Community
Wiki Posts
Search

internal cleaning????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default internal cleaning????

after i take out the piston sleeve con rod and crank shaft (basically take apart the motor) wat do u guys reccomend i use to clean the parts???????? is WD40 good to use?????? or use after run oil............
Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

anyone have any imput?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: internal cleaning????

Originally posted by factory racer
after i take out the piston sleeve con rod and crank shaft (basically take apart the motor) wat do u guys reccomend i use to clean the parts???????? is WD40 good to use?????? or use after run oil............
After run oil is fine for week to week racing. For longer periods of sit up I like ot strip the motors and let them lay in a tray of oil (like castrol, mobil 1, etc).
Old 05-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

no...i always used after run oil i no that but i mean over the winter or even over a day lets say i want to clean the internals of my motor (piston sleeve con rod crank shaft) what would i use to clean it all up.......would WD40 do the job or anything else anyone has had luck with??????????
Old 05-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like to take mine apart every couple of months. What I do is, I wipe all the engine parts with a clean rag. Once I have the bare case(with or without bearings) I clean the whole case with a water based degreaser (simple green works) and a tooth brush. Once its nice and clean I rinse it and soak it with WD-40, I use a lot on the bearings to displace any water left on them. After the WD-40 I let it sit overnight and then I put it together with some ARO. I also reaseal everything

I HATE!! the look of a dirty engin.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

With my engine, after i've removed all the individual parts blast nitro cleaner on all the items i.e. piston, sleeve, case, c/shaft, etc to remove any dirt. After that it's WD40 and a clean rag to rub off any remaining hard to rid dirt. Next is polishing with autosol with a rag (make sure not to leave any of this stuff behind. polish it thoroughly except the piston and inner walls of the sleeve). Then its a generous dash of after run oil on all parts and bearing oil on the engine bearings before assembling them together. I do this as often as i can after every race. If you want your engine to last you should make time and effort in maintaining it.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by factory racer
no...i always used after run oil i no that but i mean over the winter or even over a day lets say i want to clean the internals of my motor (piston sleeve con rod crank shaft) what would i use to clean it all up.......would WD40 do the job or anything else anyone has had luck with??????????
Yeah. For longer breaks like winter etc I let everything lay in oil (Mobile 1, Castrol, etc).
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default cleaning

For excellent removal of any debris boil the parts and allow to soak in heated ethylene based antifreeze,do not use silica base.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default cleaning

PS a lot of phosphate base strong detergent cleansers (high alkili) will discolor aluminum