R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default On-road Cars ok for Parking Lots?

Hi,

How do "proper" nitro on-road cars (i.e. Serpent 747 / 966, Mugen MTX5) perform on imperfect surface (i.e. parking lot)?

Do they get damaged easily with little debris (i.e. small rock chips) due to their minimal ground clearance?

I have never owned a "proper" nitro on-road car and am interested in getting one. However, there is no track remotely close to me and I can only play at parking lots. As you know, parking lot surface is filled with small cracks and debris and I just don't know how an on-road car would do.

Thanks in advance!
bescacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
kmh
Tech Addict

NO, surface should be as clean and smooth as possible. Then prepped with a traction compound for competition racing. Small rocks and debri can damage gears and belts.
kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You can definitely run any nitro car in any lot, but if you aren't planning on racing, I would suggest a cheaper, RTR style kit as those have some sort of covers for the diff gears etc.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

You could also put a set of rubber tires on them, which increases the ground clearance a little, get better traction on rough/dirty surfaces and last a lot longer.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://serpent.com/product/600040

Get one of those
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I have litterally "sand blasted" the underside of my pipe and destroyed the underside of my chassis from running in parking lots that have tiny pieces of rock in them. Running over tiny pieces of rock at 50+mph can do amazing things to an onroad. God help you if you hit something other than "tiny" pieces..... They also eat spur gears... If you can find a very clean or a newly constructed parking lot you may be ok. Just scan the area first.

Also, if you run over a crack or something of that nature at high speed...... call it a day. I pretty much have no choice but to run in parking lots and I find that a lot of self discipline and self control can really help prolong the life of your parts.
GregUnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

if you wanna run nitro on road get a 1/8 GT. shaft drive (no Belts) can most will take most heavy abuse being buggy based rubber tires and plenty fast for parking lot bashing

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Tech Regular

ive run different onroad for years in parking lots, its all ive got where i am. go with a shaft driven car, belts hate small pebbles. id say look at a nitro tc3, or an hpi nitro rs4 3. dont waste your money on a race ready car like an xray, serpent, mugen, etc. itll just get destroyed.
Sharkey_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

i dont own a car myself but but i have seen few car having problems
rahulpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

G.L.A.R.C.R.C. has it's roots since 1975 and we have always had a successful racing history on nothing but parking lots, the secret is cleanliness.

We use a side discharge leaf blower before we setup the track and it pretty much takes care of small rocks, trash, debris etc. A regular hand held can do the job as well. You can then dilute regular fountain syrup with water or methanol 50/50 and spray it on the area you'll be using. Providing bumps and cracks are minimal, you should have a clean and medium bite surface to have fun on, check out some of our parking lot racing, we run 1/10, 1/8 nitro and G.T., also 1/5 scale.

http//:www.glarcrc.com
gwilli2001us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Don't know what exactly you'd want, but if you were looking for a 1/8 onroad (not GT) that was RTR, Edam makes one of those....fully convertible to on track setup for a little more. Comes with engine, rubber tires, servos, and a cheap 27 band radio. Strictly for bashing/run anywhere and fairly durable, could probably sell those for ballpark of 400 and I think the upgrade kit to make it track-worthy is about 75 bucks.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
if you wanna run nitro on road get a 1/8 GT. shaft drive (no Belts) can most will take most heavy abuse being buggy based rubber tires and plenty fast for parking lot bashing
+1
Stuff Of Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Default Hm

On the flip side...you could go the route some others have gone. Get a 4wd offroad plus what you'd need to convert it over to a GT (tires, hub extensions, body, mounts.) Then you've got the option of playing offroad with it, if there are any local clubs for that, or swap it out and play with it where you like onroad. You'd probably get the best bang for your buck going that route.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to gary47
Default Parking lot fun

I think everyone for got the parking lots where it all started for rc gas cars and not permenant tracks. All u guy got lazy with the those tracks; Have leaf blower handy blow where u want run get cheap sprayer mix up some sugar water spray and have fun. For me bring back the parking lot tracks more fun and more track plans and challenge oh 70s.