Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
200mm tc Body cooling holes >

200mm tc Body cooling holes

200mm tc Body cooling holes

Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 200mm tc Body cooling holes

Hi guys

I hope someone out there can help. I have been out of racing for some time and I am now returning.

My question is to do with the engine cooling holes when I was racing we always had the cooling hole in the windscreen in front of the engine but I see from all the latest picture that this isn't done any more and the hole is above the fuel tank only with the front side windows removed.

Just wondering if this has been done as the body is designed for it this way or what is the reason.

I have also noticed they don't cut all the back window out.

So I guess I am asking what is the best position for cutting the cooling holes in my new bodies.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Follow EFRA, IMFRA, ROAR rules. There all the same. 2" or 50mm hole cut on front windsheild Round or square. Holes on rear window, believe its illegal. Or follow the Club your racing with, they may have thier own rules, Based on Organization you run.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default body holes

yes for the front, any location. The front side windows, not the rear side windows. The entire rear window or any part can be removed.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

For our rules in oz we can cut 60mm on the front window but if it goes into the roof line which it all ways basically does its 50mm, the 2 side front windows it also help for the motor to run bout 10-20 deg cooler I've tested it, and the rear window 100% can be cut out but I run the protoform p37 and on the rear window there a line that I cut too and it leaves a lip on the back window and i just bend it down which helps for more rear downforce
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Blown! Where are you located?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

IFMAR is 60mm unless it goes into the roofline then it's 50mm. Do yourself a favor and get a circle cutter to make the cuts. Much easier and no surprises at tech when they measure the diameter.

You can remove both front side windows and the entire rear window also. I usually do the sides and just make two larger circle cuts for the rear window. Helps keep the roof stiffer so it's less likely to collapase during pitstops when your pitman picks up the car.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm in Australia so we run pretty much the IFMAR rules.

It is just interesting that the top guys run with the smaller 50mm hole above the fuel tank and the side windows cut out, I have set mine up with the 60mm hole in front of the engine and still have good access to the fuel tank but i will be trying the side window cut outs as well next week to see how much more cooling this adds.

It would be interesting to see where the Body manufactures have the hole cutouts located when doing the air flow modelling when designing the body or is this why the top guys run the bodies like this.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The 'top guys' run the hole in the roof to give the pitman a straight shot at the tank with the fuel gun, simple as that. The guys tuning the engines at that level also are a little better than the average joe with a screwdriver so the slight reduction in hole size is not an issue.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

IfMAR Rules Pargraph 5.15 tells it all For competition. Club can rule differently. Small differences of 10 years ago when I Traveled To Thailand when I drove in the Worlds.