R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #76
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Oh, I wasn't disappointed Pete. I just wasn't sure if I was doing it right. I am glad it is a good, cheap way to clean! And I'll get used to it. I noticed one still may need to take the car apart to get it completely clean. For example, I needed to tighten a screw on my roll bar/handle and when I took the radio tray off, the underneath side was still cruddy. That ended up biting me in the [email protected]# because I didn't do the proper house cleaning and my belt chewed thru my power wires which shorted out my battery pack. Oh well, the crash didn't break anything. I just need a new battery pack and power switch. That's the fun of the hobby, I guess. But, overall, I am going to like the SG-alcohol sprayer method. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #77

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah you gotta be sure to blast sideways at the car and inline with the chassis and make sure to run off all the stuff. This is the same for using nitro blast type spray cans. Gotta get the right angle and find the dirt hiding.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Unless, you have a blow gun, which I do not. Make sure that when you spray the car and are letting it air dry, flip the car upside down on its body posts. You do not want to the car standing on its bumper or tail section because all the leftover dirt will collect to that one area which can cause diffs to get gritty.

Plus, gravity will pull all the moisture out from the bulkheads and such.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #79
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

Quote:
Originally posted by performula
Unless, you have a blow gun, which I do not. Make sure that when you spray the car and are letting it air dry, flip the car upside down on its body posts. You do not want to the car standing on its bumper or tail section because all the leftover dirt will collect to that one area which can cause diffs to get gritty.

Plus, gravity will pull all the moisture out from the bulkheads and such.
If your using the engine cleaner gun you don't need a blow gun just shut of the flow of liquid and blast it with just air?

or did you not realize we were talking about a specific item here for cleaning the dirt and grime off? Not just the spray bottles.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #80
Tech Adept

Good tip, performula! I hit mine extra hard with just air to get most of the liquid off. Especially since I had more water in my mix than most people. I like the upside down idea.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #81
Tech Adept

NitroNubee,

Glad to hear it, and yes I found the same thing yesterday. I had to fix my rear end and when I took the reciver/batter box off there was a large build up of crud under there. I think i am just going to remove that and the wheel from jump. the wheels get so much cleaner when they are laying flat!

Artificial-I,

I'm still thanking you for bringing this knowledge to the board. It has been a huge time saver for me!

Oh yeah, I think I am going to do away with the denatured alchohol. Once I finish this mix Im not messing with that stuff again. I'll just use I-Alchohol cause everytime I use it I start to feel sick! And I will definitely use a mask from now on as well!
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #82
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

I've been using the D-alcohol for years and have never really been bothered by the fumes, but then again I only use it outdoors are you guys using it indoors?

I've used the ECG to clean my savage I take it most of you are cleaning touring cars not monster trucks?

Spektrum DX3R
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #83
Tech Master

Denatured A does not bother me either, it feels cool to the touch. If anything I have a hard time with raw nitro and spent fumes, my eyes water.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #84
Tech Adept

This may seem like a dumb question, but can you spray your electronics with this solution? i.e. servos, receiver... esp. you tc guys. What do you do, just remove the radio plate. I am asking so many questions becasue i am going to be using this setup soon and it's a great idea.

Last edited by jnims29; 05-16-2005 at 09:35 AM.
jnims29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jnims29
This may seem like a dumb question, but can you spray your electronics with this solution? i.e. servos, receiver... esp. you tc guys. What do you do, just remove the radio plate. I am asking so many questions becasue i am going to be using this setup soon and it's a great idea.

Also is this compressor going to work?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchR esults.jsp&[email protected]@@@[email protected] @@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddejfggedjcgelceffdfgidgjn.0& MID=9876
The link does not work for me but denatured alcohol can be sprayed directly on the electronics wihout any negative effects. As a matter of fact, if you wash your car with simple green and warm water (definately remove electrics), I would spray the car afterwards to draw out any moisture, then a light spray if WD40 on metals.

Denatured Alcohol is the easist without having to remove any electrics. Iso Alcohol supposedly can be used, but I stick to the 100% stuff just in case.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #86
Tech Adept

Where do you guys buy your d- alcohol from?
And how much do you need?
Can it be mixed with simple green?
jnims29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #87
Tech Adept

You'll find it in the paint/ thinner area at your local hardware or home improvement place. From what I have read, you can and/or should mix it with Simple Green. Mixture ratio is undetermined right now. Some is preference. Anyone?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #88
Tech Regular

as was stated above you can get it at any home depot, lowes, hardware store, anyplace that sells paint pretty much.

I've used straight D-alcohol for years dries quickly and breaks up the nitro grime fairly quickly.

Saftey glasses are highly reccomended. will save you from a lot of

Spektrum DX3R
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #89
Tech Adept

regg151,

Maybe its not the d-alcholhol, but the mix Im using. All I know is something is making me ill. I have been usint it inside my garage but with the garage door open. I guess I need to move my oepration outside!

jnims29,

The link didn't work for me either. I will tell you this from experience. Buy a compressor with as large a tank as you can afford. A 2 gallon tank works just fine, but you have to wait for it to refill fairly frequently when using high psi's. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten a 6 gallon tank.

My mix is 5:1:1 Simple Green:Water-Alcholhol. As I have said the fumes from this mix get to me a little bit. I would say try a 3:1:1 or just a 3:1 SG-Alcholhol if you dont want any water involved.
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #90

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I tried d-alcohol alone finally. Not bad, works quite a bit differently. Definently things stay dryer all around. It evaporates quicker.

I wasnt get that bad of fumes. I think whats making me hack is the combo of simple green and d-alcohol. It maybe makes it get into the air more and I think the simple green is also making me cough.

It weird. Im using it on the side of my house so air flow might not be so great.

But I like most all the solutions they have their own benefits. The simple green and d-alcohol seems good for off-road. Then the d-alcohol works good on nitro-on road, track only cars....where you wont find sand or dirt. Just tire and oil.

But Ill probably just switch around.

I think there will never be one great solution. Just use the engine gun and whatever you like best or can get.

I might try one more solution of d-alcohol and a light light dose of simple green in it. See how that goes....hopefully it wont get funky.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote