R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Ahhhh. buggy conversion... right. I should've realized that. That'a actually good since I do have an old nitro buggy that's just collecting dust in a box in my garage. Would be great to put something I already have into use. My boy is still pretty young. He'll only be 8 in Aug. but I don't plan on starting up until next summer anyways. He's still getting the hang of getting around the carpet track [slowly]. I may have to look into a conversion for that ole buggy. Thanks.

I may come out that way on the 30th just to check out the scene.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Ned is spot on in his above reply but here has been a number of racers commenting that due to the different lines and vehicle weights it would be nice to not run together - if entries are sufficient the Midwest series was entertaing the concept of splitting them up , and I'm guessing if that's successful the GLC would follow.

P.S. Lon Burling (Das Mopar on here - gee I love screen names ) who's been the driving force in Toledo for pan car rebirth has his two grandsons running and you can watch them improve over the weeks.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessen View Post
Ahhhh. buggy conversion... right. I should've realized that. That'a actually good since I do have an old nitro buggy that's just collecting dust in a box in my garage. Would be great to put something I already have into use. My boy is still pretty young. He'll only be 8 in Aug. but I don't plan on starting up until next summer anyways. He's still getting the hang of getting around the carpet track [slowly]. I may have to look into a conversion for that ole buggy. Thanks.

I may come out that way on the 30th just to check out the scene.
I may have mislead you with "buggy conversion". Probably should have said "buggy based". Although you could actually convert an off-road buggy to a GT8, I don't know of any available conversion kits. There are significant differences as the GT8 cars have evolved and a "simple" tire and body change may not be very practical.

As Rick said the two classes have been run together and issues have been reported. The MWS has said they will separate the classes in the future. I have not heard what Toledo will do as there are very few GT8's running there regularly.

Definitely check out the Toledo scene and Lon Burling is the MAN in PAN!

An editorial comment: Unfortunately your situation falls into a common problem area in 1/8 on-road. There are really (IMHO!) no good "entry level" classes. (or "sportsman" class) available. 4wd cars are ungodly fast, complex and expensive. The GT8's are very fast on the straights and appear to be slower in the corners than Pan cars, and although the enjoy popularity in some areas the Midwest Series and Toledo have relatively few racers running them. The Pan class seems to be a good option but it does not enjoy widespread popularity and there are very few readily available cars in the US.

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Thanks Cobra for the clarification, and the I insight to "entry level". I was kinda wondering about that. My boy could probably use more indoor racing experience before attempting asphalt. As for me, im sticking to 1:10 scale.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #50
Tech Apprentice

I thought you could register and pay on-line. Does anyone know if that is true.
Shawn B.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is there any chance of getting an electric class or two added to this race next year?
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucatl View Post
I thought you could register and pay on-line. Does anyone know if that is true.
Shawn B.
They've had a few issues with the website...we discussed this at a club meeting today and they should have it fixed promptly. We do have a PayPal account for those who want to pay that way as well.

The track is in excellent shape...got plans for spiffing it up a little more prior to the race. We're anticipating getting the track freshly sealed prior to the GLC (like it isn't smooth as glass already) and traction issues just aren't happening.

Today at the club race, we had 12 entrants between pan and GT, more than that in 1/8 4wd, and that was with spotty weather (sprinkled a few times on us.) It's shaping up to be a pretty good run, but we're hoping people will get their entries in as soon as possible. Plans have been made for extra trash disposal, compressed air, extra port-o-potties, and so forth, but the guys planning trophies and t-shirts will need more definitive numbers as we get closer to the event. For those who've attended before, you know what a good race facillity it is....Hammer & Co put on a very professional and efficient event. Those that haven't attended, be sure to talk to those that have.

I can just about guarantee GT and pan will run seperately, as they did last year, especially since we have more pans running and more GT drivers showing up than last year. I expect practice runs may be mixed (GT and pan running together possibly) but certainly not in the mains and qualifiers. Pan had two mains today all to itself, with the fastest punching out around 22 second laps (nothing short of amazing given no suspension or two speeds.) And kudos to Rick Davis for finally bringing his own scratch built pan to run (with some wicked aluminum machining involved, wish I were that good at it.)

And for the last commenter...I doubt there will be an electric run. I suspect it would depend mostly on the numbers of people coming, if we have the same turnout or better than last year. Keeping that many people organized for practice, quals, tech and mains is a big job, and we've already got 1/8 open, 1/8 masters, pan, GT, and 1/10 sedan. I'll try to remember to ask and post here with an answer, if someone else doesn't beat me to it. Certainly, the quicker we got entries in, the quicker we'd know, but it looks like some people are moving a bit slow (and our website isn't up to par, tho it should be soon.)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

count me in for some 1/8 GT action!!!
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Is there any chance of getting an electric class or two added to this race next year?
We will not be running any Electric at the GLC.

Gt class looks to be pretty big this year. I can also guarantee that the Pan Cars will run separate from the GT's
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #55
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
count me in for some 1/8 GT action!!!
We'll be there. 1/8th scale, GT and maybe Masters.
desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
We will not be running any Electric at the GLC.
Just wondering why it could not be considered for next year?
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm in for 1/8 Open.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Check is in the mail..1/10th
977 EVO2, Matrix tires, Picco power.
Please drive responsibly
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #59
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Just wondering why it could not be considered for next year?
I think the main problem is time. This is a well attended race...some people take their vacation time to attend, and we've got people coming from Texas, California, and overseas. Frankly, I'm glad we've got the club members that we do, with the patience to organize and run such an event, because I'd rather be in hell....with a broken back....trying to eat soup....out of a bottle....with a FORK....than co-ordinate the actions of 100+ people over several days. And it usually goes very well too, I could never do it. We've got all the classes in nitro, and to add anything else into it I think would simply be to overload the event. Now that you've mentioned it, I think it'd be an idea to ask the electric guys if they wanted to host a GLC type event as well, I know Toledo has a thriving electric crowd and could probably host a very nice event, but adding anything more to what is already near max capacity class-wise would just be too much.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi a few of us from Virginia Beach want to come up for a weekend can anyone tell me if track is open for practice on Saturdays before Sundays club races.? And if so what hours are the track open