Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity Reflex NT forum VER 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Trinity Reflex NT forum VER 1

This is the Reflex forum. Please post setups here.

I will be posting some of the mods I am making to my Reflex in a few days.

I am adding a Kawahara Negative diff in the rear. I am using MIP rs4 titanium coated shick shafts with custom-machined pistons to get smoother shock action.

I am using Kyosho ball studs and ball cups for the shocks to achieve proper ride height.

I am making many other mods as well. Will tell you guys in a few days how everything works out.

Also what happened to RCtouring.com? I remember all your names but that place does not exist anymore. I was a moderator there about 2 years ago.

Regards,

racer rich

Last edited by racer rich; 06-23-2002 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

RCtouring.com gone baby gone,

you only need to visit rctech now!

anyway i'm about to build my Reflex i will let you all know how it goes. I'm also reviewing the car for an RC Mag here in Australia.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

does any one race the Reflex??? If so what are your thoughts?
Old 06-29-2002, 02:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by black-knight
i was close when i said your new car could be coming from CMC wasnt i
Old 06-29-2002, 02:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by David

i was close when i said your new car could be coming from CMC wasnt i
you were exactly right!, i was just not admiting it!
Old 06-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by black-knight
i run the reflex. from what i can tell the car changes direction like no other. it is very easy car to drive fast. now i got my rubber set up down now the reflex is about 2 seconds faster than my racer 2 that i spent all summer working on set on. last year it would hang with the serpents but this year the cars to beat are the NTC3 and the reflex. the reflex seems to carry more corner speed but the ntc3 has that yank from corner to corner. but with a mod motor it is all RFX just got to keep my tire temp under 182 deg
Old 07-11-2002, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rctouring became RCtech. Also, why in the heck do my diffs keep leaking? I have had the car since it first came out and actually haven't run it yet . Built it way back when and never drove it. Started it for the first time last night. I have to write trinity as my dogbones were bent from the start. Weird?
Old 07-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by damo
Rctouring became RCtech. Also, why in the heck do my diffs keep leaking? I have had the car since it first came out and actually haven't run it yet . Built it way back when and never drove it. Started it for the first time last night. I have to write trinity as my dogbones were bent from the start. Weird?
I highly recommend the Permatex Ultra Blue Silicone Gasket Sealer to seal the gaskets in your diffs. After I assembled my new Kawahara Negative Diff, I sat it down in an "level position" (as if it would sit in the car) for overnight. In the morning, I would say over 60% of the 5000 weight oil leaked out of the diff. I asked for help on the forums, and I was advised to try the Permatex Ultra Blue.

So I applied a thin coat to the gasket, let it set-up for an hour, put some Permatex on the screws that fasten the diff pulley to the case (helps keep screws from coming out), and then proceeded to finish assembly of the diff. After assembly, I did not set the diff down in a level position. I rested it vertically with the gasket "pointing-up" (this way no oil with come seep into it) and let the gasket "cure" for 24 hours.

To see if this would stop leakage, I sat the completed diff (after gasket cured) in a level position for 48 hours. When I checked at 24 hours, it was bone dry. When I checked at 48 hours, it was bone dry.

This stuff works. I like you had a major problem with the diff leaking oil. Try this, and it might cure your problem.

The Trinity Universals are thin and bend very easily. One side-swipe of the boards and you probably will bend them. All I can tell you is to buy aftermarket V-One R universals. 3 Racing makes some nice ones that are CVAs just like the Reflex's universals, but they are more beefier. There are also other manufacturers to choose from.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Hey thanks Rich. I just don't think the universals should be bent out of the box. Also I noticed you are in Nevada. A buddy and I are going out there this weekend to drive and play a bit at the big track out there. How far is that from you and are there any races going on. We kinda just wanted to practice for a bit.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Are you talking about the SilverBowl Raceway? If you are, its right here in Henderson where I live. Its about 10 minutes away from me.

As far as this weekend, this will not be a "4-Aces Club Race", it will be practice though, so we will just be bashing around. I don't think there are any big races this weekend.

We get at most on race days about 30 people. When they have the Hobby People races we get about 80-100 people, but that only about twice a year. They give away prizes at those races.

Surprisingly for a very nice track with first-class facilities we don't get a huge following for on-road. Even with no off-road track here anymore (Western RC closed up) we don't get a huge amount of people.

We get big ROAR sanctioned races here though, like the recent SPEEDLINE Grand Prix and the ROAR Nationals last year.

The practice day is on Sunday. I will be out there. Its alot of fun.

Its a very large and open track with huge straightaways and large sweeping turns. A one-way is a good idea. I run 18/22 for the pinions and 44/49 for the spurs. That seems to work.

Yeah, the universal should have not come bent. I would call up Toni Bowers (spelling?) at Trinity's customer support and tell her about that. They probably will send you a new one. If you have not bent one yet, you will. They are too thin IMO.

Hope to see you there.

Last edited by racer rich; 07-11-2002 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Ran the reflex for the first time this weekend. It handled wretty well, very loose though. A few complaints: It was loose cause the diffs leaked every where. The drivetrain was locking up due to the pin that goes through the end of the dog bone just sliding in and out. Other than that it was Ok for a first run. I will be replacing parts though.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by damo
Ran the reflex for the first time this weekend. It handled wretty well, very loose though. A few complaints: It was loose cause the diffs leaked every where. The drivetrain was locking up due to the pin that goes through the end of the dog bone just sliding in and out. Other than that it was Ok for a first run. I will be replacing parts though.
On low traction surfaces the stock "kit" Reflex setup will cause the rear-end to slide around. Try lighter oil in the rear and front shocks and stiffer springs.

I bought a Kawahara V1R Negative Diff and that provides a tremendous amount of rear traction.

Also, you can take the Floating Rear Body Mount from a V1RR to add extra rear downforce. You have to get the parts you need from Hong Kong though. Tower Hobbies is starting to carry some of the parts you need for the conversion but not everything. It is really difficult since Kyosho has no part numbers on all the hardware you need. I might just buy a V1RR since it has a Floating Rear Bosy mount and new rear suspension geometry.

The first time I ran my Reflex is was also somewhat loose but very manageable. I luckily race at a track where its very easy to find "factory driver's" particular setups for my own track.

As far as your problem with the universals that will be an ongoing problem. I suggest you get aftermarket V1R universals.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

I don't understand why you didn't just buy a V-One R