R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

InitialD i'll tell you the shortcomings later, i'm so tired i can only type so much
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:13 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
wow - what an original thread! lol. We've been around this block many a time and we have agreed that it boils down to driver and driving style, not really car choice. All the top pro cars are as capable of winning as any other on most tracks.

AMG I am going to disagree with you though. Hooked_on is right, you take the same motor and put it in a NTC3 the NTC3 is going to be faster than any belt car out there. I have seen little os cvx powered ntc3's eye-popping fast. "Faster" as in speed, not faster as in lap times turned or races won. Serpent whooped butt at nationals because you had an experienced gas racer pulling rank on a bunch of electric racers who probably have diddly experience racing longer than 8 minute mains. The NTC3 still cut the fastest laps (it was driven by arguably the fastest driver in the world though).

Speed is not everything in a on-road car - if it were, top-fuel dragsters could kick an F1's arse at monaco. The NTC3 is a cut above all the other cars in speed due to it's efficient drive-train, it's not on par with many cars in terms of durability or quality, and it's definitely on par in terms of handling. Once the quality issues are worked out and the durability is improved and the AE racers learn what the hell they're doing in gas, the NTC3 will be a formidable force at major races with real gas mains. If I wanted to have a TQ only car the ntc3 would be the ticket. If I had to race 30 minutes, I would pick the kyosho every time.

Also I have never owned an impulse but I have been whacked by impulse drivers who tore up their car while my voner kept on keeping on....still have yet to break a part on any voner I've owned.
sorry i quoted the whole thing but i only needed the first paragraph You said that it all boils down to the driver, what if the driver next to you is an idiot, and hits your car and your rc car spins out and hits the wall, then it all boils down to the car!
and if you have a car that can take a hit your car will continue the race and if you are a good driver you'll get like 6th place or if you are lucky you will go back to first place but if your car is a ntc3 and it hits the wall the race will be over for that car for a long time, so what does it all boil down when you hit the wall? the quality of the material of the car! Quality parts and cars matter in the race too!
Old 08-15-2002, 02:13 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
AMG I am going to disagree with you though. Hooked_on is right, you take the same motor and put it in a NTC3 the NTC3 is going to be faster than any belt car out there. I have seen little os cvx powered ntc3's eye-popping fast. "Faster" as in speed, not faster as in lap times turned or races won. Serpent whooped butt at nationals because you had an experienced gas racer pulling rank on a bunch of electric racers who probably have diddly experience racing longer than 8 minute mains. The NTC3 still cut the fastest laps (it was driven by arguably the fastest driver in the world though).

Speed is not everything in a on-road car - if it were, top-fuel dragsters could kick an F1's arse at monaco. The NTC3 is a cut above all the other cars in speed due to it's efficient drive-train, it's not on par with many cars in terms of durability or quality, and it's definitely on par in terms of handling. Once the quality issues are worked out and the durability is improved and the AE racers learn what the hell they're doing in gas, the NTC3 will be a formidable force at major races with real gas mains. If I wanted to have a TQ only car the ntc3 would be the ticket. If I had to race 30 minutes, I would pick the kyosho every time.
Yep you in fact agreed with me. I said "fast" in quotes meaning laptimes. Top speed is good for impressing kids in the street. Acceleration is only useful as long as you can stop wheelspin. I will say one of the NTC3 advantages is that it has a higher top speed and slightly faster acceleration given the same motor than any other car. But you have to be able to use that on the track to your advantage, and you need a very large and sweeping track (like the Nats track) to take advatage. NTC3 was the car for that track for sure.

I stick to my original comments, it is not "faster" in a racing sense then any other car from my track experiences with the car. There are many aspects to a fast car, and a free drivetrain is only one of those. In fact the NTC3 has a higher rotating mass then the V1R.

Note I never said it was a bad car, I think it has great potential, and if you buy one you cannot go wrong. But I know Hooked_on personally and he has not even done a timed run with his NTC3 yet, just commenting from "feel". All the other NTC3 I have seen on the track (quite a few) lap at the same speed as other cars. Thats all I am saying.

Last edited by AMGRacer; 08-15-2002 at 02:32 AM.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:49 AM   #34
Tech Elite

One more point The thing to remember is that most people love the car they currently have Thats why opinions are often quite polarised.

For what it is worth I like my V1RR GT because:

1. I feel it is one of the most complete kits for the money. Front one way, centax, sedan body, floating rear mount, wide rear tires, set of foams. All the goodies you really need in one kit for a reasonable price.

2. It is just crazy durable. Total damage over 10 months from failures (of Kyosho parts) = $15 the 1st gear oneway bearing failed. Total crash damage over 10 months (and I crash a lot) would be around $40 worth of Kyosho parts.

3. It is very easy to get it running fast and consistent with the kit setup.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:53 AM   #35
Tech Addict

AMGRacer: i don't think NTC3 has a higher rotatiing mass than V1R...... i have both cars.... and a balance too......
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:53 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ME-student
AMGRacer: i don't think NTC3 has a higher rotatiing mass than V1R...... i have both cars.... and a balance too......
Well I could be wrong there, I was passing on 2nd hand information................ Thanks for the clarification. I was going off on a tangent there anyhow

It probably has higher rotating mass then my V1R anyhow (lightend a whole bunch )
Old 08-15-2002, 04:16 AM   #37
Tech Addict

AMGRacer: are you using solid? if so.. the weight should be about the same... with front and rear aluminum shafts.
if Negative diff, no way....! i know.... hahaha.....
Old 08-15-2002, 05:39 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
What actually happened to all the NTC3 at the Nationals in the US last month? Can someone let me know, i am interested to know so i can address the issues with my car?
Old 08-15-2002, 08:56 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
It really is a load of bull to say the NTC3 is "faster" than any other car. Serpent won the recent US nationals by a good margin, in fact most NTC3 failed (4 out of 5). At our local track Mugens and V1R(R)s run as fast as the NTC3.

They are all good, people who jump between cars and proclaim the new one better are really only feeling a placebo effect, or the new chassis suits their driving style more.
hooked_on if you look at the quote of AMGRacer in the first paragragh it will answer your question
Old 08-15-2002, 11:01 AM   #40
Tech Apprentice

Me-student, Amg, Hooked on= any of you guys wanna trade your V one RR for a Ntc3 with hopups and Gh chassis.
let me know
thanks
[email protected]
Got Rice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 12:27 PM   #41
Tech Addict

i don't think they would want to do that
Old 08-15-2002, 12:29 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Got Rice?: actually i am selling my RR.....
Old 08-15-2002, 12:38 PM   #43
Tech Addict

yeah but me-student you want to trade it, trading and selling is different
Old 08-15-2002, 12:39 PM   #44
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by compaq888
InitialD i'll tell you the shortcomings later, i'm so tired i can only type so much
Ummm, I guess that means I'm not gonna get answers for this...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #45
Tech Addict

compaq888: i never said i want to trade it.............