 705 packs will work)..I build my own, and I still using 750mah. As long as I charge before the main, I am all good...

Last, book mark these 2 pages

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/PDF%20files/SerPrice.pdf

and

http://www.gasrccar.com/AllProducts.htm

Go to SERPENT website to find the parts and parts # that you are looking for, then go to these 2 places to order your SERPENT parts. You cannot order parts direct from Serpent (unless you are dealer) and Serpent usually don't release their MSRP price , even though they do, those are the RETAIL price, not street price....like Ashford, Robert use their retail price and give 10% off........I think Winner Circle do the same......
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #22
Tech Adept
 
trashcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: hamilton ohio
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Diff

Agree,do not need diff in four wheel,it will slow you down.Much more consistent on power steering with a spool.
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #23
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcar
Agree,do not need diff in four wheel,it will slow you down.Much more consistent on power steering with a spool.
Just want to ask....is SPOOL = solid front? or = 1-way? or BOTH...? I am under impression that spool is always refered to solid front axle....thanks
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #24
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

Thanks guys.

I thought that the diff would make the rear end more stable under the .15 power which could lead to more consistent drive on low traction track.

I've been browsing around checking on engine prices and pipes and have a question. The new Mega ZX15 (orange head) 5 port, is this is not made by NovaMega anymore (I don't even know whether NovaMega is a brand name or company name)? Well novamega.com definitely doesn't say a thing about them. They only list SX15s (purple head). So who makes the new ZX 15 and is it much better then SX15(I've seen a couple used brand new in box for around 160 USD)? Does somebody make it for Serpent and they sell it as Mega ZX15? Just wondering.

Thanks
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #25
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

RS:

Yeah, as far as I know spool=solid axle. One way is different because you cannot use brakes. With spool you can, but you will loose some advantage of one-way.

But I feel Iam telling you something you already know (based on the stuff and knowledge you post), Maybe it's just the naming what makes it confusing or maybe I am totally wrong.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #26
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
RS:

Yeah, as far as I know spool=solid axle. One way is different because you cannot use brakes. With spool you can, but you will loose some advantage of one-way.

But I feel Iam telling you something you already know (based on the stuff and knowledge you post), Maybe it's just the naming what makes it confusing or maybe I am totally wrong.
Yes....I think I know, but I might not be correct.........the reason I asked is because he was referring the SPOOL on 835, as far as I know, there are no SPOOL for impact 835........unless he custom made 1, which I know some Mugen MTX3 owner (and Winner Circle) did machined one for the Mtx.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Thanks guys.

I thought that the diff would make the rear end more stable under the .15 power which could lead to more consistent drive on low traction track.

I've been browsing around checking on engine prices and pipes and have a question. The new Mega ZX15 (orange head) 5 port, is this is not made by NovaMega anymore (I don't even know whether NovaMega is a brand name or company name)? Well novamega.com definitely doesn't say a thing about them. They only list SX15s (purple head). So who makes the new ZX 15 and is it much better then SX15(I've seen a couple used brand new in box for around 160 USD)? Does somebody make it for Serpent and they sell it as Mega ZX15? Just wondering.

Thanks
Don't think too far ahead, get the 835 running and you should be happy with the solid rear front 1 way setting.......Impact is been around for a long time with that setup, so it must be good........again, only 2WD required the rear diff.

About engine, NOVA MEGA is NOT "MEGA", Serpent no longer has the line from NOVA MEGA (their engines were by Nova Rossi thats why it called NOVA MEGA).......right now, all the engine running by Serpent Team are from MEGA, it is made by PICCO, called Mega by Picco.

To answer your question, if you still want BIG BLOCK 15 engine, you have to look at LHS or EBAY and see anyone still want to sell theirs, right now, you will not find that much big block 15 except RB or may be Nova Rossi, Nova Mega is discontinued (ie, SX-15 series)

ZX-15 is small block 15 engine, it is jsut as fast as SX-15 but will last a little shorter then SX15 cause it is a small block..............I am using a OS 18 TZ on my Impact 2002............just as good and super fast, but not legal in any organized race.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #28
Tech Adept
 
trashcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: hamilton ohio
Posts: 201
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default spool

Spool=locked axle,front or rear. Spool+frt one way very good on power steering, Diff+ oneway=better off power steering not as consistent,diff+diff=better braking,easy to turn not ultimately as fast.Spool+spool=(should be)better brake,not as good at turn in,higher tire wear. Stay with spool and oneway faster easier to drive,many more tuning options.
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #29
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcar
Spool=locked axle,front or rear. Spool+frt one way very good on power steering, Diff+ oneway=better off power steering not as consistent,diff+diff=better braking,easy to turn not ultimately as fast.Spool+spool=(should be)better brake,not as good at turn in,higher tire wear. Stay with spool and oneway faster easier to drive,many more tuning options.

I don't know why I was keep thinking about the front....yes, Impact run solid SPOOL at rear...........it was my misunderstanding, sorry.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #30
mxs
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 152
Default

Thanks I am clear now on diff and novamega-serpent relation.

All right I tought all along that SX15 was a small block line. So you know 100% that SX15 3P, EV5 (2607, no such number on novamega site though) is a big block? How can one say if the site or info doesn't specify that. The size of the crank..? If it is indeed big block, I know a guy who has one NIB, so I would get it.

I am starting to build tonight (at least I hope...) and I noticed in the instructions that Serpent recommends OW (serpent oneway lube) made by them, but not supplied with the kit. How important is it that I use their stuff(I would have to order it) opposed to some more available product. If the primary reason is antiwear issue than perhaps I could use some of antiwear grease I have from my NTC3 times, but I would hate to blow a part later because I used wrong lube. What do you think.

Thanks
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
building tips for the 808? revracer222 Nitro Off-Road 2 08-06-2008 03:16 AM
Building off-road track, any tips? Brian Searles Chat Lounge 2 05-28-2008 07:03 AM
Looking for Track Building Tips beerbarron Electric On-Road 6 12-06-2005 11:43 AM
Kit Building Tips tjrcs Nitro On-Road 3 04-13-2003 11:18 PM
TC3 Shock Building Tips? CRASH Electric On-Road 2 03-25-2003 05:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:10 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net