R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default need recommendations, on road

So, ive been rolling the idea of getting an on road street type car. Ive got a couple 8.0 and other vehicles but i find i love ripping them up and down my local street and through my local parking lots. So, i thought maybe i would give one a try. Im not a racer, again just like speed and would love something that has the looks of the GT's out there that will stick to the ground and hall ass.

Ive looked at the Kyosho Inferno which looks cool, but kyosho? not sure about them, i know they have been around a while but ive never owned one.

The OFna dm1 and the OFNA GT-V2, again look cool, but i guess i was looking for a TA, or Losi, or a brand im more comfortable with. Am i wrong?

Serpent GT? but man, the kit is $600 plus you still have to buy a body and tires, as well as the usual kit requirements. Anyway, just looking for some guidance on something good and fun and reliable and fast!

Thoughts>
dropabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1evo RRR Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropabomb View Post
So, ive been rolling the idea of getting an on road street type car. Ive got a couple 8.0 and other vehicles but i find i love ripping them up and down my local street and through my local parking lots. So, i thought maybe i would give one a try. Im not a racer, again just like speed and would love something that has the looks of the GT's out there that will stick to the ground and hall ass.

Ive looked at the Kyosho Inferno which looks cool, but kyosho? not sure about them, i know they have been around a while but ive never owned one.

The OFna dm1 and the OFNA GT-V2, again look cool, but i guess i was looking for a TA, or Losi, or a brand im more comfortable with. Am i wrong?

Serpent GT? but man, the kit is $600 plus you still have to buy a body and tires, as well as the usual kit requirements. Anyway, just looking for some guidance on something good and fun and reliable and fast!

Thoughts>
Just something to think about: if your like most of us that like these toy cars then u prob like going fast, n your prob going to add performance parts to achieve that goal, that serpent kit may b $600 but if it comes with all the bells n whistles you won't have to add then its prob a better buy than most, I've don't it more than once, buy a lesser kit then the 1st upgrade u buy is some $200 part that was on the better kit to begin with!! When u add it up its always better to get the best the 1st time.....save more in the long run that way, Get a ofna for $300 then add $300 to get it to perform like the serpent, (should of just got the serpent) u end up with a good running car but its still a ofna!! with prob no resale value.....not knocking ofna, it's prob a great kit! I don't run igt so I honestly don't kno which is best....but in rc 99% of the time you get what u pay for, Just something to think about
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Smile

Hey 'dropabomb'..........

RRREVO makes some good points. I'm a Kyosho driver and love the things right up to the point that when you decide to 'take it on the track' for some serious racing, the 'entry level' Kyosho lacks the kind of 'competition steering' that all the others have developed. If you plan to stay in the parking lot I would stay with Kyosho.

In the list given to you, I would say that the best potential 'resale value' behind the Cobra is probably the OFNA GT V2.........it's a TeamC long chassis 'rebadged'. I just wish it was a 'short chassis' for my own preference but the superior steering makes them 'killer' on the track. Parts availability for any brand you get can be critical.

Get a GT and 'RACE IT'........
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for all the sound advice, in the end its gonna have to be a Serpent GT. Gotta start saving now... what type of engine you guys running?
dropabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for all the sound advice, in the end its gonna have to be a Serpent GT. Gotta start saving now... what type of engine you guys running?
I don't have a igt at the moment, the kanai buggy I did convert I put a C5 rody on it (fast) but I eyed a few at the Airtronics race a month ago, seems as if you don't have to go big to go fast, most were using the Nova p5. And some cheaper purple head novas, Didn't see crazy murnans or $700 onroad motors!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Good move to get the Cobra if you can.

If you have a $ cap for a race, it's one thing.........

I've seen the 5 port novas under $200 offer easy operation with incredible reliability. Guys around me are also trying 4-7 ports. If you are just getting 'the hang of things'.....go budget and try the 3 port Nova for about $170 it's a great engine. (I'm talking 'off-road' engines)

Just get out there and race it........with the Serpent Cobra GT you can kick some butt.

Hope to see you on a track..........

[I forgot to brag a little: I was 'First Bump' from B Main to A at the Airtronics Race in L.A. but broke in the A Main------Great Race w/Great Guys]
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_jerry View Post
Good move to get the Cobra if you can.

If you have a $ cap for a race, it's one thing.........

I've seen the 5 port novas under $200 offer easy operation with incredible reliability. Guys around me are also trying 4-7 ports. If you are just getting 'the hang of things'.....go budget and try the 3 port Nova for about $170 it's a great engine. (I'm talking 'off-road' engines)

Just get out there and race it........with the Serpent Cobra GT you can kick some butt.

Hope to see you on a track..........

[I forgot to brag a little: I was 'First Bump' from B Main to A at the Airtronics Race in L.A. but broke in the A Main------Great Race w/Great Guys]
Good run Jerry yeah def a cool/chill group.....in expert sedan I won the C and was running 5th in the B when I blew a rear diff, but ill b back at the ko to show what I really can do
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver View Post
Good run Jerry yeah def a cool/chill group.....in expert sedan I won the C and was running 5th in the B when I blew a rear diff, but ill b back at the ko to show what I really can do
Thanks...........now if we can just get 'bomb' on the track....

Better Luck on your next race!!!!!!!!!!