R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Best Serpent 950 Upgrades.??

Hey guys...this is officially my very fist post on this forum. I have been a member of some other RC forums , but i'm new here..........so if you want to NOOB BASH ME...........feel free.

Onto the question...............I have a new serpent 950 , with a few of the (R) upgrades. But i have been seeing some cool hop up's people have gotten for their 950........and i need to know , where exactly are they getting them? I have seen the Aluminum X brace , upright front shock and hinge pin areas all aluminum as well.

I have been racing 1/8th scale offroad for a while , but want to get my feet wet in some of the onroad stuff this summer. I want to kind of "bullet proof" , or protect anyways , my car the best way i can.

What are some really good hop up's , that are a definate must , AND which hop up's are out there that will help save me a little on some of the slower wrecks. Also...........can you fill me in on what exactly the difference is between the 950 and 950R? Any suggestions here would be great...........thanks for taking the time and reading this NOOB'S post!!

JEFFRO503
JEFFRO503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Smile

My first post also, here you go:

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/pt_serpent.asp

There is a list of differences in this article.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

you can also look for specifice on www.mytsn.com
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by 710baby
you can also look for specifics parts on www.mytsn.com
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Jeff,
I'm thinking you bought most of my parts on E-bay?? .

Anyway. A new hop up that came out is a rear ( adjustable roll center kit for the car ).This Item makes a very big difference in the car for changing tracks. You should contact Serpent USA for the part # and Cost. Hope this helps.

MARK Harrison.
1FastSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Oh Wow!!...small world.........yep.....i think it was you mark that i bought my serpent from. I was trying to find certain parts for my other 950 as well , such as the front aluminum "hinge pin carrier's" ( at least that's what the call them on 1/8th scale off road) , and possibly that X- BRACE in the back by the motor in aluminum as well.

So.....the rear adjustable roll center kit is a good idea? I will check this out for sure. Do they make one for the front as well? And if they do............does it help?

Also.....one more thing , i have read some articles in some of the magazines that say the "front lay down shock kit" is a really good upgrade as well.............do you think this might help as far as handling goes?

As far as going to MYTSN.com site , i check it out regulary , but all the parts they list , they don't stock or sell? Is it more of just an informational tool . so you can get the part numbers you need and then order them somewhere else? I will check into "serpent USA also and see what they have. Thanks guys for all the replies.

And Thank you mark for a great car!! I love it!

JEFFRO503( jeff huber)
Old 05-15-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Tech Regular

whooops!!..my fault..sorry mark...i was thinking that you we're the one i got the actuall car from...but you we're the one who supplied me with the three big parts lots. By the way......thank you , you saved me a bunch of money on those parts lots , and i'm sure that all the parts will come in handy for this summer , ecspeacially for it being my rookie year in "on road".hehehe.

I did check out MYTSN and got to go through the site alot today and figured out how to navigate through that site........HOLY CRAP.....i can't belive how many hop parts you can buy from that place. I saw the "rear center rool" upgrade you can get , and i will be getting that for sure. But the "serpent USA site is still down and under construction.......it isn't working as of yet. anyways.....i found out that RC Mushroom" supplies allot of the parts as well , so i might be getting some stuff from there too. thanks again for all the info.

JEFFRO503
Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

You can also find those parts at Fast N Furious RC 954-731-7223. The've got a bigger supply than serpent in most cases.
viperrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Default Receiver location

JEFFRO503,

Are you running your receiver in the stock location, or on the right side of the car?
HPIRACER310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Actually i haven't even mounted a reciever on either car yet. is there a better position to mount it than what it says in the book? I'm getting ready here in the next couple weeks to go try out the onroad stuff but to this day , i haven't ran either car. Just yesterday i went and picked up my "HUDY all in one set up station" for the 1/8th scale. I got the full "coupe de' gra" with the brief case and all...hehehe. it was $300.00 but i shouldn't ever have to buy another one , and i know that set on these cars is really important.

Fill me in on where i should mount the reciever.......any help or advice from anyone would be really good since i'm a newbie at this onroad stuff. thanks again guys.

JEFFRO503
Old 05-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Best hop up for a 950 is an MRX4

Sorry I just couldnt help myself. There is always heaps of 950 bits on Ebay, they seem to be a pretty sharp car without too many hop ups.
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by JEFFRO503
Actually i haven't even mounted a reciever on either car yet. is there a better position to mount it than what it says in the book? I'm getting ready here in the next couple weeks to go try out the onroad stuff but to this day , i haven't ran either car. Just yesterday i went and picked up my "HUDY all in one set up station" for the 1/8th scale. I got the full "coupe de' gra" with the brief case and all...hehehe. it was $300.00 but i shouldn't ever have to buy another one , and i know that set on these cars is really important.

Fill me in on where i should mount the reciever.......any help or advice from anyone would be really good since i'm a newbie at this onroad stuff. thanks again guys.

JEFFRO503
Actually I was going to ask you the same thing. I just bought my first 950r a few weeks ago. Its all done, going to be breaking in the engine sometime this week. Presently, I have the receiver in the stock location. I've read reports that glitching will occour with the receiver mounted in the stock location. Many have chosen to custom mount it on the right side of the car... away from the front pully assembly and exhaust. I've also read somewhere on mytsn of racers using a wire to ground the upper deck to the chassis. I bought the aluminum radio tray x-brace 902156, which is my only upgrade part so far. Hopefully this accomplishes the same thing.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Default receiver mounting psoition

I used a 710 receiver case and mounted it on the right side with a small graphite bracket that took about 10 minutes to make.
I have the car on ebay right now and there is a pic of the receiver mount on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
r1sportbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Default anti roll bar

Is the rear adjustable Anti-roll bar #909335 worth buying?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:19 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by soc123_au
Best hop up for a 950 is an MRX4

Sorry I just couldnt help myself. There is always heaps of 950 bits on Ebay, they seem to be a pretty sharp car without too many hop ups.
I was tempted to write that joke myself.... It took a while before anyone did actually!