R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #106
Tech Adept

I use a 2:1 solution of SG:Water on the body with a regular spray bottle and a rag. Then I follow up with windex on the outside. I avoided the D-alcohol on the body as I was afraid it might eat the paint.
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Artificial-I

I use normal Silicone Spray (the one you use to renew your car panel) and its great ... my track its a little dusty and with this product it apperas that the dust just keep itself on the surface and with just a rapid compressor blowing action my car its clean again ...

And the best of all, maintains my car SHINY AS HELL ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #108

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Ok a little update to the cleaning. Found some cool stuff.

I went to home depot and looked in their air tool section and sure enough they have the engine cleaner attachment. The exact one we are talking about.

So if anyone wants this and doesnt know harbor freight or doesnt want online stuff. Get the one from home-depot its made my campsfeld hausing and its im sure higher quality than most you can find.

--

The second part. You can get 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. That should remove the water content more for those people are worrying about. I know I will be using that from now on If I decide on using that.

Well thats about it. Just giving an update.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #109
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Agreed, I have been very pleased with the gun from HD. Our local Wal-Mart has 91% Iso, I opted for the cheaper 70% but may try the 91.

Artificial-I: Would you then use 1:1 with Simple Green and 90% Iso, no water? It sounds very potent!

I have almost gone through my first batch of solution and feel I have the hang of it. Overall, the results are extremely satifying! I just make sure I give it an extra blast of straight air to get any lingering water. Of course, we are continuing to experiment with different mixes to find the best results.
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #110

Just keep playing with it. I guess from what people are saying they are really against water and that has changed my solution for sure.

I try to use as little water as I can , if possible none and will probably continue to never use it again.

So simplegreen straight im sure contains water itself....so im not sure what to really go with. Then the alcohol contains water as well.

Im thinking I might just go with the denatured alcohol from now on to be safe. I havent noticed any rust on my nitro. But I did just take apart my electric motor and finally found some rust way inside of the motor.

This might just happen though cause im in a humid environment. But It made me think. So just posting my happenings. Hopefully we will all find the correct mixture. But most likely its going to be personally pref.

Where as one guy wants a ton of simple green he will mix it 1:10 water. Getting himself a ton of liquid and lasting a long long time. While Ill probably stick with 1:1 ratios and zero water. Increasing cost and strength and hopefully keeping rust at bay.

Im going to do more research on simple green before I cut it out entirely. But I will continue to use it on my tires. Its far and away always going to be great with that. Removing all the dirt , dust from it.

I might use it on certain areas and then blast it off to degrease. But the nitty gritty will probably be the denatured.

I posted the iso 90% though for those who are going to continue to use that. Thats at least less water content and more strength and will always be the most non-toxic way to clean the car.

But I can deal with the fumes. I just dont want rust. But right now I havent found any except for that weird one. Granted this motor is also very old, so it probably didnt help things.

Hope this helps. Take care guys , been fun sharing the tips.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by richey
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3305

I have used this one for a year or so and it works great and the price is reasonable.
Sweet just got my ultrasonic cleaner today. Was so hard to find in there. It was in the Garden section lol.

I got that exact one. It was 39.99 I believe and harbor freight also had the alligator clips I was looking for. I about died, no one has them. Its the rubber boot covered type and they had multiple sizes and they look exactly like these hobbico/racers edge ones and costed 4 dollars for like 20 of these multiple sizes and type alligator clips. I think im set for life on alligator clips.

But what do you guys use for solutions on the bearings.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #112

Oh and Ive finally pretty much completed all my testing....not like im doing some lab experient controlled stuff here. But I did put some effort into trying just about every kind of solution combo.

I kept leaning towards it more and more. But the D-Alcohol is where its at.

Also the coughing problem I figured out. Its the combo of simple green and alcohol. I dont think its really anything bad for you. But the alcohol helps the simple green get into the wind better and overwhelm you.

But pure denatured alcohol does not give you coughing problems as bad when its mixed with simple green.

And the for sure knowing that things are least possible for rust.

Then finally when I was cleaning my RD Logic pipe, which is very shiney like chrome almost. The denatured alcohol left the pipe looking much cleaner as if it wasnt touched.

While the simple green combo puts a slight haze over it.

But one thing I figure would work well. Is use two solutions. Blast the car with simple green , then finish it off with denatured alcohol. To remove any simplegreen which might have water in it and the simple green will help cut the oil beforehand.

But basically whatever you do its probably best to use pure-d alcohol at the end....then of course blast it all off with air.

Also to the people and websites that suggest basically spraying wd-40 all over the car and in the outdrives and axles and what not. I went ahead and did that and then blasted it dry.

WOW. The plastics look new. Then the good stuff, it litterally increased the rolling efficiency by probably 2X. I swear the car just became amazing. The suspension less squeaky and just ultra smooth. I couldnt believe some simple spraying around like I was some stupid neighborhood kid and his new rc car using plain ol wd-40 on the car like it was good for it......and it actually is.

Also the plastic become much more slick and new feeling. So I guess it will repel dirt better. Im really happy about these findings. So I went ahead and bought a case of wd-40. LOL.

Well Ill probably do some testing on the cleaning. But its come down to d-alcohol only as the final step.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #113
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

For cleaning the bearings I usually just balst them with motor spray or DNAlcohol
then I drop them in the ultrasonic cleaner with just enough WD-40 to cover them in the parts tray, let em soak for about 10 min then cycle the cleaner a few times then let soak for 5-10 min more then cycle 1 last time before I remove them takes me about 30min all said and done. I then pack the bearings with a lite hitemp lube can't read who makes it but it's rated for over 500*f and it's got teflon in it. been useing it for a few years now with no complaints

someone gave me a tip to lube them with the USCleaner to mix 50/50 marvel mystery oil/ATF oil(synthetic) and cycle them for about 15min or so then just let the excess drain out, wipe dry and there ready to install.
I have yet to try that method out as of yet, maybe when I move and have more room in my new workspace I'll give it a try.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #114
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update A-I! I know exactly what you mean about the fumes. That S-G smells up my whole garage - with the double door open! I have purchased more S-G (I seem to go through it more quickly than others). I have used all my iso alcohol, so I will try the d-alcohol method next. It makes a lot of sense to me to soak it with S-G, blast that off with pure D-alcohol and then hit it with straight air. I usually give mine a long air bath after using the solution, anyway. I agree, the WD-40 makes everything look new!! My carbon fiber radio tray gets really shiny! I hope it doesn't dry the plastic up too much. I heard WD will do that. Or, maybe I am confused about another product. Anyway, I use my air gun to clean all kinds of stuff now!

Thanks to everyone for all the grrreattt tips!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #115

Ok so use wd-40 and then take them out and spray them , then back into the wd-40?

Or swap out the wd-40 for the cleaner....then dump out that and back into the wd-40?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #116
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

I get a big gallon of wd40 at the auto parts store (non aresol) and just pour the WD40 into the ultrasonic parts cleaner.

I think thats what added to the confusion with my previous post. most people only know the spray version of WD40.

for the tip I have yet to try out, you just blast off the big dirt soak em in the MMO/ATF mix to clean and relube them dry em off and install them.

Spektrum DX3R
Old 06-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #117

Have you ever tried the rpm bearing blaster. I just went in and US Cleaned them in d-alcohol since I have a bunch of that.

Then took them out and shot them with some wd-40 in the bearing blaster....one of the bearings literally black shot out.

I then took these problematic bearings and took off the shield and blasted them again. They came out perfect.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #118
Tech Regular

i've seen it just never found them in stock when I went looking for one.
one of these days i'll get my hands on one.

Spektrum DX3R
Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Okay, it finally happened. I got a little rust. After I cleaned my car, it sat for a couple of days while I worked on my other cars. When I got it out to run, it did not roll very well. I took the engine out because the car was not shifting into 2nd (unrelated story) and noticed there was some rust on the middle shaft. Could that have been my problem? Can it be fixed or, should I replace it? Could the bearings be damaged? I have not tore it down to look yet. I cleaned the shaft with some WD40 and it is better. But, it still does not roll as well as I think it should. I felt like I "aired" off all the solution but, apparently not all. It is very hard to hit all of the hidden areas.

It just has not been my month with nitro lately.

Any advice A-I, regg or anyone?

Great big thanks!!!

Edit: P.S. This is on my MTX-2.

Last edited by NitroNubee; 06-14-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

For the bearings, after ultrasonic cleaner cycle (covered with white gas too), i just put on the ultrasonic cleaner (first take off all the white gas) WD40 4-in-1 oil and left the bearings shaking for15 minutes on the cleaner ... after that i let them soak on the same solution for a complete night, next morning i take them off and put on a towel paper for drying a couple of hours ... BTW, i never opened or disassembled a bearing ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote