R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default 4tec 3.3 handling stinks

Hi I have a 4tec with the 3.3 and its a cool car for going in a straight line with lottsss of space around but it handles like poop. I added the sway bars and with my new controller was able to make additional steering adjustments. All of that helped a lot but I really think the 3.3 is just too much motor for such a little car, it spins out any time I touch the throttle with even the slightest steering input..does this happen to everyone or am I missing something with tuning the suspension.. Was this an issue with the older 4tec with the .15 and 2.5 motors too? or would putting one of those motors on solve that issue? Thanks!
Doggifizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

What tires are you running?
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Tech Regular

tires is the biggest thing. im assuming your running rubber tires, but go with a softer compound. the 3.3 is a lot of motor for a 1/10 touring car, ive never run one, however i tried running my .21 tc3 on rubber tires, its not pretty. i myself wont touch rubber tires for a touring car, i go straight to foams. foam tires will wear faster, and yes they will chunk, however if you want to put the power down, even just bashing, its a good way to go. if you dont want to go that way, try some softer compound rubber tires.

if you look around online you should be able to find some setups for the 4tec.
Sharkey_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

thanks for the replys. yeah i am running rubber tires, I just got them they are team associated pre mounts.I dont remember the exact specs but they are pretty soft directional tread.. i had foams on it before these and i had the same problem. yknow i just thought of this the rear differential is locked it was like that when i got it, the guy i got the car from had welded the gears. will that make a big difference? I always figured it would help it not hurt it though
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

That can make your car spin out since both tires are rotating at the same speed. You need a differential.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Cool I'll try that then, what about having one up front? It still might be too much motor though, I have a trx15 laying around that I could put on it but never did because of the rotary carb/side exhaust differences.. Also should the diffs on it be filled with oil?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Well I switched the front and rear diffs and it drives a lot better now. I feel pretty foolish now since the issue was pretty obvious, I just wasn't thinking about the diff I guess since it was like that when I got it. As for the tires you mentioned foams would be the way to go, but what rating would you suggest(shore I think its called)? I don't know much about on road I've always had trucks before this