R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Cost to design a kit?

Out of curiousity. When a company has an engineer (s) design a 1/8 scale racer or touring car how much money is invested into the car before it actually goes into production?

My guess is $100,000.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
ddesros2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Windsor, Canada-eh!!
Posts: 403
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

This is a very good question.

I'm a design engineer for a major automotive supplier and I know how much work is involved in getting a design to implementation.

The processes will be definately be less restrictive than automotive design (FMVSS, Customer design specs, WSS, etc...) however it will still require a good investment to get it done.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
teammpp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 894
Default Re: Cost to design a kit?

Quote:
Originally posted by performula
Out of curiousity. When a company has an engineer (s) design a 1/8 scale racer or touring car how much money is invested into the car before it actually goes into production?

My guess is $100,000.
Depends on many factors. If you have a competent designer who can get the prototype design in the ballpark straight off the board and you have access to your own workshop etc you could make a prototype competitive for around $5k.

But if you have to source another company to make the parts etc or the design is poor then it could amount to anything up to $200k
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,844
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

You also need a competent machinist to make you the prototype, , right PE?
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

This question is unanswerable. 5k? Where did you get that number. It could be free if you do it right, it could cost tons if you go crazy and have to beat everyone.

Again this question is unanswerable. If you wanted a real answer you would have to get real specific and our answers would be almost as if we were working for you.

Not only that we are incompentent people who really probably know nothing of kit making. There are major rc kit companies and thats for a reason. Cause not everyone can do it.

But hay there can be a small operation and im sure you can create great success if your product is good.

But do you think someone will spend 250 on your kit vs an r40. Which is really cheap for the kind of kit it is. I highly doubt you could develop a chassis even close to the r40 for that price within 5 years.

Thats at least more in perspective. But seriously this is just one of those questions in which you need to have the answer. It can cost whatever, you need to look into your own budget and see what can be done.

Its not about what it costs. Like you can drive into a rc-donalds and order yourself an rc chassis design with a side order of suspension tweaking. It could range anywhere from 1 dollar to 1 million. All kinda depending on who you get to do this.

Basically whats his education and background. Did he just build the chassis for last years top car. Then you can bet that guy is going to charge you the most. Granted he can do freelance work and isnt under a contract that he cant do outside work, given he might give away ideas that a certain company is using to get an edge over another.

But good luck.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Artificial-I
This question is unanswerable. 5k? Where did you get that number. It could be free if you do it right, it could cost tons if you go crazy and have to beat everyone.

Again this question is unanswerable. If you wanted a real answer you would have to get real specific and our answers would be almost as if we were working for you.

Not only that we are incompentent people who really probably know nothing of kit making. There are major rc kit companies and thats for a reason. Cause not everyone can do it.

But hay there can be a small operation and im sure you can create great success if your product is good.

But do you think someone will spend 250 on your kit vs an r40. Which is really cheap for the kind of kit it is. I highly doubt you could develop a chassis even close to the r40 for that price within 5 years.

Thats at least more in perspective. But seriously this is just one of those questions in which you need to have the answer. It can cost whatever, you need to look into your own budget and see what can be done.

Its not about what it costs. Like you can drive into a rc-donalds and order yourself an rc chassis design with a side order of suspension tweaking. It could range anywhere from 1 dollar to 1 million. All kinda depending on who you get to do this.

Basically whats his education and background. Did he just build the chassis for last years top car. Then you can bet that guy is going to charge you the most. Granted he can do freelance work and isnt under a contract that he cant do outside work, given he might give away ideas that a certain company is using to get an edge over another.

But good luck.
I was not asking for a free lunch, I was asking an opinion or fact; if known. I did not ask someone to give me fictious names for a car or hand over their CAD templates. Cost was only the question and I gave my opinion on cost of the average car.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

I read an article once that claimed that the NTC3 prototype was worth $50K. The figure came from a source inside AE so it may be close............
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
B
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,159
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

mmm
lol
i think that is a much for a prototype
since many of the concepts are already proven and there for one to base the design on, the engineers didnt have to start entirely from scratch.

I am a mechanical engineer, and i think car design on an RC car shouldnt cost that much. but hey, i would like to think they really did spend that much money so that we can have better cars
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by performula
I was not asking for a free lunch, I was asking an opinion or fact; if known. I did not ask someone to give me fictious names for a car or hand over their CAD templates. Cost was only the question and I gave my opinion on cost of the average car.
I think you misinterpreted me when you saw I said. We should be working for on it with answering questions.

What I meant was, asking outside people how much it will cost to build a kit and getting any sort of detailed info. Its just not going to be correct and that info would be better asked to the actual employees since thats where your real budget numbers will be found.

Im just saying if "you" want to do this. This is maybe I probably went wrong in thinking that you want to do this.

I was saying its impossible to find a cost. As its based on how good you want to be and many other factors.

This is what real companies go through and even the 50,000 dollar number is really irrelevant because your not ae. They might have a partnership with a certain platics company, metal cutting company , cnc maching company and so on. They might have the top engineer for this or that and for you to best them or come out with a comparble kit you might have to triple or even quadruple that number.

Or you could just make a kit for maybe 1000 dollars max yourself and have it out by the end of the year.

Im just saying this is really unanswerable. But the 50,000 dollar info dig was definently helpful. But who knows what that would really truly cost someone else. That could be budget based for ae, or that could be top dollar exspensive and more than they wanted.....
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

You're in my book!
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by performula
You're in my book!
BTW did you goto the hpi challenge in Orlando?
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:26 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

No, I am in Atlanta right now and had plans to go to the Tamiya Cup in Georgia, but I opted out since it was raining.

I wish I did go to the HPI C.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Florida
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Artificial-I
BTW did you goto the hpi challenge in Orlando?
when and where in orlando is the hpi challenge?
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Just passed. Was at superior hobbies.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Much Does it Really Cost yyhayyim Chat Lounge 31 02-16-2007 06:56 PM
Web Design/Ecommece Design MaxxFusion Web Links 1 08-03-2005 08:19 AM
IronCAD Design Software for SALE - Design your own parts! morosis Other Items: For Sale/Trade or Wanted to Buy 5 09-03-2003 08:41 PM
What would it cost to have somebody .. chorner Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography 7 08-07-2003 12:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:11 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net