R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie01
Yes but you will need the one way, side belt, front belt, dogbones, pulley and shaft... I dont know how much it could cost but yes you can. The only thing pricey is the one way, I dont think it should cost that much for the misc parts.
I think he was asking the other way around, to convert a 4WD to a 2WD....to make it a 2WD, you just have to disable all the 4WD parts (1 way, front dogbone, side belt...etc) however, if you want to run 2WD, you MUST have the rear adjustable ball diff, which is NOT included in the 4WD 835 version but only on the 2WD kit. And that rear ball diff, I think it is around $80 brnad new, not a cheap hardware.....but you can get a used one from ebay for like $30 or so....

All and all, like Rookie01 mentioned, 2WD is NOT as easy as you think, I have never ran a 2WD version but from those who did, you MUST run it under a well prepped track......since you are not the one that planning to race the 835, I do not think 2WD is what you want, unless you like to do a lot of donuts on a parking lot...

Get the 4WD 835 and you can probably be able to run it anywhere without too much traction problem...........beside, I don't see why 2WD is actually faster then 4WD.....if you talk about a drag, it might, but on the track, I think the 4WD will have a overall better control and speed over 2WD.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:28 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie01
Yup! We have a class for 235mm 2wd with .15 big block. Those car are really cool to drive on a well prepped track.

We ran at RC Montreal
My friend ALLEN did ran at that track (you might know him already)....and probably one of the few clubs that still do 2WD 235mm in this world beside those over Europe.....
Old 05-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #18
Tech Adept

I have driven both serpent 835 4WD and 2WD versions. You can convert from 4WD to 2WD or vice versa. I'd recommend converting from 4WD to 2WD since there are fewer items to buy additionally. The 4WD version handles like a car on rail. It can go against easily any 1/8 in open medium track. (I race it against some 1/8th last year in medium sized tracks).

To convert from 4WD to 2WD, all u need is the rear diff. You take out the front one way, front and side belt, side pulleys. Perhaps, you need harder front springs too.

One bad design about the serpent 835 is the placement of the receiver. It is hard to reach for the receiver, and the side belt of th 4WD version may touch the receiver. Also, fuel can easily get to the receiver.

From my experience, 2WD version is harder to control than 4WD. Driving method of the two version are different. I think it is easier to obtains parts for the 835.
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:06 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 235

If you reverse your receiver and receiver mount ,plugs face center of car in front of fuel tank, you will have much more room and better protection.
For play four wheel drive is much easier to drive than 2wd,no noticeable speed diff as a 4wd becomes 2wd when the rear tires overrun the front one way.Really the front wheels only drive when the rear are slipping that is why you can run a solid axle in a 4wd car to get more steering.
Mugen japan still lists on their website both a parts breakdown and promo for the avance.Have seen that kit sell with an econ 15 3 port for around 200usd. You will pay considerably more for a serpent plus buy the engine. That said it is an excellent car.
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Note that if u reverse the orientation of the receiver, u still cannot change the frequency crystal easily.
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:10 AM   #21
Tech Champion

What I did was I mounted the receiver right in between the throttle and the right bulkhead, mounted upside down onto the upper radio deck.
I used a 3PK receiver, not the smallest but small enough to fit onto that deck upside down....it was well tucked in so it is not sticking out completely, the crystal facing downward, so does all the plugs for fast access, and it is far away enought from the tank just in case of the over splash of fuel...

Not really the best option about balancing the equipment, but it is much better then the original receiver location.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #22
mxs
Tech Adept

Great posts guys. It really answered pretty much all I expected. I

know Serpent is a quality kit, but I'd still love to take a look at Mugen Avance. Does anybody know a website where one can see the detailed pictures, parts list etc. Posibbly download a manual would be the best.

Trashcar, where did you see this kit priced so low incl. engine?? I would most certainly like to get a look at that. The best I've seen for 300 USD no engine and pipe (I am guessing here, since no details were listed..) I just tried again Mugen japan site and it finally (last time I tried it would time out every time..) came up. I briefly looked at the parts list and I didn't see a centex clutch. Can somebody confirm that pls? It says racing clutch, but I think they mean 3 shoe hard springs ......
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #23
Tech Master

Where can you get the 35mm wide rear tyres for the 200mm outlaw class?

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Default 235

mxs,
I have 5 mugen Avances. 1 is the main one i race with. 1 i am planning to set up as a second car. 1 new kit still in the box and 2 cars that are used and i use them for parts. I also have enough plastic parts to build a 6th car if i had the chassis and steel parts etc. I will sell the kit or one of the used assembled cars cheap if you are interested. i also have the manual for the car.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #25
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345

Cheers

these are 35mm
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Mugen Avance Rx mount

I bought a DSM spektrum setup, plugged everything in, 2 servos, switch, and PT, then dipped the whole receiver, plugs too, in that red rubberizing liquid used to coat tool handles... dipped it twice, letting it set 24hrs between dips and before mounting. I mounted the Rx so that the plugs are facing inward, very clean looking and best of all, it's sealed.

I've ran the car like this in one club race and a MWS race weekend with no problems at all... it's been one less thing to worry about when you're on the stand...

zoom zoom
Old 05-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #27
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Hey Ziggy here is the link to that website!!

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...od&prodID=2118

and they are $21.99 per set
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default kit

Addict! You racing on Sunday? Green top is gone... I need some parts... don't sell anything until I see you...

J
Old 05-24-2005, 01:46 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345

Cheers
There are 2 brand, the one from Ashford hobby is called Techno Grip TC Foam tires, you can find it here....

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/prod415.htm

Or the one from CRC racing, it is called TRACK MAGNET....both are 35mm wide....and both are the same rim design, but I cannot tell the compound are the same or not....I tried them both, they are great on wear, no chunck, however, you have to insert quite a lot of spacer in order to mount them onto your 200mm without rubbing....work best with GTP rear bridge and LOLA bodies.......

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...category_id=66
Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Hey Ziggy here is the link to that website!!

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...od&prodID=2118

and they are $21.99 per set
Ashford is $15....however, is 35mm allowed in outlaw..? Does outlaw really has no rules at all..?