R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #1
Suspended

Default M8 compare to 3PK

can anyone give me some comments on M8 and 3PK.

which TX is better. M8 and 3pk.
NaNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I thing the M8 is much, much easier to program. I think the futaba might feel just a little bit better to me, but wasn't worth the programming hassle when the M8 is so user friendly. I just had em both, and sold the futaba.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Default Depends

Depends what ya run - I have both.

I think 3pk is better for nitro because it has motor warm up, built in
fail -safe, but it is heavier. It also has HRS and options for non futaba receivers.

M8 smaller - I think better for electric.

IMHO
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Guys, this is a very good thread. cause, i, myself am using a stock perfex controller and it`s totally useless.

Was looking at either the M11, 3PK or the KO propo EX helios. i like KO for it`s adjustable handle angle. but, in all u experienced guys opinion, if we were to compare all these 3 , which would be a prefered choice?

Thanks a bunch!
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone
Thumbs up

I've recently bought a 3PK and absolutely love it.

It was either the 3pk or the M8 for me (availability) and after looking at and toying with them I think both are excellent products. The M8 is definitley easier to use, but that does not mean the 3PK is hard to use. The 3pk has a very nice menu system with more options than you'll ever need, and some nice features for nitro cars like start assist and ABS. Also it has some modes especially for boats and electro vehicles.

I decided to get the 3PK because I liked the way it feels somewhat better than the M8. It's heavy, but very well balanced and with the included positioning adapter you can position the steering wheel as you see fit, for optimum comfort. And of course the coolest feature of them all: you can change the color of the power-on LED
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I have both and use both.

I prefer the 3PK because of the built-in failsafe and the really convenient timer functions.

Other than that, both radios are superb in every way for the serious racer.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Suspended

Default hi guys

guys thanks for ur infor here... hope got more comments from others guys. who is using 3pk or and m8...
NaNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pininfarina

hmmm, both are equally reputable.... personally I use 3pk for MT's 4 wheel steering, I could program a mix to have 4 wheel steering same direction or opposite direction on the fly with a touch of a button....

but for racing, you seldom use any of the functions... just skills..... radio is good as the driver...
Old 05-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pininfarina
but for racing, you seldom use any of the functions... just skills..... radio is good as the driver...
Ahahaha. That is so true. And I'm proving it after switching from a cv motor to a high dollar novarossi. lol. Actually the nova does make it easier to drive with the low end grunt. The cv had to keep the rpm's up.

Same thing with the radios. It's just nice to have some of the features. Basically all I use are endpoint adjustments, and dual rates, and model switching. And for those few things the m8 was just easier for me to use. If I'd have taken the time to learn the 3pk, I'm sure it would've been just as easy to me though.

Things like motor starting, or motor warm-up, thats just a bell and whistle. When I warm em up it's usually with the radio off and using my finger on the servo. The failsafe and the hrs of the futaba are nice features though.

As for the batts, the m8 used to be a battery hog and I'm sure the futaba isn't to much different. I went and got some 1100 mah nimh's from walmart though, and my m8 hasn't even went down a bar after two race days. That's racing two classes and practice also.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Tech Adept

When I first got my 3PK I put in 8 standard alkaline batteries. It went through them really really fast. After a few hours of playing the low battery alarm went off. Now I put in some 2500mAh sanyo NiMH batteries and I haven't had to recharge it yet
Old 05-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #11
Tech Addict

I dont think the 3pk is hard to program at all, everything is layed out very clearly in the menus. Its self explanatory, go into the menues locate the function you want to adjust, scroll down to it, then press the big gold button and a screen on that specific function comes up and you can adjust whatever. I think I'd find the m8 more confusing with everything on the screen at one time, all the abbreviations, and having to use the wheel to adjust stuff. IMO the 3pk has a better feel to it, due to the rubber grip that is actually shaped to your hand, while the m8 feels kind of plasticy and cheap. The main disadvantage of the 3pk is that the trigger sucks for braking, it is way to big, so unless you have really big fingers, your finger has to more a pretty long distance before you hit the part of the trigger that is pressed on for braking. I think that is what keeps alot of people away from the 3pk. Another thing is that with the PCM (Ive never tried HRS) it is really resistant to glitching. People seem to have glitching problems with the m8, but my radio has never glitched except when some one goes on my frequency, and once you set up the failsafe the car just stops and wont respond to anything when that happens. The m8 guys have to turn the reciever on the side and everything, my car doesnt even glitch if the antenna touches the graphite chassis.

If I were buying a radio right now, I would probably look at the helios, if the m11 is similar to the way the m8 is, I probably still wont like it.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Tech Elite

The 3pk I had here and sold, the guy before me heated the brake part of the trigger up and bent it more towards your finger. Thing was tight. I had bigger fingers than him and could barely get it between the throttle and brake part of the trigger.

Sounds like once again it's what people use themselves they think is the best. lol. You'll get the same thing when you ask what servos are best.

The best bet is to see if you can hold and just try out the different radios you are thinking about. They are all top of the line and will probably do way more than you'll ever need.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1
Sounds like once again it's what people use themselves they think is the best. lol. You'll get the same thing when you ask what servos are best.

The best bet is to see if you can hold and just try out the different radios you are thinking about. They are all top of the line and will probably do way more than you'll ever need.
yup.....
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:36 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1
Sounds like once again it's what people use themselves they think is the best. lol.
If they didn't think it is the best they wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Just 1 side question,

does the KO ex helios have an engine warming function too?

sounds good. what does it actually do?
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote