R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Phroziac Send a message via Yahoo to Phroziac

They heat it in a crock pot. Sounds redicolous to me but i've seen that it works. Make sure its the good stuff, methyl glycol i believe...not the environmontallf friendly junk
Phroziac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dct147
Thanks fasteddie d

I`ll get the putty as well.

All u guys have been a great help.
u can get methylated spirit from the hardware shop. at S$2 a bottle, it is too cheap.

dry instantly. doesn't leave h20 behind.

wear goggles when using.
wyl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I use Denatured Alchohol but i spray it through a Siphon tip blow gun with my air compressor and it works very well. The car comes out lookling like new and it uses the alchohol sparingly.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 AM   #19

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally posted by S.Stew
I use Denatured Alchohol but i spray it through a Siphon tip blow gun with my air compressor and it works very well. The car comes out lookling like new and it uses the alchohol sparingly.
Thats basically the same setup I explained. You should add a little simple green into your mixture, itll help take off a bit more crud.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #20
Tech Adept

#1690 Serpent Cleaning Putty............enough said
FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

go get nitro cleaner at your LHS and that will get rid of the grease and left over oils on the car.....
factory racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

or u can do it the better way...although way more time consuming than just spraying sumthing...... take apart the big parts on the car so u have better acces to the little things on the chassis and clean it with a clean toothbrush and you will be guarenteed to have ur car looking like new......i do it everytime.....keeps ur car clean and well maintained....
Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by factory racer
or u can do it the better way...although way more time consuming than just spraying sumthing...... take apart the big parts on the car so u have better acces to the little things on the chassis and clean it with a clean toothbrush and you will be guarenteed to have ur car looking like new......i do it everytime.....keeps ur car clean and well maintained....
yep. only way I clean my car. strip it down after every days running and clean it properly by hand using a toothbrush, cloth and Serpent cleaning putty.

Gets the car cleaned better than sprays etc and you can examine each part for wear including parts you cant really see to good when the car is built up.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Hey guys, thanks for your help.

Thats what i normally do. Take every part out and clean.

Somehow, after doing that, car`s still oily with dirt on it. I wouldn`t say VEry dirty, but dirty enough to get my hands black whenever i hold my car.

wait a min.................... or is that normal?
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

well if u strip the whole car down like i do after each run....u should have one spec of dust on the car.....i do it all the tiem and my parents always ask me if i got a new car becuase it always looks like new...also like mentioned beffore....when u strip down ur car and clean it u can check for worn parts and see things you would never see when the car is assembled

hope that helps...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Artificial-I
Thats basically the same setup I explained. You should add a little simple green into your mixture, itll help take off a bit more crud.
yeah, Just the gun i got isnt as complicated. No valve or anything, just point and shoot. Harbor freight up here didnt have one of those tips so i went to Production tool suply and got the one i bought for $18. It does the job well, and i will try the simple green. Thanx for the tip.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

i dunno, when i ran my cars it doesnt take as much work as you guys described. believe it or not its easier for me to clean my nitro tourer than my electric tourer.

for my nitro tourer all i have to do is remove the top deck. then the rest of it is pretty easy. i dont need to strip down the entire car to clean it. and i clean the grit off the electronics, gas tank, and upper deck all together.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:

original quote - factory racer
well if u strip the whole car down like i do after each run....u should have one spec of dust on the car.....i do it all the tiem and my parents always ask me if i got a new car becuase it always looks like new...also like mentioned beffore....when u strip down ur car and clean it u can check for worn parts and see things you would never see when the car is assembled
I`m sorry, do you mean i shouldn`t see 1 spec of dust at all? and it should be clean as/almost band new?

Well, 1 problem that might contribute to my dirty car is that my engines`s leaking to over-screwing the glow plug in. Anyhow, i`m gonna run till my engine`s totally dead. so, with all the oil leaks, u can imagine how oily and dirty it would be. Everytime i want to get rid of all the oil plus the dirt stuck with it, i can`t. even after taking every part out and wiping . Have been using the de-natured alcohol for a few days now, and the results are pretty much still the same.Won`t be getting the air compressor as yet, putty have to wait for awhile too .

I feel that wiping alone won`t help, but i can`t wash every part with detergent. de-natured alcohol helped a bit , but just not enough. any suggestions that i can make do first before getting my air compressor?

Thanks alot guys, u`ve been a great help.

Last edited by dct147; 05-04-2005 at 02:05 AM.
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dct147
I`m sorry, do you mean i shouldn`t see 1 spec of dust at all? and it should be clean as/almost band new?

Well, 1 problem that might contribute to my dirty car is that my engines`s leaking to over-screwing the glow plug in. Anyhow, i`m gonna run till my engine`s totally dead. so, with all the oil leaks, u can imagine how oily and dirty it would be. Everytime i want to get rid of all the oil plus the dirt stuck with it, i can`t. even after taking every part out and wiping . Have been using the de-natured alcohol for a few days now, and the results are pretty much still the same.Won`t be getting the air compressor as yet, putty have to wait for awhile too .

I feel that wiping alone won`t help, but i can`t wash every part with detergent. de-natured alcohol helped a bit , but just not enough. any suggestions that i can make do first before getting my air compressor?

Thanks alot guys, u`ve been a great help.
How completely you clean your car is up to you. You can do a good cleaning with a few simple tools. 1st, go and get 3 or 4 really cheap paintbrushes. 1/2 inch and 1 inch wide will do fine. Get some Serpent cleaning gum. Get a can of Nitro spray or motor spray.

After a day of running your car, take paper towels and wipe down as much of the car as you can. You can use a little of the motor spray for really greasy parts, but use sparingly. Now take the paint brushes and start brushing. After you get all the visible dirt and dust, you can use a couple of shots of motor spray. Again, use sparingly. Wipe down with paper towels again. Now switch to clean brushes, brush again. You can remove the top deck for easier access or just do the best you can. Its up to you. Before you finish, give the top of the glow plug a shot of motor spray to clear any crud from around the plug. Finally use the cleaning putty to get between parts. It works really well to clean the shocks between the springs without having to dissasemble the shocks.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

I don't know if any of you have ever had to clean a 1/8 buggy or monster truck after a long day of off-road racing or bashing but I can tell you that the serpent cleaning gum would be pretty useless after just a few uses. the spray gun is a great alternative I've already orderd one to use on my own off-roaders. up till now iv'e alternated between the denatured alcohol and the air compressor which actually works fairly well but as was mentioned earlier donot get it in your eyes it burns like a sonofaB.... My onroads also get quite filthy but it's mainly dust from the foam tires as well as road grime and exhaust. for that the brushes and the air compressor are usually more then enough I save the serpent gum for the monthly tear down after I've blasted it with the air compressor at 75 psi and some denatured alcohol and/or WD-40 to lossen up the tough stuff.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote