Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 Volt Starter Box Battery: Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default 12 Volt Starter Box Battery: Help Needed

I've returned to the hobby after being away for a year.

When I tried to charge my 12V battery for my starterbox, it wouldn't charge. The voltage reads under 6V. During the charging phase the amp reads 0.00. Then the charges stops as if the battery has peaked. I know there's nothing wrong my charger, I already charged other batteries with it. Is there anything I can do to save this battery or is it time to buy a new one?

Battery specs:
Tysonic nonspillable rechargeable SLA battery
12 V 7.0 AH
Stand-by Use: 13.5-13.8V voltage regulation,
Initial current: no limit
Cycling Use: 14.4-14.7V voltage regulation,
initial current: 2.1A max

Charger:
Super Brain 969 Pro Series

Starter box:
Ofna 10258 (12V motor)
Old 05-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's quite possible that the cells have dried up. We get the same problem with these batteries in emergency lighting if they go long periods without being charged.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

put a fork in it, it's done, history, put it too rest and by a new one.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

This one's done. Going to get a new one ASAP!

Did some surfing, found some info. Great informative article on lead-acid batteries.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Old 05-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Try charging it with your car battery charger. You won't be able to charge that with any regular rc charger. You could with a turbo 30 or 35 with a power supply over 15 volts, but not with anything less. Even if in an add it says so.

How long were you gone? It probably is gone if the charge ran out of it and it was left like that. But never know.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I believe allstate has some of these batteries as well. I have a hanger9 battery.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

I pick up a new battery yesterday. Different brand name but essentially the same specs. I had a salesperson check the voltage before I made the purchase. It read about 12.84V or 12.86V.

At home I hooked it up to my charger. I charged it at 0.5 amps with a peak setting of 5mV. It charged for less than 5 minutes, then the charger beeped signifying a peak charge. I checked the voltage. 12.96V. That link to the battery site states a full charge at 13.00V.

Just to make sure it wasnt a false peak, I tried to charge it again at 0.5 amps. Within a few seconds the amp output would gradually fall 0.5, 0.46, 0.31... until it reached zero. I stopped the charge immediately, and repeated the process once more with the same results.

One thing that confuses me is during those last 2 attemepts of trying to charge the NEW battery, the charger displayed the same readings as when I was trying to charge the old battery.
1. The charger's work capacity read 100.
2. The Amp output would start at the set rate, then gradually fall to zero output within a few seconds.

So my understanding is:
1.The charger didnt want to charge the OLD battery cuz it was beyond revival.
2.The charger didnt want to charge the NEW battery cuz its already fully charged. I installed the battery into the starterbox already... its works, but I havent tested the capacity yet... going to be breaking in a new .21 engine sometime this week.
3. My charger could be malfunctioning. Bad timing as I know its past warranty.
4. My charger doesnt like to charge lead-acid batteries anymore...dont know why... it used to in the past... it could be possessed. It clearly states on the box and in the instruction manual that this charger will charge LEAD-ACID batteries... was the reason I bought this charger in the first place.

Yep, I been away for a good year. the old battery was left to sit that long.

SO I can charge the old battery using a real car-battery charger.
It wont blow up?

Long post... to much coffee this morn.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

You can-not charge a 12 volt battery even the little starterbox batteries with your rc charger. It just won't do it. Doesn't matter if the charger manual states it will, it won't. What are you using for a power supply? If it isn't 15 volts or so you won't be able to charge that 12 volt battery with it. Try your car battery charger. That's what I use even on new starterbox batts.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by jbrow1
You can-not charge a 12 volt battery even the little starterbox batteries with your rc charger. It just won't do it. Doesn't matter if the charger manual states it will, it won't. What are you using for a power supply? If it isn't 15 volts or so you won't be able to charge that 12 volt battery with it. Try your car battery charger. That's what I use even on new starterbox batts.
Thanks for the reply Jbrow1.

The MRC Superbrain 969 is supplied with a DC power supply which attaches to the charger.

DC Power Supply:
INPUT: 120-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
OUTPUT: 13.5 VDC, 5 Amp

I'll check my real car battery charger to see if it can charge at 2 Amps. OR what Amps should I charge at. Does the C10 rule apply?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

I have a Triton and I've been charging my 12 volt startbox battery for the longest. It might not be the best way to charge a 12 volt pb lead acid battery but its working for me sofar. No complaints.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Man I wrote a long ole post, and the thing got lost. I charge mine at 2 amps on the car batt charger. Sometimes at 15 if I'm in a hurry. These gel cells are basically the same thing as a sealed lead acid battery.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

2amp on the car charger works great. This is the only way I have charged by battery. I would have not even thought to have used my RC battery charger. Just not made for this battery type.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

I'll give the real car-battery charger a try. I have a Sears 4-in-1 charger which has a 1.5amp mode for charging motorcycle bats. It also has a 0.35amp maintenance mode.

The charger has a timer function.
How long do I charge it for?

Do I stop the charge when the battery reaches a certain voltage?

Any tips on charging is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know about chargers with the timer mode. The one I use just shuts itself off when it's charged. I'd charge it for 2 hours or so at the 1.5 amp. Then put it on the maintenance mode for a few hours.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks bro, you've been a great help, much appreciated.