R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

$100 to put together a kit?
Hope he knows what he's getting into!!
Does he warranty his work? And for how long?
If he's a person you only see once in a while, you guys are going to be pretty close this summer.
$1000 minimum then choose a radio, and if I'm not mistaking those GT bodies are $80-$100.. If I were you I'd read the directions and build it yourself.. It will help you understand the geometry and what each setting does when it comes time..
Good luck buddy everyone has a first and everyone makes mistakes no matter how many kits they built..
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Its all good man, you asked a question and got some answers!! One thing about labor is that you honestly get what you pay for. searching for the cheapest route isnt always the best in this situation. If for some reason the car is not put together right your gonna end up having to redo it anyway!
Geezatec is spot on for pricing, may seem high but anyone that charges those rates is going to give you a superior build ( I am very anal about my builds). There are many tricks to setting up a proper nitro kit that will not give you issues down the road. Think about what all needs to be done:
build kit
setup the chassis with base settings
install engine
install servo's
setup linkage properly
break in engine (very time consuming and a real PITA)
base tune the engine
phone/email support until you get it all figured out.
These are all of the things that YOU are going to have to do before you get it on the track!!
Forgot 2 of the hardest parts, 2-speed and clutch ( spring setting and gap) I know people in the hobby that have won their share of races on club and national level that still have trouble with that.. Not saying I know how to get it right but I can get it to engage at least and switch to second, most of the time someone will do it for me because they see me having trouble.. But I love it
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
Forgot 2 of the hardest parts, 2-speed and clutch ( spring setting and gap) I know people in the hobby that have won their share of races on club and national level that still have trouble with that.. Not saying I know how to get it right but I can get it to engage at least and switch to second, most of the time someone will do it for me because they see me having trouble.. But I love it
GT cars use simple offroad style clutchs so thats no big deal, and the 2 speed is also pretty simple, just start from a base and adjust as needed. I assume he was talking about a GT car, if not then you are right the Centax is a pain to get right!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Tech Master

Still not sure what kit he purchased. Anyway if a Serpent, it doesnt use the Centax clutch, normal 4 shoe clutch.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Obviously Rc racing is not for the OP !!!! Get a PS3 and call it a day !!!! Cost of a kit from a person that has absolutely nothing $4000 + changing the way you live from couch warmer to a hands on individual..... Just saying...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote