R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #31

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah just wait till you try the gun. Your life is going to change. Ive gone and taken a grape juice bottle and have it half filled with simple green / water and a good amount of rubbing alcohol.

Like I said above. There was no difference between the rubbing and denatured from what Ive tested. The only thing I noticed with the denatured is it burns and is way more fumey.

After all the reports of people saying this is good then finally seeing a guy on TV saying it. I said ok Ill try. After that I said, thats the last bottle of that ill be making.

I almost kinda laugh now that the rubbing works just the same. And when it hits me in the face I just think to myself....wow thats cold. Not AHHHHHH my eeyyyyeeeessss, immmmmm blindddddd - jim carey

I really dont know why people would use the denatured. Maybe it gets something off better that I dont know. But I tried all my problematic areas and it didnt do any better. I like being able to get down and dirty with my spray....with the denatured I now wear goggles and stand back...kinda sucks.

BTW the gun trick is a little thing I came up with on my own after getting the tool for my real car engine. Which BTW the simple green alcohol mixture is great for. Just let that sit for 5 minutes after you soak it, then blast it with regular water from the hose.

-- Hope you guys like it. (Also if anyone tries it out or needs help with it, let me know.)
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

the only thing that I've noticed is that the denatured tends to evaporate faster and it has no water in it as opposed to the rubbing alcohol. and the denatured gets sharpie marks of a body as well as overspray.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #33

Well ive been reading a lot of articles lately. Pretty cool what mags suggest.

They suggest using Denatured Alcohol on the entire car.
Another said simple green , but for the tires.
Then they said to blast it off with an air compressor. But they dont have the engine nozzle.

We OWNeth them.

But im thinking on trying pure denatured alcohol and just wearing goggles.

Then a lot of them suggest using wd-40 afterwards on all the moving parts and metal areas, even the plastic. They said it helps keep your car clean longer, because dirt wont stick to it as much. I saw all this info a few times from a few different mags, found that pretty interesting.

So I guess its legit. I always heard wd-40 makes plastics rubbery (not as stiff.) But with these magazines and im sure pros always talking about it. They must know something, maybe its just some weird myth?

Hope this info helps.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Simple green can be used on electronics?

What I did today was take my top plate off. Took the front and rear suspension modules off, sprayed them and the left over chassis with simple green. Let them soak for about 3-5 minutes and rinsed the sections under warm water and left them air dry on my window sill. I still have to hit the metal parts with a light coat of WD40, but is this method OK? I did however lube the visible bearings with bearing lube.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

I got my engine cleaner on saturday after sealing up all the joints with teflon tape it worked great. I ran my savage thru all sorts of mud, fired up the cleaning gun with simple green and water and blasted all the crap off at 60PSI the dirt didn't stand a chance set it for a light mist and just watched the dirt flow off what a joy.
turned up the liquid flow a bit more and got everything off from all the hiddin spots.
shut of the liquid flow then blasted all the left over soulution with air to dry it out and my savage was spakling clean gave it a quick blast of WD-40 all done

Spektrum DX3R
Old 05-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Man I commend the folks that break down their R/C's after every outing, but I just dont have time to break them down to clean them everytime I run. I want something that is going to give me good results yet is quick and efficient.

I have been cleaning with a 2:1 solution of water to simple green in a spray on bottle. Spray it on, let soak a few minutes then blow it off at 80PSI with the cmopressor. Only problem is the compreesed air dries out the simple green leaving residue. After a few applications of simple green, I followed up with denatured alcohol, but that didnt really seem to do anything but make me cough and burn my skin! As far as my truck didnt seem to help in the cleaning process at all.

Artificial-I and regg151,

Where do I pick up one of these engine cleaners? I have no clue what a harbor freight is? regg151, where did you pick yours up at? Can you order one online? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Im hoping to be able to use this new method after hitting the track wednesday!

By the way many thanks for sharing this knowledge Artificial-I!
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #37
Tech Regular

I ordered mine from here toolamerica

total was about 13$ with shipping and handeling.

just make sure you seal all the threads with teflon tape as it's put together fairly loose mine leaked air like a seive. I also sealed the threds for the nozzle and sealed the fuild delivery tube with silicone. now it draws fluid at 30 PSI instead of 70 PSI.

Spektrum DX3R
Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 PM   #38
Tech Adept

regg151

Many thanks! Reading the description, Im not sure if my compressor is powerful enough. This tool requires 3cfm and my compressor puts out 1.4scfm. I need to figure out the difference in the units first. But thanks all the same!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #39
Tech Adept

These engine cleaner guns are rated for use with compressors that supply more cfm's than mine can. Are you guys using these things with 3cfm @ 90psi compressors? Has anyone been succesful using a lesser cfm. My compressor only supplies 1.4cfm at 90psi. Am I S.O.L.???
Old 05-10-2005, 08:51 AM   #40

Yeah they tend to not be of the highest quality. I had one that wouldnt suck at all. No matter what. I returned it to the local harbor freight store.

Harbor Freight is a tool store...with a weird name. They are well known for a good selection of cheap tools.

But yeah get that seal tape and seal all the threads up. I think mine draws pretty much at any psi...its just slow at lower levels...but it goes through the tube at a good pace.

Blow enough solution for me. I notice that if you keep the engine cleaner level. It blows the solution out a bit easier. Maybe mine is a bit leaky...ill have to try and seal it up more.

But yeah im thinking on switching to denatured only. See how it goes.

Simple green will dry and get funky. Best thing to do is get alcohol in the mixture. Or spray alcohol afterwards....that should reduce the problem.

Then for performula. Im not too sure about the water. It is how your supposed to use simple green. Simple green first, then water it off.

But Im not sure with it on RC cars cause it can accumulate in areas and might cause rust. Unless you had a compressor.

Im thinking simple green, then use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. You can get the stuff at any home depot , lowes. Just ask the clerks where its at...sometimes hard to spot.

That way you can safely get the simple green off. You can use a good spray stream and blast areas. Then mist the whole thing down and try to get it to run off as best as possible.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally posted by TexasPete
These engine cleaner guns are rated for use with compressors that supply more cfm's than mine can. Are you guys using these things with 3cfm @ 90psi compressors? Has anyone been succesful using a lesser cfm. My compressor only supplies 1.4cfm at 90psi. Am I S.O.L.???
I think almost any compressor will work. Do you have an air gun or way to let out the pressure as quickly as possible.

If it gives you a good blast on the hand at long intervals. Your good to go.

It doesnt need to be all the way at 90. I know at 90 for me its pretty strong, almost too strong.

I use about 70 or so. Sometimes I also start at around 30psi and it doesnt go much above 60 cause im using so much.

It still blows very strong.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Artificial-I,

Thank you sir. I'm headed out to pick one up now. My compressor blows fairly well at around 60 psi. If you turn it up to 90 it fades pretty quickly. Blowing continuously for long periods drops it down to about 40psi but it does mantain that pressure pretty well. Im gonna give it go. If it doesnt work out, I will just take it back to the store.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Artificial-I:

I really liked the info you provided on car cleaning. So I looked for that spray gun on Harbor Freight's website and could not find it. Could they be out or can you provide a part number? Should I call them?

Thanks for all the help! I just joined this forum but have been reading it for several months. GREAT forum!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #44
Tech Adept

NitroNubee, I just picked one up from Home Depot for $11.95 before tax. This one is manufactured by Husky. So there is another option for you. If you prefer to order online Regg151 left a direct link to this item on Tool America's website, check that as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What are you guys talking about? I am kind of confused about this air thing.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote