R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Difference between Novarossi 51603 tuned pipe and Novarossi RB x12 tuned pipe? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/7126-difference-between-novarossi-51603-tuned-pipe-novarossi-rb-x12-tuned-pipe.html)

racer rich 08-07-2002 09:30 PM

Difference between Novarossi 51603 tuned pipe and Novarossi RB x12 tuned pipe?

I am looking for a tuned pipe for a big on-road track with large straightaways and large sweeping turns. I race a gas touring car (Reflex NT). On Novarossi's site they list the 51603 as there "top-end" pipe. Here is a picture of it with Novarossi's description:

http://www.novarossi.com/marmitte/foto/51603.jpg

Here is Novarossi's description: "High speed pipe developed for track use. With this exhaust the RPM range and top speed limit increase giving faster speed in the straights."

This is what I need for the large track I race on (which is Silverbowl Raceway in Vegas). I was given advice by someone to use the Novarossi RB x12 tuned pipe for large sweeping tracks. Here is a picture of it:

http://www.ace-hobbies.com/Images/Pi...bc1700-200.jpg

Here is Novarossi's description: Roar legal tuned pipe for 1/10th scale on-road racing.

These pipes look very similar. Is the RB x12 just a Novarossi 51603 with the RB insignia on it? Do they differ in performance in any way, or do they offer the same exact performance? Which pipe would be more suitable for a large sweeping track and give better performance for top-end and high-end power? I will be using one of these pipes with a Novarossi 40602 polished Rear Exhaust Manifold, a Trinity/Rossi .12 Pixi-Black engine, and a Trinity Reflex NT.

Also, this question may sound foolish, but is there any performance gains and losses between a "polished" pipe and manifold and a "black" pipe and manifold? Is it just for cosmetics and looks or is there any performance gains or losses between both "colors" of pipes and manifolds?

Does anyone have suggestions on other tuned pipes that are specifically tuned for large sweeping tracks (high and top-end power)?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Rich

InitialD 08-08-2002 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The one that is similar to the RB X12 pipe is the 51602. It's a fatter pipe and therefore not suited for your needs. Don't know if they are the same but Novarossi usually does make parts for RB for their engines. Novarossi also makes parts for NovaMega (Serpent) line of pipes and engines.

51603 is indeed a high end pipe but it it was me, I'd rather go for the 51604 inline type pipe for large sweeping track better performance for top-end and high-end power. I have one and I like it a lot.

To answer your question regarding polished and unpolished, yes it's partly cosmetics but more so for performance. Polished internals of the manifold and exhaust provide smaller resistance in the air flow and thus provide better performance.

Michael_T 08-08-2002 03:36 AM

Originally posted by InitialD
The one that is similar to the RB X12 pipe is the 51602. It's a fatter pipe and therefore not suited for your needs. Don't know if they are the same but Novarossi usually does make parts for RB for their engines. Novarossi also makes parts for NovaMega (Serpent) line of pipes and engines.

51603 is indeed a high end pipe but it it was me, I'd rather go for the 51604 inline type pipe for large sweeping track better performance for top-end and high-end power. I have one and I like it a lot.

To answer your question regarding polished and unpolished, yes it's partly cosmetics but more so for performance. Polished internals of the manifold and exhaust provide smaller resistance in the air flow and thus provide better performance.

Agreeded, the X12 and 51602 pipes are better suited for smaller tracks, as they seem to have a better low end range. I've owned both, difference between the two is virtually nothing! The X12 did seem slightly softer (maybe the chrome show the dents alot more :D )

I now run the 51604 Nova inline pipe, extremely good pipe, once again seems alittle softer, but is currently the one to have a large tracks. It seems to give the engine the extra RPM needed on top end. :)

racer rich 08-08-2002 10:53 AM

Novarossi 51603 compared to the Novarossi 51604

Novarossi and InitialD, thank you for your replies. One last question. The Novarossi 51603 pipe is the same "shape" and "type" of performance pipe (both for top-end power) as the 51604? In other words the 51604 is just an "in-line" spring coupled version of the 51603? Does either pipe offer greater top-end performance than the other, or do they offer the exact same top-end performance?

I would like to get a non-spring coupled pipe and manifold so I can adjust the length of the exhaust system itself. This will enable me to get even more top-end power out of my engine.

Thanks in advance!:cool:

Michael_T 08-08-2002 09:02 PM

Re: Novarossi 51603 compared to the Novarossi 51604

Originally posted by racer rich
Novarossi and InitialD, thank you for your replies. One last question. The Novarossi 51603 pipe is the same "shape" and "type" of performance pipe (both for top-end power) as the 51604? In other words the 51604 is just an "in-line" spring coupled version of the 51603? Does either pipe offer greater top-end performance than the other, or do they offer the exact same top-end performance?

I would like to get a non-spring coupled pipe and manifold so I can adjust the length of the exhaust system itself. This will enable me to get even more top-end power out of my engine.

Thanks in advance!:cool:

I guess one advantage with the 51603 is that you can play around with the manifold lengths to get the result you want.

The 51604 seems to be dialed in permantely for high speed tracks.

InitialD 08-08-2002 10:45 PM

Re: Novarossi 51603 compared to the Novarossi 51604

Originally posted by racer rich
The shape is about the same with the stinger on the inline pipe being longer. They *should* have about the performance but don't quote me on that.

I find that varying the pipe length may offer some power advantages but I don't think the effort is worth it. That is why I prefer the fixed length inline pipe. Gives me a piece of my mind and that it is more reliable. Still gives me plenty of torque.

I suggest to better look at somewhere else i.e. gearing / 2nd speed shifting and a more efficient clutch system like the Centax. Much more power can be gotten from engine porting but I leave that to the experts.

Michael_T 08-09-2002 01:05 AM

Re: Re: Novarossi 51603 compared to the Novarossi 51604

Originally posted by InitialD

The shape is about the same with the stinger on the inline pipe being longer. They *should* have about the performance but don't quote me on that.

I find that varying the pipe length may offer some power advantages but I don't think the effort is worth it. That is why I prefer the fixed length inline pipe. Gives me a piece of my mind and that it is more reliable. Still gives me plenty of torque.

I suggest to better look at somewhere else i.e. gearing / 2nd speed shifting and a more efficient clutch system like the Centax. Much more power can be gotten from engine porting but I leave that to the experts.

I agree again :) The fixed inline pipe used with the Novarossi engines, you know that it is 99.9% the right length/mix needed to give the engine maximum performance.

For the guys not playing around with pipe lengths, trust me, its worth doing. It free and simply.

payloder 11-06-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Novarossi (Post 154755)
I agree again :) The fixed inline pipe used with the Novarossi engines, you know that it is 99.9% the right length/mix needed to give the engine maximum performance.

For the guys not playing around with pipe lengths, trust me, its worth doing. It free and simply.

yjdyrdyrjftfty

payloder 11-06-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by payloder (Post 8175292)
yjdyrdyrjftfty

ytytfjfjyhhj