R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-04-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default The ART of R/C Gas Car Racing

Art Carbonell will be working in the near future on a book all about r/c car racing. Art is wondering what topics people would like to see in this book, beyond the basics. In other words, what things do people still find confusing, and need a good explanation for? What topics have not been covered before, which people are still interested in?

Much of this material has been written by Art over the past 10 years. Art would dictate, I would type, Art would proof-read, and eventually we'd get it all done to his satisfaction. Much of this material has been posted on various websites, including the old TSN, the new TSN, SGRID, and I think a few others. All of the material written so far has been updated, and is now available at the SGrid Online site (http://www.sgrid.com) under "articles". However, we'd like to make it available in book form, with lots of illustrations. The book would be reasonably priced, and would be small enough to fit in your toolbox.

If there's something in particular you'd like to see covered, please leave a note here, or the item at SGRID, or just send me an email at "[email protected]" with the subject of the email being "Art Carbonell".

We've already found a printer for the book; we just need to get all the work done before we send it off to him.

(Oh, and if you read the material that's already posted in the new magazine site, and see anything that's confusing, please send an email about it, so it can be fixed up.)

mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

personally, i would like to see what particular changes will do to a car. for example, if your car is pushing off power, what is the first adjustment that should be made? this might be too basic, i do not know. good luck with the book... can i pre-order one???
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Definately suspension settings, engine tuning, clutch adjustment, fuel- castor vs synth, tires, etc.

If the front or rear end is loose what does someone do to start adjusting? Some people make fine adjustments by tires other by suspension, which is correct?

Explaining terms: such as droop and ackerman with illustrations. What they do and why.

And that a car is nothing without a driver. People tend to think because they have $2500 worth of stuff in/on they are going to win, when it is the set-up. People get caught up in brands and upgrades and wonder why they are not winning. (I have been guilty of this.)
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe a History chapter? I'd spend $50 alone on a book that gave me a little history about the hobby.

What started onroad nitro RC cars? What was the first made or production 1/8 scale racer? What was revolutionary back in the 80s when RC Cars started to take off, what is revolutionary now?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default book

How about:

1. glow plug selection
2. when to shim the head to get the best performance with certain percentages of nitro
3. pipe selection for different track layouts
4. gearing how to's
5. tire sizes and what the split does and how it affects the car's handling
6. when to use a one-way, solid axle, or diff
7. shock angles, sway bars and how they effect the car's handling
peakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

1. Some History
2. Tire choice under different condition ( surface and air)
3. How to build a better car
4. "must do" maintences
5. How to save money and still have fun!!! ( stop buying unnecessary hop ups )
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

maybe even come out with multiple books. one book on set-up, one book on the history of r/c, one book on engine tuning and maintenance, etc. for all of you who do not know who art is, hopefully there are not many out there, he really is the icon of r/c. he knows everything you could possibly need to know. if i had my choice of anyone in the world to be my mechanic, i would select art. now that he is no longer with serpent, i think these books will be great for all of us. whatever the price is for these books is well worth the investment. there just really is no other single source of information out there that is more knowledgeable.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
Tee
Tech Apprentice

How do you go fast.
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by joemugen
maybe even come out with multiple books. one book on set-up, one book on the history of r/c, one book on engine tuning and maintenance, etc. for all of you who do not know who art is, hopefully there are not many out there, he really is the icon of r/c. he knows everything you could possibly need to know. if i had my choice of anyone in the world to be my mechanic, i would select art. now that he is no longer with serpent, i think these books will be great for all of us. whatever the price is for these books is well worth the investment. there just really is no other single source of information out there that is more knowledgeable.

i second that...a super class act!
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by joemugen
personally, i would like to see what particular changes will do to a car. for example, if your car is pushing off power, what is the first adjustment that should be made? this might be too basic, i do not know. good luck with the book... can i pre-order one???
JoeMugen,
Theres a book out called the XXX Main Chassis Setup Guide......this has the type of info youre looking for.....it should be available in your LHS.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: book

Quote:
Originally posted by peakman
How about:

1. glow plug selection
2. when to shim the head to get the best performance with certain percentages of nitro
3. pipe selection for different track layouts
4. gearing how to's
5. tire sizes and what the split does and how it affects the car's handling
6. when to use a one-way, solid axle, or diff
7. shock angles, sway bars and how they effect the car's handling
Theres an excellent post by AFM about half way down the following page.....it provides good info on plugs, shimming, weather etc.-
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&pagenumber=30

Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyT
JoeMugen,
Theres a book out called the XXX Main Chassis Setup Guide......this has the type of info youre looking for.....it should be available in your LHS.
Cheers
thanks for the advice.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #13
Tech Addict

I'm making notes on many of these things.

A whole lot of what people are asking for is already covered in the existing writeup. If you've signed up for SGrid Online (www.sgrid.com), select the article by Art, then select "printer friendly" version, and you can print out your own book today.

As to brands, neither the existing material, nor the new material, will be "brand specific". It's all written in a general way, to help peole no matter which brand of car they drive.

For the new things, I'll organize all this and get with Art in a while, and we'll start working on it. I think it would also be good to add images to the existing chapters, already written.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:01 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
How do you go fast.
Yeah.. i agree with this or maybe change it alittle bit to
1. " How do a pro (champion) go fast ? "
2. How they (pro/champion) setup their car to suit the track and their driving style?
3. The art of car handling and throttle control.
4. The art of "reading" a track fasters racing line.
4. Corners...... how many kind of corners? How to go fast at that particular corners? then the most important thing is how we should setup a car to be able to take the corner fast and efficient?

That's a challenge..
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Martin Crisp authored the XXX-main setup guide (good guy, and an awsome racer, raced with him in 12th scale & touring a couple times, he's fast ) . The XXX-main guide covers all the setup stuff you need to know about touring cars as far as setup goes.

So, things I would like to see that are not covered in the XXX-main guide would be:

1. Quick chapter about the history of RC (from the old flexi RC500 days till now, etc..)
2. Overview of a typical modern day car. Telling what particular things do (why a one way? Why a spool? 3 belts why not two? Clutch gap?, etc..)
3. Engine overview and tuning (why 3,5,7 ports? what pipe? golw plugs? fuel?, etc...)
4. How to race an RC car (throttle control, apexing corners, worthwhile practicing, etc..)

Good luck.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote