R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   1/10 Nitro Touring Rubber Tire Racing. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/730117-1-10-nitro-touring-rubber-tire-racing.html)

T.MARSHALL 05-14-2013 02:31 PM

1/10 Nitro Touring Rubber Tire Racing.

Let's talk technical. Do Rubber Tires outperform Foams Tires?

Roelof 05-14-2013 03:57 PM

No, the limit of grip with rubber is unpredictable and a hard punish if you go over the limit. With foam the car begins to slide an can be picked up with some control.

Clear proof is with the 1/10 modified electric touring, these cars have an insane topspeed and are in no time on full speed making it much faster than 1/10 GP cars but the carefull handeling in the corners with rubbers makes the laptimes much slower.

T.MARSHALL 05-14-2013 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 12152176)
No, the limit of grip with rubber is unpredictable and a hard punish if you go over the limit. With foam the car begins to slide an can be picked up with some control.

Clear proof is with the 1/10 modified electric touring, these cars have an insane topspeed and are in no time on full speed making it much faster than 1/10 GP cars but the carefull handeling in the corners with rubbers makes the laptimes much slower.

So would one be correct in assuming 1/10 modified electric cars need better tires. I have also so been told the cars weight plays a significant role in the way these cars perform on the track.

If a modified electric touring car weighed twice as much and had some sort of variable clutch what would be effect the effect on lap times. My friends who has the has the credentials to back it up says the 1/10 modified touring car would take the GP car down every time .

wingracer 05-14-2013 06:57 PM

Electric cars speed comes from being so much lighter. They have a very high power to weight ratio. Put good foams and a set-up to match on one and they would be even faster.

Rubber tires suck on high powered nitro cars as you just can control the break-away point. They can work quite well on lower powered, RTR style cars/engines.

JLock 05-15-2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 12152872)
....Rubber tires suck on high powered nitro cars as you just can control the break-away point. They can work quite well on lower powered, RTR style cars/engines.

T Marshall,

This from wingracer pretty much sums it up. On prepped asphalt tracks, foams will always outperform rubber tires on 10th scale cars. And, with the almost .21-type power being produced by today's .12 engines, good luck finding a rubber tire that will stay together/glued to the rim and endure the rigors of running under that kind of power.

T.MARSHALL 05-15-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JLock (Post 12155005)
T Marshall,

This from wingracer pretty much sums it up. On prepped asphalt tracks, foams will always outperform rubber tires on 10th scale cars. And, with the almost .21-type power being produced by today's .12 engines, good luck finding a rubber tire that will stay together/glued to the rim and endure the rigors of running under that kind of power.

Can anyone tell me at what point will rubber tires out perform foam tire?

Perez 05-15-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL (Post 12155198)

Maybe if its raining

wingracer 05-15-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Perez (Post 12155336)
Maybe if its raining

Rubber rain tires in the wet and sometimes really dusty, sandy, unprepared parking lots, at least until a groove gets laid down.

JLock 05-15-2013 12:22 PM

Rubber tires will outperform foam tires on concrete parking lot club tracks. Foams cannot give you the grip and if it is rough concrete, it will eat up foam tires very quickly. A group of us tested this out back in the early 2000s at our local club parking lot track. Even with spraying grape soda to try to get more traction, it ate up a set of foams on a 200mm TC and 12th scale in 5 minutes (down to the rim) {parking lot was brushed concrete).

JamesHealey 05-16-2013 11:15 AM

Foam has a much bigger slip angle and allows the car to slide more which is more forgiving so you can push the car much harder. Rubber tend to lose grip instantly when you over do it and thus are harder to drive on the limit.

They're also not going to handle the power of modern nitro engines as well as foam. I've torn rubber tyres off the rim using my 200mm.

During a slippy damp track where driving conservatively is required rubber tires handle very well and the, we've had drivera TQ nats in the UK on rubbers in the wet.

Damp/Aqua foams have always worked better for me though

T.MARSHALL 05-16-2013 12:49 PM

I have heard through the grapevine there's new rubber tires coming to the market. I was also told these tires will change things drastically and make foams a thing of the past. They look similar to these but have a larger sidewall. These tires are being tested in the Philippines under extreme weather condition. The word is foams may will be laid to rest soon. :D Sorta of the same way Brushed Motors and Nickel Metal Hydride have been retired. I was told to imagine being able to use the same tires for 10 months to a year, then when you lose a 10th a second per lap rotate the tires then race them for close to another year.

http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...es/spa-711.jpg

T.MARSHALL 05-16-2013 01:04 PM

Just think we use to travel using horses and buggies.

Now they're are talking about sending a crew of people to Mars and they will live the rest of their lives on Mars.

But wait... This will be a real reality show!

T.MARSHALL 05-16-2013 01:09 PM

Back to the tires. The future is upon us. :deathstar

wingracer 05-17-2013 09:18 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. Even real car rubber racing tires are only fast on their first full heat cycle. After that, they may have plenty of rubber left on them but they will be slower. And there has never been any rubber tire in all of history that makes lots of grip on asphalt at high slip angles like foams do.

British Menace 05-17-2013 10:48 AM

I have always believed rubbers have the potential to be better/ faster then foams .....
Although, to get good, well manufactured rubber tires may cost more ....

Odd how you can't get good 30mm wide rubbers to do back-to-back tests now-days .......... or can you?
Been out of this racing business so long you may be able to get them now?!

Just on a side note. Totally different I know but when was the last time an F1 car ran on foam tires? Or, how come the new Pirelli tires are not foam?

Stirning the pot I know .... sorry.

British Menace