R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cost to build a kit?

So getting ready to pull the trigger on a new kit. Not only am I not that handy but time is tough to and I have a r/c that does a lot of work for me on my other cars. He has offered to build the kit and I know he will do a top notch job but I wanted to see what the going Price for a kit build might be?

What do u feel is a fair price fOr my builder and myself ? Any thoughts? Thanks. I know I know I should try myself but I really like the work my buddy does, thoughts?

Last edited by dropabomb; 04-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.
dropabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropabomb View Post
So getting ready to pull the trigger on a new kit. Not only am I not that handy but time is tough to and I have a r/c that does a lot of work for me on my other cars. He has offered to build the kit and I know he will do a top notch job but I wanted to see what the going Price for a kit build might be?

What do u feel is a fair price fOr my builder and myself ? Any thoughts? Thanks. I know I know I should try myself but I really like the work my buddy does, thoughts?
You might want to run a survey here to see how many hours the Serpent Cobra GT guys are spending on their assembly project and have them give a 'skill level' barometer to get a feel for what you are getting into.......

At this point in time I would suggest the Kyosho GT RTR unless you are 'made of money'........I know of no one that gets one of the Cobras on the track for less than $1,000 and that's knowing the guys did the build themselves. Not being critical, it's 'a fact of life'. That car is the Ferrari in this class. Even Ferrari won't let you buy their car if they get a hint you might hurt yourself with it. Also, you won't find many other GT racers that haven't put close to that into their cars. This is only meant to be helpful for the 'un-initiated'.

Or try the OFNA GT V2........I think that's a RTR and it will out-perform the Kyosho in the turns. (It's really the hotdog TeamC in a different wrapper)

If you want to feel bad, I'll bring my Kyosho GT with the old trans that has the 40/46 gears and 'outrun' you in the parking lot........I know you were talking wanting to 'go fast' in an earlier thread.......many GTers can 'go fast' but it can be for less. Not knowing what you might step in can ruin your day. I'd rather see you sneak up on the best solution to make you a happy GTer and get you on the track with us. I see guys all the time that 'come into the realization' that the hobby can be expensive..........but it need not be 'painful'.

If you are feeling the need to have 'the best' because 'you want to beat the rest', the Cobra GT should be your goal. If your buddy is willing to do the build for 'a buck an hour'..........you could be OK.
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Hi it really depends on what car you're building.

It depends if you already have appropriate tools too. Do you want a 10th, 8th or even 5th scale? Will it be electric, nitro or gasoline? These things you need to know first before you look at prices...
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

$100 is the cost my buddy is down with. thanks for all the thought to jerry appreciate it. of course not made of money lol but that is about the cost i was expecting. currently have a 8.0 T clocked, 8.o T e/ w castle steup, 5ive with oneill bros and a couple of the atomik mm450(coolest thing out IMO) but the cobra GT might fit right in. gotta work out the details but again thx for the thoughts
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
$100 is the cost my buddy is down with. thanks for all the thought to jerry appreciate it. of course not made of money lol but that is about the cost i was expecting. currently have a 8.0 T clocked, 8.o T e/ w castle steup, 5ive with oneill bros and a couple of the atomik mm450(coolest thing out IMO) but the cobra GT might fit right in. gotta work out the details but again thx for the thoughts
$100 build will be a bargain for both of you.....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hmm

....half the fun of racing is building your own car.....
Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
....half the fun of racing is building your own car.....
totally agree with this.its also best to build your own kit so that when it breaks, you will know how to fix it because you will know how the parts work and fit together. if someone builds it for you, when it breaks, you will end up going to him to have it fixed. and you cannot rely on him forever. and its fun building it.you will see what i mean after you completely assemble it.just follow the manual strictly and if shit happens after following the manual, rant about it here. the manual writers will deserve the rant if they wrote it the wrong way.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The main reason YOU should build it is so you understand how it goes together and comes apart, to understand the car. Unless your 'builder' is your dad, you are going to need to know how to do repairs by yourself. Not building the car inhibits this process.
jackcarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

$100 is cheap. Its been a while since I built a kit but I work on my other 7 cars all the time & the Serpent GT probably took me around 10hrs to build, a couple hrs to soder and get the electrics in (electric ver), & another hour or two for final setup (not rushing).
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hmm

Just as a point of interest, some of us running pan class are building our own cars...almost literally. The pan I built uses some Kyosho and Edam parts, but I made the chassis, bulkheads, servo tray, camber adjusters, and so forth. Not just assembling a kit....and I guarantee you, I've yet to meet the person who wasn't able to assemble his own kit, or didn't take some pride in their work. And what others are saying is also true, you'll know better how to fix it when it breaks, and know when something isn't quite right. It's your hobby and your money, but I encourage everyone to assemble their own kit!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
$100 is cheap. Its been a while since I built a kit but I work on my other 7 cars all the time & the Serpent GT probably took me around 10hrs to build, a couple hrs to soder and get the electrics in (electric ver), & another hour or two for final setup (not rushing).
VERY true, i start at 150.00 and up if the kit is purchased from me.
http://www.rcshox.com/rcshox-pro-build/

its about a 6-7 hour deal for just the kit. If its a complete build i provide a nice little vid of the tuning process and track time as well as pix and such!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jULsqCQlJBI
One thing about Nitro is that you have to very thorough on your build, we ALL can agree on that!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Tech Master

Providing the engine, radio gear and servos. Giving a 10hr timeline. Time is money. A dealership starts at $75 an hour, just to put it onthe rack. LHS at $35 an hr. Dude! YOU SAID you dont have the time, and not handy. Get an RTR. If you really want a kit! Take the time a build it. If you into aircraft it'll take you a year to assemble. I'll assemble it for you at $25 an hour with 10hr timeline, $250. Break-in time engine another $50+ fuel, $325 assembled. Like I said time is money.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the offer. But a bit rich for me. Chill all u haters, sorry i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Please don't misunderstand me if I had to I would build the kit but thinking back over the years even before my r/c days even when I was a kid and built those scale models, well they never were as nice as my brothers and always had glue seeping out of every part. Fast forward 30+ years 5 kids under the age of 10, a full time gig a wife that works nights and bla blah like the rest of you and that leaves little time for the hobby itself let alone 10+hours building a kit. Well like most of you, I do enjoy a nice r/c and for a gt8 type vehicle they only rtr I find is an ofna. So..... I guess in the end if I want a nice ride and I don't have the time to build it, I'll be thankful for good friends and expect to pay for good work. Again wasn't trying to slack, well kinda sorta. Just have to pick my battles
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. But a bit rich for me. Chill all u haters, sorry i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Please don't misunderstand me if I had to I would build the kit but thinking back over the years even before my r/c days even when I was a kid and built those scale models, well they never were as nice as my brothers and always had glue seeping out of every part. Fast forward 30+ years 5 kids under the age of 10, a full time gig a wife that works nights and bla blah like the rest of you and that leaves little time for the hobby itself let alone 10+hours building a kit. Well like most of you, I do enjoy a nice r/c and for a gt8 type vehicle they only rtr I find is an ofna. So..... I guess in the end if I want a nice ride and I don't have the time to build it, I'll be thankful for good friends and expect to pay for good work. Again wasn't trying to slack, well kinda sorta. Just have to pick my battles
Its all good man, you asked a question and got some answers!! One thing about labor is that you honestly get what you pay for. searching for the cheapest route isnt always the best in this situation. If for some reason the car is not put together right your gonna end up having to redo it anyway!
Geezatec is spot on for pricing, may seem high but anyone that charges those rates is going to give you a superior build ( I am very anal about my builds). There are many tricks to setting up a proper nitro kit that will not give you issues down the road. Think about what all needs to be done:
build kit
setup the chassis with base settings
install engine
install servo's
setup linkage properly
break in engine (very time consuming and a real PITA)
base tune the engine
phone/email support until you get it all figured out.
These are all of the things that YOU are going to have to do before you get it on the track!!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
I'm not a 'hater' and I enjoy the 'practicality' in your decision process. I think that the OFNA RTR would be a good choice. (I'm a grandpa, having 4 sons and ......+grandsons) The TeamC based OFNA car is going to be a real contender if they do the 'follow-through' on support and may end up 'eating many snakes'.

Marcus is doing great things in the early phases of the challenge to the 'acknowledged higher competition level machine'.............

If you are still doing the Serpent build, it's not a bad move...........

RELAX and enjoy......