Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta >

Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta

Nitro on road racing is dead in Atlanta

Old 05-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Motorman
Uriah
maybe the issue is that the guys that stopped got tired of getting their buts kicked weekend and weekout by the same five guys? maybe you guys should have considered splitting your sedan classes and 1/8th classes. Revelation Raceway does this and their turnouts do well. Amature, Novice and Pro. This gives guys with lesser driving skills a chance to compete on a level with those of similar driving skills. It polices itself as the guys who dont belong in a lower class get dogged to move up. It also gives people who don't want to spend mega bucks to compete a class to race in and be competitive. If people aren't having fun they move on simple as that. Also we as racers need to watch out for becoming clickish, If you consider yourself a seasoned racer you need to be spending 30 minutes to an hour helping somone who is new and struggling at each race you go to. There is always time you just have to make a concious effort to do it. We all need to make a concious effort to meet the racer you don't know and at least introduce yourself. (it does make a difference) If the new or novice guys feel that they belong they will keep comming back. RC car racing is as much a social activity as it is a competitive activity. when the social aspect dies the racing dies. Buickering amongst racers is another thing that will kill a group of racers in the blink of an eye as its easy to forget racing is supposed to be fun. (then theirs the dreaded cocky arrogant peckerwood who's life revolves around telling the world how bad azz he is and just makes the whole day miserable, everybody knows one. You guys, need to get a life!!! or a girlfriend or a dog who wants to listen to that stuff cuz the rest of the world that does not struggle with insecurity issues don't give a flyin rip when the days over, contrary to your popular belief!! These types need to do us all a favor and shut up and race their car. if their that good the rest of the world will tell them without them having to tell us. This is a generic comment directed at no one but it is a valid point) The minute an activity becomes unfun its over (in the words of Harry Gant "Stick a Fork in It") you also need to consider setting up a travel series for the dedicated hardcore guys like we have up north. Rolling the same tracks over and over can get really old.

I know our Midwest Series brings no less than 80 and up to 115 racers to each event X 6 races over the season and then you have the club racing that goes on at at least 4 tracks in our series and the Great Lakes Challenge. Racing up north is definatly not dead and I expect this year to be no different. Its all how you handle it. Ask your self if you race as a cohesive group where every racer and the fact that they stick is important or as an individual. if the answer is individual then there is your issue. we also need to ask ourselves if we just show up race and leave or do we contribute in some way even if we are not the track owner or part of the host club. That is another major issue.
My 2 cents.

I agree with basically everything you said.........My personal belief is the only way this hobby grows is if you lend a helping hand to others that have less knowledge than yourself. It doesnt work anymore if a guy is fast and trys to keep secrets from everyone to keep the edge he has, this only hurts the hobby. First of all, yes he will keep winning, but this will cause people to get discouraged and ultimately quit the sport. Now on the other hand if you help fellow competitors it will only make them faster, better and in return the level of driving gets better on a whole and everyone enjoys themselves. I personally race locally
at Go racing in FT. lauderale, fl. and I attend all Florida state series races. If any one ever needs help please do not hesitate to ask I will help as much as possible.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Motorman, you are 100% correct!!!

I'm the director of the MSRA here in Memphis, and I preach these very ideas at EVERY SINGLE driver's meeting. It gets old for some, but the new guys need to hear it. We race nitro and electric seperately on opposing weekends. Both have a novice, sportsman, and expert class for everyone to find their comfort zone. We don't put up with any harrassing or hecling. Our racers go out of their way to help the new guys. Our nitro races are just getting going and we keep getting more and more racers. We'll probably go over the 20 racer mark at the next race. Possibly 25.

For those wanting to travel, our website is www.msra-racing.com You guys are more than welcome to come race and have fun. Our guys aren't fast enough to be much cometition for guys like Uriah, but hey, winning ain't everything and Uriah you don't finish EVERY race you start... although I've never seen you break...

L8r,
Jason
Old 05-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Motorman brought up some excellent points. This board thrives because people are friendly and helpful for the most part. Tracks will thrive and survive if the same attitude is carried over to the raceways. You dont have to give away all your secrets, but to help someone enough to help them have fun doesnt require giving away all your secrets. And if you refuse to give away knowledge at least be cordial and sociable. And at the very least point them to RCTech.net! The more sociable the atmosphere the better the reputation of the hobby and the more interest drawn into the raceways! My two cents.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

there are plenty of able people at tfb that are willing (and quite often do) to help everyone out. at the same time, its hard to help on a race day when there are only three or four heats. before or after the races is the best time to get help not to mention the forums and during the week.
i've always been more than willing to help out anyone who comes calling (when desperation kicks in i do get asked for help)
yes, some take it to seriously, myself included, but its just because some people are more competitive than others. as with all hobbies or leisure activies. and as far as splitting classes up, if enough peeps were wanting it, it would have been done. i dont think that would have helped at all. and i also know that help with your settups is in abundance at tfb.

bottom line:have fun
lets have a good weekend of racing.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At our club we offer classes for the novices & it keeps our numbers good. We average 80 drivers every Tuesday night.
We have a class for the Hardcore guys run to the same rules as sanctioned races. Outlaw Tourers for the experienced racers that are not hardcore, A class for 1/8 & 235mm combined. For the less experienced guys we run a kit class that the car must be as it was out of the box, also a single speed & a 2 speed class that must use pullstart engines. Once someone has come first or 2nd in a fifteen week championship they are no longer eligible to race in kit class. That seems to stop the trophy hunters staying in it to keep winning. We also run 2 offroad classes (on the bitumen track) as well. It is a sh!tload of work to pull it off every week, but it keeps the racers coming back. There are other tracks in our area that have better facilitys but dont get the numbers because they are too hardcore. The average racer has a life expectancy in the hobby of 12 to 18 months, they either then leave for something new or stick around forever & get more serious. The more newbies that come through will mean more serious guys down the track. The trick is attracting the newbies & keeping them interested via offering classes they can be relitivly competitive in off the bat. I also think Motorman hit the nail on the head.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Yes ! there IS a club in Atlanta... problem is Noone from TFB will help us out with promotional stuff. AROCC, the Atlanta Radio Operated Car Club, has been trying to rise from the ashes of the Dixie Racers, for the last year. AROCC 's website is our website.

Someone has been trying to buy the land the Sugarbowl is on, for the last 10 Years. I imagine the offer has gotten too good to pass on, and the owner's have sold the property. We race at the Sugarbowl every weekend, entry fees are collected and a monthly rental fee is paid to the track owners, by the club. They have assured us that we can race there until the bulldozers come to tear the place down. This is one of the finest tracks in the country, made with feet of bedrock, and coverd in playground asphalt. Our plan has been to raise intrest as much as possible until the tracks demise, I know something should have been done months ago... then propose to a local county or city gov't., parks dept. and try and get them to build a track that the club could then maintain. As Grinder knows, I have been sidlined as of lately, and haven't been able to get out to the track, but I will, as soon as I can.

Dennis, has great ideas, and we've always done that, try and separate by exprience. But, some of the best drivers in the country are here and you can't always reign them in. And alot of these drivers race 8th scale cars, and you can't seem to interest them in anything else. TFB is, not the biggest track around, (see Fernando, I TRY to be diplomatic) there's no way, unless you, like TFB is, are a Serpent dealer, could ever run an 8th scaler there.

There is also the argument that tracks, like the Sugarbowl, which I always thought was to their advantage, are hidden from the general public. The Suagarbowl is out of site to any road, unlike the former race location for the Dixie Racers, and some contend that because we don't have that constant I 85 EXIT ramp traffic sitting there with nothing else to look at has hurt the club. And I agree with that, too. But really, given the choice of sitting ub a giant parking lot with lamppoles for shade, or a park-like tree surrounded area, I would trade the exposure.

AROCC is going to have a final points championship for the Sugarbowl
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

And although we forgot lsat weekend was Mother's day when we planned.....We'll still have the series.

On the 2nd and 4th Sunday's of the month, we'll have points races, Classes for Novice, 200mm Touring, (touring and Tpro?) and 8th scale classes will have points gathered and trophies awarded by AROCC.

Come out a join us, if your there then there's ONE MORE Person at the track racing.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Oh, and AROCC has the latest in AMB transponder sytem and personal transponders are welcomed.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by theRED5
And although we forgot lsat weekend was Mother's day when we planned.....We'll still have the series.

On the 2nd and 4th Sunday's of the month, we'll have points races, Classes for Novice, 200mm Touring, (touring and Tpro?) and 8th scale classes will have points gathered and trophies awarded by AROCC.

Come out a join us, if your there then there's ONE MORE Person at the track racing.
I'll be out there this weekend. But when I'm driving look out fellas!

Is Saturday strictly offroad and can people go out during the week to practice?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

The demise of the sport is due to one thing and one thing only. The lack of support for tracks from the manufacturers!!

They are the ones that will benefit from the building of tracks and yet they do little or nothing to help people like me who want to build a track. All we ask is a bit of advice and a pile of money!! LOL

Cheers
Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

I know a guy that will make me a commerciall and put it on TV for $250 Just show Uriah doing one lap and see how many people ivestigate the hobby.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Racing cost

If all those problems were fixed.....would the cost of racing be a factor? Look at what has happened to the cost of nitro sedans much less 1/8! The price of a Nova Rossi is unreal. I haven't bought a Nova Rossi since I bought my RB C4 back in 2002. I have been running OS (VZ-R) in 1/8 and still make the A Main at club races. But that's me. I think there are other problems besides the what else is being discussed. Am I wrong?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Exactly. Touring cars were the entry level for the wanna be 8th scale racers. The lure to nitro.

The Serpent Impulse with a 1hp NovaMega engine and pipe was $359. Now that same combo is nearly double that. I can understand inflation over the years and technology, but jeez 100% increase in roughly 4-5 years gets intense.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

I'm going to try my best to get out this weekend, I'm jones-ing bad for some racing action.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Tech Initiate

The demise of the sport is due to one thing and one thing only. The lack of support for tracks from the manufacturers!!

They are the ones that will benefit from the building of tracks and yet they do little or nothing to help people like me who want to build a track. All we ask is a bit of advice and a pile of money!! LOL

Cheers

I tend to want to agree with you a little, for in my backyard we have one of the leaders in the RC world, at the local scene we haven't seen the representative forces. I do understand that everyone has a busy schedule, and that competition in the races has gotten strict, so it may tend to be a focal point, but that competition starts LOCALLY. It does take a whole lot to run a track. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.