R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #136
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

DCT147 - I've used my little 2gallon compressor I got at Kmart and it works ok the tank spends a lot of time running to keep up with the demands of the engine cleaner gun but it works quite well.
I recently picked up a 6gallon 2.5HP unit from target of all places for under 100$ on sale and this thing is much better at cleaning off my savage then the 2 gallon unit mainly cause I can run it at 75PSI as opposed to 40-50PSI with the smaller unit.

now if your refering to the little airbrush compressors that top out at 35psi then you may be out of luck you could get a cheap single action brush and use that to soak down your ride but you probably wont have the air presure required to blast off all the crud that accumulates in the corners.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:59 AM   #137
Tech Regular

Alright, Thanks for your reply.

but i`m new to air compressors. so, basically, i should be looking at 75psi or more am i right? (btw, 75psi, is this the rate of air flow?)

and also should i be looking at 2.5H.P or more? what does this stand for?

sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks for your great help!
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #138
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct147
Alright, Thanks for your reply.

but i`m new to air compressors. so, basically, i should be looking at 75psi or more am i right? (btw, 75psi, is this the rate of air flow?)

and also should i be looking at 2.5H.P or more? what does this stand for?

sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks for your great help!

ok any of the general purpose compressors generally top out at 100PSI in the holding tank before the shut off they usually kick on again at 60-75

what you need to look for really is a CFM of 2.0 at 40PSI. CFM = cubic feet per minute

2.5HP is the power of the motor driving the compressor generally the bigger the better but it all comes down to the application. If you going to be using air tools like nailguns and impact wrenches and high power tools like that then get the biggest baddest compressor you can afford but if all you plan to do is airbrush and blast the dirt of your R/C's then a 6gallon 2.5 hp compressor is just overkill but it is fun to have LOL

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:57 PM   #139
Tech Regular

alright, getting a clearer picture.

Thanks Regg151!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #140
Tech Initiate

Default using airbrush

I use my airbrush with D Alcohol for cleaning. But Im in my garage with the door open and I have a mask on. With this, I can control the spray pattern and the amount of fluid (alcohol) that passes through my airbrush to hit those super tight spots. It's also hooked on my compressor pumping at 80psi. It's just the wife thinks that I have to "paint" the car every after run
leadacid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #141
Tech Regular

Hi leadacid1,

The air compressor u`re using, is that the same compressor u use for airbrushing?

btw what does psi stand for?

is 80 considered too powerful for airbrushing? or too weak for cleaning??

Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #142
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Hi leadacid1,

The air compressor u`re using, is that the same compressor u use for airbrushing?

btw what does psi stand for?

is 80 considered too powerful for airbrushing? or too weak for cleaning??

Thanks!!
Yes, I use this for airbrushing. It's actually a silent compressor. I use 20 to 40psi (stands for pounds per square inch or air pressure) for airbrushing and I just jack up the pressure when I use it for cleaning. 80psi can be too strong for airbrushing specially for painting details. So far 80psi works for me as I aim my airbrush close to the surface to be cleaned . BTW I have 3 airbrushes, I use the oldest one (Paasche VL). My two other ones are Iwatas.

Oh yea, when you try this, you definitely need to use a mask and spray on a well ventilated area...or else.
leadacid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #143
Tech Regular

Yes i`ve heard of how D-alcohol can really hurt the eyes!

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #144

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Well guys today I saw what I would call some pretty sad stuff in a local US RC Magazine. I know good ideas are to be shared and what not, thats the idea of an article.

But to see a magazine publish something very similiar to what Is presented in this thread without any sort of recognition is a slap in the face.

I noticed during my lunch break today, as I went to relax in a bookstore with a magazine. That this publication has the exact engine cleaner tool that we have been speaking about as well they talk about simple green and denatured alcohol.

I find this very coincidental amd interesting as I know im the only person whos thought of this as I presented to many people and they hadnt seen the combo of sprayer and D-alcohol. After reading the article I could only think how terribly wrong they also had everything, almost as if they scanned through this thread without giving it much thought, changed it up enough to get by and in that change up they lost the core ingredients. Cleaning your car and keeping it from rusting is now just a big list of stuff thats half backwards.

Either way Ive never seen any of the tips presented before and I know I myself came up with that engine tool / cleaner combo all on my own without any input. I tested for probably a year before even coming up with that article or coming across the tool and now to find it rebroadcasted just a few months afterward is more than odd.

Pretty interesting the conicedence that of all the years and knowledge of rc and a few months after my article a twin of sorts comes out in a magazine, not before.

Well, Im glad I dont have a subscription to this group and probably wont deal with them again. Im not sure what else to say...... other than I had to share this ODD Coincidence thats pretty much point for point a rip off of my article and the information shared in this thread.

Which reminds me Im going to redo that article soon and place it here on rctech in a more take home print out format so you guys can always keep things running smooth and hopefully I can save a couple of those who were mislead by that article.

-- Also if anyone knows the article/magazine im talking about and read it. Please let me know your thoughts on it vs this one and so forth.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 09-01-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #145
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Midak

Well now, in all fairness, I bought this tool for this purpose before I ever read this thread. I saw it in Home Depot when I was looking for a new blower tool and thought it would be great for cleaning. It is possible the writer stumbled on it the same way.
Midak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #146

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I was wondering the same thing, hopefully others coin in cause that will put me at ease.

I know I did a search beforehand for anything on cleaning RC's and ive never seen anything like this published yet. Ive never seen any racer at my track use this. In fact a fellow rc friend whos into monster trucks sparked my interest in home cleaning with simple green awhile ago. From there I went berserk on my mission to make something that wouldnt rust , but can clean and not harm and not make you feel like your going to die from inhaling.

Only to finally get a blurb from Chris Chianelli on TV saying to only use denatured alcohol on cars. Which hes a pretty knowledgable guy we all know, so outside of him Ive never heard of anything else.

But that engine tool strikes me as a very odd coincidence, but knowing others did know about it does put me at ease more. Cause it sucks when I have to hate something....LOL
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #147
Tech Regular

hi guys,

what do u guys think of nail polish removers in replacement of d-alcohol?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #148
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
hi guys,

I don't like to use any fluids when cleaning my car unless it's absolutely necessary. If you do use d alcohol then I suggest you keep an eye on the bearings. The alcohol will remove the grease and oils from sealed bearings and one-way bearings. I like to use cleaning gum to clean my cars. It takes a little longer but it does a good job and I'm not worried about where the alcohol goes.

Just my .02.

jag
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #149
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use the yellow simple green and motor spray. you need nothing else. plus on my onroad stuff i do use the serpent clay. it wont get your stuff spotless but it will make a big dent on the mess
Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #150
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Quote:
hi guys,

It sounds expensive, but I am not 100% sure. I just used d-alcohol for the first time after using Simple Green for a long time and it worked great!

Let us know how it works if you try...............
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote