R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #46
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

COOL! Thanks TexasPete! We just got a Home Depot here. I have the window open ready to purchase that one Regg151 posted. I'll hold off and check out the Depot. I just went out to run my MTX-3 over my lunch hour at a place with a huge parking lot. They are an ag/tools/etc. type of place. I thought I might look for one there, but I spent most of the time looking for the "C" clip that holds my spur (?) gears on. I always get them confused. Damn, I just put new 2nd gears on and really wanted to check the results! I must not have gotten the clip seated properly. Or, it was a little worn from taking it off. Well, now the search starts to find that and the little pin that does thru the shaft.

Sorry for rambling. I'll look for that sprayer tomorrow. Have we settled the debate between denatured and rubbing alcohol? Which is better to use with Simple Green?

Thanks everyone!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

if you can find it at home depot then go for it at least you can return it if theres a problem. not to mention the instant gratification factor .

I'm running mine thru my 2gallon compressor I got at walmart for 65$ works fine last long enough to spray the car down and let soak while I wait for the presurre to build up again then I blast it with air, wait for the tank to fill and repeat .

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Thanks regg151! I have no problem with capacity on my compressor. It is a 5.5 horse, 20 gal. Craftsman upright. I'll just need to know the proper psi from the spray gun manual. Or, what everyone else is using.
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #49
Tech Regular

We have an especially bad problem in the desert with blowing dust and fine sand layered on oil. I have tried all the above, but this really works if you wish to spend the effort. You will find the spray gun for the compressor, that holds about 1 cup to be very useful.
1. remove tires, radio tray, engine, 2 speed, front one way, rear diff, rear and front end units, and remove all bearings
2. Get a 3 1/2 Gal parts washer from Harbor Freight. Get a gallon of their water soluble parts cleaner, and mix according to the instructions with pure, not tap, water.
3. Using the spray gun, pre-wash all the plastic parts.
4. Put all the plastic parts and chassis in the parts washer, and turn on for an hour.
5. Remove all bearings and remove dust covers and clean bearing with carb cleaner, then clean in u/s jewlry cleaner in mixture of Castro Syntex 10-30 and Marvel Mystery oil. If you think you can clean the bearings from the outside only, wait until you try this.
6. Remove parts from the parts washer, and spray off with pure water.
7. Blow dry.
8. Spray off with methanol or ethanol-no water.
9. Blow dry. Parts will now be spotless, dry and no rust.
10. The other part are cleaned with alcohol per SOP except I clean the one ways with the Carb cleaner and never have had any problems.
11. Doing it this way, and the parts cleaning fluid lasts many cleanings, and bearing failures virtually never occur except for accident damage.
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #50

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I like the jewlry cleaner for the bearings. How much do those cost, where can you get them?
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Artificial-I
I like the jewlry cleaner for the bearings. How much do those cost, where can you get them?
I've been looking at these as well, usually around 40-50 bucks. But I'm trying to find one that doesn't have such huge slots in the dipping basket. My parts could fall right through.

Although if I could score something like this for cheap-o, I'd go for it as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...dth=817#scroll
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #52
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

I got my ultrasonic cleaner from Ebay for around 40$ works great for cleaning my airbrush. never thought about useing it for cleaning bearings.

approximitly how much of each do you use for the bearings?

As for the spray gun I can get away 40PSI.

Spektrum DX3R
Old 05-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #53

I saw one site listing the gun at 40cfm and another at 90cfm. You can find the guns on ebay, Id buy it from the guy listing his at 40cfm on ebay. Its about 15 dollars shipped from him as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #54
Tech Adept

The gun I bought today from Home Depot says it requries a 2 gallon min. compressor (check) and to operate the gun at a max. of 90psi (check). Im good to go.
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #55
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to richey

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3305

I have used this one for a year or so and it works great and the price is reasonable.
JoshStevensFoundation.org
richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Artificial-I
I use a battery powered Jewlry cleaner from Wal-Mart, for @ $15-20. Works fine. I havn't tried the 110v one at Harbor Freight, but Rich Taylor has, and he says it works better than the battery powered one. As for the basket, don't use it. Just throw the bearings in the bath and let them spin.
I use a 1:1 mix of Castrol and Marv Myst oil. The little cleaner holds about 1 oz of each. Good for several cleanings between changes depending on how well you flush the with the carb cleaner.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Climbia45 I have a question why mix the 2 oils? what is the purpose for combining them?

Spektrum DX3R
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #58
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by regg151
Climbia45 I have a question why mix the 2 oils? what is the purpose for combining them?
The oil mix has 2 purposes, one to clean the bearings, and two, to lube them. The Castrol itself seems pretty thick as a cleaner bath, so I diluted it with Marv Myst oil which is thin. The residue left is a mix somewhere between Trinity bearing oil viscosity, and the Syntec. Not very scientific, but there's still plenty of oil left after a weekend of running with track temps of 160+ degrees F. Works for me.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #59

Oh heck yeah. Thats awesome. I think Ill get that harbor freight one....

If there was a rep system, you would all get a +1 from me. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #60
Tech Adept

I finally got to test out the engine cleaner gun tonight. I used a 5:1:1 solution of simple green:water:denatured alcohol. Who could have known it could have been so easy! Spray the car down with the solution, blow off with air, walla, all done! Simply amazing. Huge time saver. It took me two evenings to get my car presentable after my last run. I ran the car tonight and I had it spotless in less than an hour!

Artificial-I Ill be forever greatful for this knowledge you shared.
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote