R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   GT ... Which? Team C OR Serpent's Cobra? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/740196-gt-team-c-serpents-cobra.html)

British Menace 06-26-2013 06:45 AM

GT ... Which? Team C OR Serpent's Cobra?

Ok. So I want to "have a go" at GT and think I will get one of these two cars.

The Team C GT8 Nitro
OR
Serpent Cobra Nitro GT

So what do you GT guys think? I know there are going to be biased opinions here but thats ok.
Pro's Cons of each
Things that need work..... etc
How they drive.....

I've had a quick look at the threads and also seen a Cobra up close but not much time to study it though ..... I had my hands-full trying to get to grips with my own car :rolleyes:

At first glance at $529 you seam to get more for your money with the Team C car ...... but is it any good? Easy to work on?

The Sepent car seams very well made and has some quality parts...... does this make it a better car in your eyes?

Will I have to dress in orange if I get the Cobra ..... I look terrible in Orange :lol:

Needing to get a new project ..... :)

Thanks for any input you might all have.

British Menace

D.a.v.e 06-26-2013 08:01 AM

From what I can tell folks seem to recommend Serpent over Team C due to better parts support in the US.

I have the serpent and really like it. I have only bought about $150 worth of option parts in a effort to get it turning better (10 degree caster blocks, 0 degree hubs, hard spring for servo saver, and wheel off sets) plus some springs and a sway bar They do make it better but I don't think they are must haves..

I've drove it in 5 races now and maybe 6-8hrs of practice time and have yet to break anything or replace any parts due to wear.

Solara 06-26-2013 08:08 AM

Tony....You sit right behind me at Byron...and you should withness my frustration the whole weekend...but I will sums it up for you in a short form...

Ofna DM1 with lots of mod and options, 3 years of experience on that chassis...full weekend of head scratching, 29 laps 10:08....

Serpent Cobra GT (on Sunday morning qualifier with zero setup, practice and adjustment cause I was borrowing Bill Sydors backup car)....31 laps 10:04 with my car flipped 2 times (about 6 seconds delay each) by slow marker...

I don't know about you, but my decision is pretty obvious....

MantisWorx 06-26-2013 08:31 AM

I managed to get 32 10:07 (Q7) out of my Team C with a 18.0 for fast lap. pretty much the same as every other fast car there except Paolo and Jr! I was having engine issues most of the weekend, car was great best it has been. I am currently building two Turnkey kits for a couple of racers that are known in the class so the car is coming around. I get my prototype CVD's in a week or two that the factory made for me and they just released new spring kits. They also changed the gear case material to a material that is more heat resistent, in long runs the case would get soft. My point is that TeamC is not going away all of the suggestions that i give them they work on! Part support is not really an issue i keep most parts in stock on my website and order from the factory every two weeks, Us distributor just about every week. On top of that the New OFNA is the same basic car except long wheelbase and nitrohouse is fully stocked all of the time.

More on the comparo!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...fna-gt-v2.html

British Menace 06-26-2013 09:29 AM

Thanks all for the input and the insights.
Yes Howard .... I seen you were having fun. I think I might like these GT cars. Them and the F1 scene of course Hebe

Marcus .... you were very quick at the race last weekend .... contrast

BM

jneg 06-26-2013 09:59 AM

I would say the Serpent is a great car and very fast out of the box. I used to race a very mod DM1 and still the Cobra was faster. I also have the GT2 and the Cobra is much better. The Team C I haven't driven one yet but to me it needs a few mods to be really competitive. MantixWorx has his dialed as my riends have competed against him in a few events. But a good racer will be fast driving anything so taking the average racer and what they can do with the Cobra I would be more inclined towards the Cobra.

MantisWorx 06-26-2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jneg (Post 12292229)
I would say the Serpent is a great car and very fast out of the box. I used to race a very mod DM1 and still the Cobra was faster. I also have the GT2 and the Cobra is much better. The Team C I haven't driven one yet but to me it needs a few mods to be really competitive. MantixWorx has his dialed as my riends have competed against him in a few events. But a good racer will be fast driving anything so taking the average racer and what they can do with the Cobra I would be more inclined towards the Cobra.

Only mod needed is the one-way.Aluminum tranny mount and 10* c hubs, are nice but not a must have! Yes I have more than that on my car but so do the upper level guys in the class. IMO the cars are very close in box stock form, with the TeamC being easier on tire wear and easier to drive simply because of the flat chassis.

MantisWorx 06-26-2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by British Menace (Post 12292155)
Thanks all for the input and the insights.
Yes Howard .... I seen you were having fun. I think I might like these GT cars. Them and the F1 scene of course Hebe

Marcus .... you were very quick at the race last weekend .... contrast

BM

Thanx, I have a new setup that is really working well and cuts out some of the upgrades that i previously had. I have been minimalizing the car and have since went back to mostly stock parts now with the exception of the aluminum tranny mount, C hubs and brakes (which i am still working on). SInce my livelyhood revolves around R+D I am always testing designs and products which make the car easier to drive and perform better most of which are or will be available to the public. the latest has been a ball bearing supported ackerman bar which i also have one that was being tested for the Serpent over the weekend. My team mate drives a Cobra so I get to play with both cars on a weekly basis. Its a coin flip really but i think its obvious that the longer i work with the TeamC the better it is getting and the factory is really helping me out, thats always nice!

This past weekend was only my 5th race ever in nitro, homestead was my first! whatever car you go with be prepared for a serious addiction GT is simply the best nitro class out there, you just cant beat it. Top notch drivers, tire technology is awesome, REALLY great people, wicked engines and they are fast and getting faster with every event! your gonna love it! One of the coolest things at the Byrons event was tire strategy, there were some that were actually changing tires in the main! that is just cool as hell!

T-Hawk 06-26-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by MantisWorx (Post 12292338)
One of the coolest things at the Byrons event was tire strategy, there were some that were actually changing tires in the main! that is just cool as hell!

Nothing like blowing $100 in tires for a main:tire:

British Menace 06-26-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by MantisWorx (Post 12292338)
Thanx, I have a new setup that is really working well and cuts out some of the upgrades that i previously had. I have been minimalizing the car and have since went back to mostly stock parts now with the exception of the aluminum tranny mount, C hubs and brakes (which i am still working on). SInce my livelyhood revolves around R+D I am always testing designs and products which make the car easier to drive and perform better most of which are or will be available to the public. the latest has been a ball bearing supported ackerman bar which i also have one that was being tested for the Serpent over the weekend. My team mate drives a Cobra so I get to play with both cars on a weekly basis. Its a coin flip really but i think its obvious that the longer i work with the TeamC the better it is getting and the factory is really helping me out, thats always nice!

This past weekend was only my 5th race ever in nitro, homestead was my first! whatever car you go with be prepared for a serious addiction GT is simply the best nitro class out there, you just cant beat it. Top notch drivers, tire technology is awesome, REALLY great people, wicked engines and they are fast and getting faster with every event! your gonna love it! One of the coolest things at the Byrons event was tire strategy, there were some that were actually changing tires in the main! that is just cool as hell!

Yes ... I was impressed at the Byrons by the GT's.
I am inclined to the Cobra but I do like the flat chassis of the Team C car.
The work your doing on the car will serve you and Team C well and its good you are getting good support from them in your R&D work.

I will need to wait until after vacation and see how much money the kids (and wife ... I hope she isn't watching/ listening haha) leave me to spend.

Like I pointed out already ..... the Cobra does come with a very appropriate price-tag,

BM

MantisWorx 06-26-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by T-Hawk (Post 12292452)

I used the same set all weekend and will run them again this coming weekend:nod:

These are my tires after 38min into the main before a bearing blew out!they had two quals on them before the main!
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/x...psb08baeb7.jpg

tonylunatic 06-26-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by T-Hawk (Post 12292452)

I for one didn't blow $100 on tires, I actually ran the same set of 50s Sweeps for practice, 3 qualifiers, the C Main 20min which I won by a lap and the entire B main 30 min.

I drive the #2 Serpent Cobra made it's about 2+ years old now. I do have some prototype options and LRP upgrades on it. That have made the car easier to drive and setup IMO and have drastically reduced tire wear and no more RING OF DEATH.

Both cars are very good cars but both in completely stock out of the box form have their issues and need a bit of help.

Example the Cobra wears out pin drives like crazy, so invest in a pin tool and pins, easy fix.
The Team C has a issues as well, that are being resolved.

Both cars have a list of Pros and Cons that will go on forever. Just be happy we have choices and real support from the makers in the class. This will only help us grow.

Anyway you choose, both cars are only getting better and way faster. SO COME JOIN THE FUNNN!!! :)

FastPete 06-26-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tonylunatic (Post 12293008)
I for one didn't blow $100 on tires, I actually ran the same set of 50s Sweeps for practice, 3 qualifiers, the C Main 20min which I won by a lap and the entire B main 30 min.

I drive the #2 Serpent Cobra made it's about 2+ years old now. I do have some prototype options and LRP upgrades on it. That have made the car easier to drive and setup IMO and have drastically reduced tire wear and no more RING OF DEATH.

Both cars are very good cars but both in completely stock out of the box form have their issues and need a bit of help.

Example the Cobra wears out pin drives like crazy, so invest in a pin tool and pins, easy fix.
The Team C has a issues as well, that are being resolved.

Both cars have a list of Pros and Cons that will go on forever. Just be happy we have choices and real support from the makers in the class. This will only help us grow.

Anyway you choose, both cars are only getting better and way faster. SO COME JOIN THE FUNNN!!! :)

What drive pins do you use? Mugen?

tonylunatic 06-26-2013 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by FastPete (Post 12293445)
What drive pins do you use? Mugen?

I have tried and carry both Serpent and Mugen in my box. 3x13mm.

At times when replacing the pin with the Serpent ones the pin would just slide thur. The Mugen is a spec thicker and would stay in place. After 2-3 pin replacements I just replace with new cvd and out drivers all the way around.

FastPete 06-26-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tonylunatic (Post 12293460)
I have tried and carry both Serpent and Mugen in my box. 3x13mm.

At times when replacing the pin with the Serpent ones the pin would just slide thur. The Mugen is a spec thicker and would stay in place. After 2-3 pin replacements I just replace with new cvd and out drivers all the way around.

By the way, im sorry I didn't meet you at Byrons. I got your arm braces from RCshox like u said. Work great. I had the yellow cobra. I had that B main till my steering servo horn stripped.:cry: I the guy that accidently tried to stab u with the long screw driver in my pocket. Sorry again. The last day my friend said that's Tony Luna, I was like wow really. I just get wrapped up in my car at the track, and forget to talk to people.