R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Dragon
Default Need help starting Pull start

haha... sorry guys, im new to this...

Using the GXR-15 on the V-one S III...

I have been trying like 6 hours now, but i cant seem to get the car to start... fingers hurting...

I followed the manual like so closely... 1/2 turn here and there... doesnt start... got it to start it ONCE but died a while later...

could it be the trottle? been trying a slight trottle before pulling it...

AM i Missing Something?????
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In cases like this, always go back to the basics.

First, check the glow plug and your igniter. Pull it out and make sure the plug glows. It should glow bright.

Next, fuel. Is fuel getting to the engine? Check the lines and stuff. Pull the line off the carburetor and see if there's fuel there. Is the fuel good?

If this checks out, put everything back, and richen the mixture screws 1/4 turn. Try it now.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks Jiml,

I found the problem... not the plug but the heater itself... no power...hehe didnt know a glow plug actually "GLOWS"...

now trying to break in the engine... keeps stalling tho...
Old 06-02-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Hey guys, is it normal for the pipe to be spitting fuel? how do i solve it if its a problem?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Master

spitting fuel during break in is normal.. it means that its running rich.
if it keeps stalling you might try leaning it out an 1/8 turn on the hs needle.

If the engine is running that rich it might not be getting up to temp.. during break in you want it to reach a min of 180F and no more than around 220F otherwise your just wasting fuel.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Hey Dragon,

It`s normal for it to be spitting fuel if u`re breaking in ( running rich).

dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
Tech Regular

oh phew... tot something inside got spoilt...

but wierd tho... the first and tank didnt spit... the third now is spitting as if my fuel is free....

so if i want it to reach that temp i should increase my throttle?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Tech Master

break it in per the instructions that came with the engine. if its not hitting the temp doing it that way then you need to lean it out by 1/8 turns.
(clockwise on the hs needle)

if its not hitting 180f then your not really breaking it in.... the piston and sleeve need the heat to expand...
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tip

then i guess i should go another 1 or 2 tanks wif a higher trottle..
dun wanna spoil my first engine...

btw, u know the tube that goes from the pipe back to the fuel tank, issnt it like supposed to channel the fuel thats spitting out my pipe now?
cos the pipe is like dripping, but nothing is flowing back...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #10

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah that was always my problem when starting out. I would think one battery would cover it and my glow plug ignitor would kinda read like it had power so I thought it was good enough.

After about 15minutes of glow plug use or sitting on the engine that battery is done.

Its best to get the larger hobbico battery, those last awhile and will make sure your not having problems with your glow starter battery being low.

Another trick to get a engine to fire that might be rich...is pinch the fuel line. This will lean it out and keep pulling you should hear a change in the motor and it will want to fire more and more, then release and re-pinch a couple of times. It should fire up and if it does, lean it a bit on the hsn until the car seems to want to stay idling. If it doesnt , shut it off and return to the stock settings and go from there.

Also be sure to check the glow plug every once in awhile. Also your exhaust and motor can get pretty loaded up with full. Tilt it to the exhaust side and give it some pulls that should clear out some of the stuff. And kinda do that motion to extract stuff liquid from things...cant really explain it. Kinda like throwwing it down then stop real fast.

You should see a bunch of oil come out. That will make the car act rich and not want to start. Especially after 6 hours.

If you take longer than an hour, just give up for a bit. Re-check everything. Read around on forums. Then try again.

Also check rcnitro.com they have some good articles on nitro basics and starting your engine on the first pull and all that.

All good for referencing and checking what you need to get a good quick engine start.

If its a new motor, also try heating the motor up with a hair dryer for a few minutes. This helps get it to operating temp and will help it fire.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote