R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Hop Ups (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/73675-hop-ups.html)

jonto100 05-29-2005 02:50 AM

Hop Ups

Hello to all i am new to the wonderful world of r/c i recently bought am rtr 3 evo from my local hobby shop. I was just wondering wot hop ups anyone would suggest to get.many thanks

adamkerrnz 05-29-2005 02:56 AM

dont trust me on this one:

your first bet would be a radio upgrade, then mabe a new engine upgrade.

jonto100 05-29-2005 03:10 AM

I was thinking more in around the lines of just aluminum upgrades and different shocks etc do you no were i could get these via a website.

Genius 05-29-2005 05:45 AM

you might want to consider upgrading to the lightened flywheel. That would give you a little boost in terms of speed... and a another needed upgrade would be the adjustable turnbuckles. Also keep in mind that aluminum bends plastic flexes. :)

jonto100 05-29-2005 11:32 AM

Does anyone know were i could get these as my local hobby shop is a bit of a rip off. thanks

Qlone 05-29-2005 02:24 PM

Do you want to hop it up visually (lots of alu, some extra weight and no performance gain) or for speed and handling? (shocks, roll bars, engine, gearbox) ??

Kropy 05-29-2005 02:49 PM

I think adamkerrnez hit the nail on the head, The best hop-up you can make is to switch out that raido system for a better one.

The evo guy 06-26-2005 07:44 PM

you should go for the visual ,i made an led under lighting kit myself, cause the evo 3 speed ups arent worth the money

cheesyfeet 07-17-2005 04:41 AM

i put a load of blue led's underneath mine looks great with the subaru bodie just hook them up to the battery pack

Artificial-I 07-17-2005 04:55 AM

There kinda right. The rs4-3 isnt really worth modifying, it wont really net you much improvement..especially on a parkinglot. Just get power upgrades (motor , header + pipe , radio upgrades) and stuff that you break perhaps look into upgrades then for that part..Otherwise dont upgrade. Maybe get a few spring sets though for tuning, look up the setup sheets on hpi and see what they are using for the rs4-3.

Then get yourself some nice slick rubber tires. Possibly even try a set of jaco nitro foams (you can get them at rcmart.com for next to nothing and they are actually quite good performers).

Be sure to do one mod at a time so you know if it helped or not. Otherwise if you do a bunch at once you wont know what helped or not.

Id maybe also look into a new chassis (id suggest hpi since its the best but it costs 70 so look for cheaper options like on ebay) and not sure if your top chassis is CF / carbon-fiber if not maybe get that upgrade. Other than that....leave everything alone. Keep it clean , spray wd-40 on it every once in awhile , keep the filter clean , dont let dirt get in the engine ever , when your done for the day , run the car till it stalls , then put the glow-plug back on it , try to restart it and keep going until you cant start it anymore. This will ensure all fuel is out of the car to prevent rusting your motor.

Enjoy the hobby , maybe get another body. Then when your ready to race give that thing a try , then next year maybe get a better pro-car. Mugen mtx-4 might be out then , hpi r40 is ok if you get the hara edition its better , kyosho v-one-rrr is also good.

The evo guy 07-17-2005 01:13 PM

Even though its not really worth hooking up (I did like an idio) it kills on the small tracks cause of the tuning ratio and low end so its not that bad cause my friends super nitro cant keep up with me in the and that shit hits 75!! drag worth its hopeless unless u mod the engine position with little effort no cutting or drilling required. Mine has the 19 and 23 and its shifted over to the first set of hole so you can scare the pants of some pro racers