R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
mxs
Tech Adept

Default 235mm kits and basic info

Hi guys,

I am running 1/10 and it's been a third year. I love it, but it's fair to say that I'd like to try something new. I don't want to go 1/8 which is just too expensive for me. So I was thinking 235mm. I tried to google stuff and do search here, but all threads kind of assume that you already know something.

Can somebody hook me up with a website dedicated to this class, if such doesn't exist, can somebody pls give me basic info as follows.

1) is this class 2WD or 4WD, or perhaps mix?
2) kits available on the market and ballpark prices
3) how is operating cost compared to 1/10, mainly tires. Gas is no brainer I guess

Thanks a lot
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxs
Hi guys,

I am running 1/10 and it's been a third year. I love it, but it's fair to say that I'd like to try something new. I don't want to go 1/8 which is just too expensive for me. So I was thinking 235mm. I tried to google stuff and do search here, but all threads kind of assume that you already know something.

Can somebody hook me up with a website dedicated to this class, if such doesn't exist, can somebody pls give me basic info as follows.

1) is this class 2WD or 4WD, or perhaps mix?
2) kits available on the market and ballpark prices
3) how is operating cost compared to 1/10, mainly tires. Gas is no brainer I guess

Thanks a lot
(1) Both, however, ROAR dropped the 2WD for good, and 4WD as well, but still, there are some organization or local club race still do 4WD 235mm mixed with 1/10th 200mm outlaw (lola body with 5 port 12 or 15 engine)...talk about a lot of MIX (anything is 1/10th scale can be run in this class) ie. MID WEST Series.
(2) only 235mm Serpent 835 is still active, the rest, not sure.....
(3) To be honest, 235mm tires are getting harder and harder to get, and they are NOT any cheaper then 1/8th tires. (Ebay selling a full set of 1/8th tires for $30 shipped - $9.99 plus $14.99 plus $5 shipping)...

Your concern should be the engine, 235mm required big block 15 engine, beside RB, I don't know who else is still making big block 15.....OR, buy the new serpent SB engine mount then you can use those new 12 5 ports or even 15 SB outlaw onto the 235mm............however, like my IMPACT is no longer be able to run against the smaller, lighter and faster 200mm touring with the outlaw setting (Lola body, 35mm rear foams, 15 SB 5 port turbo engine, outlaw pipe...etc).

I don't think 1/8th is that much more expensive then 200mm.........1/8th car are a lot STRONGER then 200mm........yes, their parts are more $$, but I don't think you will break your 1/8th as frequent then 200mm......only $$$ on 1/8th are tires, but still, they are a lot cheaper then before....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There's the XR80, wich is quickly proving to be a great car. And for under $400 for an RTR, you can't beat the price.

http://www.happytimehobby.com/cars/xr80/index.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47469
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 235

Let me correct some incorrect posts
1 ROAR has not dropped 235 4wd and has opened the class to include unlimited 200mm with open body rules
2 You do not need a big block 15 to compete and there are some very competitive smallblocks available
3 There are still new 15 big blocks available.
4 You can buy new mugen avance and serpent 835 Serpent also makes smallblock mts for their car
5 Tires are still easily available and much cheaper than 1/8 even if you don't take into account the much better tire wear on a 235.
6 They are much cheaper to run and almost as fast as a 1/8. Drivetrain requires much less maintenance than a 1/8 as the loading is much less.
7They are very similar to drive as a 1/8 only better balanced and not as throttle sensitive {read that as easier}
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
mxs
Tech Adept

Smile

Thanks guys for your input.

Just to clarify a couple of things. I don't care about racing. I usually go to a track for 3 - 4 hours and run open practise with my buddies. I mean to say that don't care what ROAR approves or disapproves. None of my LHS normally stock any parts for any brand ion this class. So I will always have to order. Can somebody list some good mail order sources. I realize it will depend on the kit I purchase. So let's get to that.

From the posts I've read, most people favor;

1) Mugen Avance
I can't find any info details on this kit. I tried mugenseiki.com (that site is a joke), mugenracing.com doesn't list this kit at all. Ultimate hobbies has it listed for USD 299.00. Is that a good price?

2) Serpent 835
What's the best price one can get anywhere?

I assume both cars are 4WD configuration, correct? Also what's the tire size. I've heard people mentioning Picco Integra wheels? Which internet place has a good price on tires so I can see it myself.

What are the 2WD kits if they still exist. But I am assuming they would be much harder to control, or maybe I am wrong.

I know lots of questions, but I don't know of a bteer place to get my answers....

Thanks to all.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
mxs
Tech Adept

I was just flipping through serpent web site and found out that 835 can be bought in both configurations 2WD and 4WD. If that's the case what would you choose? Don't forget I don't care about racing.

I would think that, based on my 1/10 4WD experience, 4WD should be easier to drive, but not necessarily faster. 2WD is probably bigger challenge to set up, but lighter, perhaps less tire wear on the front and should definitely be a less maintance on the drive train.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Default 235

I own a few mugen Avance's but since you need to order them strictly via the web, I would go with Ashford hobbies and talk to Robert Pogue about sepent 835's.They also sell RB motors. you can gey an x-15 turrbo. He is a great guy who knows how to treat somebody new and can get you what you need inexpensivlely.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
mxs
Tech Adept

Thanks sedanaddict (I like your alias). Do you know any webpage I could see details of the kit, like what parts it comes with etc.? Does Ashford hobbies have a website?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcar
Let me correct some incorrect posts
1 ROAR has not dropped 235 4wd and has opened the class to include unlimited 200mm with open body rules
2 You do not need a big block 15 to compete and there are some very competitive smallblocks available
3 There are still new 15 big blocks available.
4 You can buy new mugen avance and serpent 835 Serpent also makes smallblock mts for their car
5 Tires are still easily available and much cheaper than 1/8 even if you don't take into account the much better tire wear on a 235.
6 They are much cheaper to run and almost as fast as a 1/8. Drivetrain requires much less maintenance than a 1/8 as the loading is much less.
7They are very similar to drive as a 1/8 only better balanced and not as throttle sensitive {read that as easier}
I think beside the #1 is wrong, my opinion are very close to accurate, again, just my opinion, I was not telling him not to run 235mm at all, just I feel like I would rather spend my money to get a 200mm outlaw, or a 1/8th.

Here is Robert's website of his company ASHFORD HOBBY.

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
mxs
Tech Adept

No problem RookieSolara. It's normal people have different opinions. It happens all the time.

I must admit I tend to agree that 235mm kit should not be harder on drivetrain and tires. Especially if we are talking about 2WD Serpent 835.

I am not sure how many people have experience running 2WD opposed to 4WD as that's what I am most interested into. I do realize that 4WD will always be easier to drive but that's not the ultimate I am looking for. On the other hand I believe it has a tons of advantages. The only unknown is how will 2WD perfom on medium to low traction parking lot tracks. any car is always harder to drive on these conditions, but most cars can be set up to deal with. So my question is can 235mm 2WD be as well?

Also is Serpent 835 2WD convertable to 4WD and vice versa? I can see that the kits are priced only 40 USD apart so if answer is yes, it probaly makes sense to get 4WD and then do what you wish.

Thanks again
Old 05-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #11
Tech Adept

If you plan to run on a low to medium traction track I would not recommend you the 2wd setup. The rear will lose traction as soon you will bleep the throttle even with 25 shore rear tires.

We used to run 2wd at our club but the track is well prepped.
Rookie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #12
mxs
Tech Adept

That's what I am worried about as far as 2WD goes. So you used to run 835 2WD?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Yup! We have a class for 235mm 2wd with .15 big block. Those car are really cool to drive on a well prepped track.

We ran at RC Montreal
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
mxs
Tech Adept

Do you know whether you can make 2WD out of serpent 835 4WD kit?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Yes but you will need the one way, side belt, front belt, dogbones, pulley and shaft... I dont know how much it could cost but yes you can. The only thing pricey is the one way, I dont think it should cost that much for the misc parts.