R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Fuel life

How long will nitro fuel last if stored indoors? I have a couple of gallons of fuel I bought a year ago that has not been opened and wondering if they are still usable? Thanks
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

This is a great question and I am curious to see what is posted here in response. I have noticed some differences in fuel stored on the concrete floor of my garage vs fuel stored on my shelves. I have no idea why but the stuff on the concrete floor is terrible and the shelf is just fine. I usually shake up my fuel if its been sitting for a while to make sure all the oils and everything are mixed well.

If I were you Id take a tank and see what the performance is like. Can you tune it in, is it stabile, does it get too hot, does it idle well. If it checks out to you Id run it. You can either try it and see or toss it, personally I like to turn my nitro in exhaust when I am getting rid of it
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I have a litre of 25% Torando from 2009 and I can still use it for tuning my 733 last week which I put aside for 3 and a half year.....the color change to a little darker but it still can work at least. maybe I am not asking too much from it, only to washing the engine and test run. It idles well and reasonably hot 115C when test run with a little rich.
DayDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The methanol that's in our RC fuel is like a sponge so if not "sealed" it will suck the water out of the air. Also light in general is not a friend of Nitro either. Basically humidity light and to much change in temperature will ruin your fuel & it will be far from being the quality of fuel that these engines need to run and tune properly.

Fuel should be stored in a metal storage type cabinet off the ground in a controlled climate. Ideally you would hope to buy it from your local RC shop as needed but we are not all that fortunate and have to buy larger quantity's.

Always shake your fuel, the oil tends to settle and needs a shake.

Old fuel will have moisture in it and be discolored. I really would not use it, but to each his own. GL
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Nitro fuel does absorb humidity when it can. You should test some fuel out as see if it is any good. If not just get fresh fuel. If you have an expensive motor I would only run it on fresh fuel.
xristoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDAY View Post
I have a litre of 25% Torando from 2009 and I can still use it for tuning my 733 last week which I put aside for 3 and a half year.....the color change to a little darker but it still can work at least. maybe I am not asking too much from it, only to washing the engine and test run. It idles well and reasonably hot 115C when test run with a little rich.
That reinforces the benefit of Tornado using more expensive cans in their packaging - fuel just stays fresher longer.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Unopened and in your house, probably still good.

1/4 of a gallon sitting in your car or garage floor for a year, throw it away.

You can usually tell pretty easily when it goes bad. You will usually experience tuning issues where it seems to be running rich and hot at the same time. If this happens, try some fresh fuel and re-tune. Problems will probably go away.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote