R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #61
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Great news 'Pete! I am so glad it works 'cause I bought my gun and alcohol yesterday! How did the D-alcohol work? I bought 70% rubbing first to try (it was only 56 cents). Also, it sounds like you mixed the Simple Green rich, any problems with residue? I cannot wait to try it!

Thanks to all the great tips everyone!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #62
Tech Adept

What do you guys use to mix your solution of simple green, water, and alcohol? Is this container the same one your air cleaner draws the liquid from. Any pics would really help. Also, this is simply a great idea!
jnims29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #63

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

You pull from just any old jug , I use a grape juice jug. Its clear and has a wide mouth. Easy to work with. You just drop your vaccum line in that and it sucks away.

I tried last night just a pure solution of simple green and d-alcohol. Let me say it was by far the craziest looking solution so far.

It got real real foggy and stayed that way. When I used water / simple green and d-alcohol it stayed clear.

I also tried to seal up my engine cleaner some. Seems to have made the drawing power worse... I think some chunks got stuck in it.

But it also could have been the pure simple green / d-alcohol mixture. Because after a bit I saw these particles floating around. Might have been from the old water...but I have a feeling pure simple green and d-alcohol dont mix well. I think water needs to be included in the mixture for it to come out well.

But the car was really clean I must admit...it seemed to clean just a tad better finally. Also dried nicely.

I would use that probably, but it was pretty bad on the lungs and if it makes particles (little white flaky white chunks). Then it will clog the cleaner and that wont work.

So im thinking just sticking with maybe d-alcohol or my previous solution of rubbing alcohol and simple green....but a pure mixture of those two. No water.

Ill let you guys know. Glad you guys like the little trick.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #64
Tech Adept

NitroNubee,

The D-alcohol worked just fine. I had no problems with residue, however like Artificial-I said this mix is pretty potent. I accidentally tipped the bottle over and got a deep whiff of the fumes. Let just say I was coughing the rest of the night. I must stress good ventilation and eye protection even with that small amount of D-alcohol. That stuff is potent.

I only opted not to use I-alcohol because of the water content. trying to use as little water as possible since this stuff gets everwhere on the car. I spent more time blowing it off then I did washing it trying to make sure I got all the moisture off the car.

jnims29,

I just used an empty spray bottle I got from lowes. mixed the solution in the bottle then just dropped the suction line down in the bottle and turned the engine cleaner gun on. When i was done I got an old piece of tupperware and put some warm water in it and stuck the suction line down in that to clean out the thengine cleaner gun. All done! Effortless.
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Artiicial-I,

With my mix, it was a hazy green in the bottle and came out the sprayer as a white mist. It looked foamy when it hit the car and then dissapated quickly taking all the gunk and grime with it. The gun I got was sealed from the factory. I broke one of the seals trying to take it apart so I could use teflon tape. No worries the teflon tape did the trick and I just left the other parts alone. i had no problems with suction. I just made sure I flushed the gun with warm water as my instructions said because there was some solution left in it. I flushed it till it was a totally clear mist coming out which took about 30 to 45 seconds I would say.

I would love to use a solution with no water, but I refuse to use pure D-alcohol. That stuff just scares me.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #66
Tech Adept

Wow T'Pete! I'll be sure to be careful! I wondered about the water thing. I-alcohol does contain water and then you mix the SG with water. Hmmmm.....I guess I get some D-alcohol. So have we determined what is the best mixture ratio, yet?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #67

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Not really. Simple Green does have some dilution charts on their website you can use to reference.

Its all probably going to be preference and how much water you want on your car and how much simple green you want to use. If you do it right though a large bottle of solution can last you a long while.

So long in fact I usually only mix like 1/3 bottle at a time so It doesnt get all funky sitting on the garage too long.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #68
Tech Adept

NitroNubee,

I would say the 5:1:1 solution is a little rich. If it works as well on my MT as it did on my TC, Ill start dialing down on the simple green a little. The stuff does go a long way. Spilt more of it than I used through the sprayer. And still hardly used any.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #69
Tech Adept

Sweet! Yah, I only have cars so they just get road & tire dust on them with a little oil here and there. I am looking forward to having a clean engine head! The SG bottle I have has a spray attachment to it. But yet, it says it is a concentrate. I suppose you can spray a little directly and power it off with a solution mixture. ?? I can wait until Artificial-I does some more testing. Or, I might try a light solution first this weekend. Hey, since you and I have the same spray gun, do I have to concern myself too much about re-sealing it everywhere? I have the tephlon tape and the proper fitting to connect to my compressor.

Thanks TexasPete!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #70
Tech Adept

NitroNubee,

The Husky brand gun that I purchased was factory sealed. I have the quick coupler on my compressor hose so i had to install a nipple onto the gun and I did use teflon tape for that. Other wise my gun was properly sealed and pick-up was not a problem at all for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #71
Tech Adept

Alrightythen! That answers that question. I'll be puting everything together tonight or tomorrow and hope to try the new cleaning method this weekend. I'll post my thoughts next week (or sooner!). Thanks T'Pete! Where are you in Atlanta? My sister lives in Lawrencville!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #72
Tech Adept

I am out in Austell. Opposite side of town.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #73
Tech Adept

I see, oh well. I get down there once a year. Check your PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #74
Tech Adept

Well, I tried it. I was a little hesitant but it wasn't too bad. I used a mix of 1:1 Simple Green and water and trew in a few glugs of I-alcohol. It worked wonders on my wheels! I am going to try different mixes and possibly get some D-alcohol next. Still better than buying nitro cleaner at the LHS.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #75
Tech Adept

NitroNubee,

Sounds like you were a bit dissapointed at the overall outcome, is this true, and if so, why?