R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I think 1/8 bodies are fascinating with their functionality as a diffuser/wing over realism.. an rc car doesnt have to be realistic? it's about the racing in 8th.

You need that shell to go that fast! it's all relative.. there are plenty of realism classes none go as quick as 8th though do they?
__________________
Serpent 977 Evo | Novarossi Engines | Racing Experience Fuel | Xpert-RC Servos | Xtreme Tyres | Bitty Design Body Shells |
http://answer-rc.com/en/ - Answer RC supported driver.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I think 1/8 bodies are fascinating with their functionality as a diffuser/wing over realism.. an rc car doesnt have to be realistic? it's about the racing in 8th.

You need that shell to go that fast! it's all relative.. there are plenty of realism classes none go as quick as 8th though do they?
As far as I know, there isn't a "realistic" body class that goes as fast as 8th scale pan car. If these guys want "realism", then they should go buy a Miata, Rx7, or older BMW 325 and race SCCA here in the US or get a Mclaren, Ferrari, or Porsche and race in the LeMans series.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #33
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Or stop playing with toy cars and go buy a Go-Kart! can't get any more realistic than that!

When you think about a small object travelling fast such as an RC car, gravity has less of an effect on it due to it's smaller mass and other forces become more prevalent over it. such as adhesion! hence why traction additives work so well on RC cars!

When a small object moves fast through the air it cannot use an aerofoil for instance as the air cannot simply move oscillate that fast.

An exampe is a fly, it's actually closer to swimming through air than flying through it , when people talk about using "scale" wings on small RC cars they're not going to do anything the whole effect of a wing is the low pressure generated by air passing at a different speeds over each side either creating lift or negative lift.

So when you look at an 8th scale body which is acting as a huge air scoop, with side dams and a gurney strip on the rear it's using every known trick in the book that works at that size to generate aerodynamic down force.

We wanted more grip as racers and we got it, so what's the problem? these bodies are NOT copies of bigger cars for a start YOU DONT SIT INSIDE IT! it's an RC car and 8th scales function is to go fast.

The amount of disrespect that has been thrown at Dale in this thread has shocked me, he provides the best bodies for pretty much every class of rc racing going.

Thoroughly unimpressed with some people here.

Rant over flame me!
__________________
Serpent 977 Evo | Novarossi Engines | Racing Experience Fuel | Xpert-RC Servos | Xtreme Tyres | Bitty Design Body Shells |
http://answer-rc.com/en/ - Answer RC supported driver.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #34
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,282
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

I doe believe a more realistic body is more attractive for the spectators. And beside that, what is wrong with less grip and/or speed? It brings back more the need finding a good setup and to deal with a handycap all drivers are facing.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #35
Tech Elite
 
Pooh2's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere here on Earth
Posts: 2,518
Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default

I believe we're in the final days of 8scale on road racing. These NEW stupid rules will kill the class sooner or later. Makes me not even want to spend my money on it anymore.!!! The bodies changing will give racers more reasons to find ways to sauce their tires. EFRA should not stand in the way a EVOLUTION! What ever does not EVOLVE dies!!! Law of nature!
__________________
MUGEN MRX5/CONTACT TIRES/DESOTO RACING/TEAM LOGIC


"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic
 
ogreasurada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SZ-China
Posts: 848
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

They might as well require fitting a human being inside a RC car if they want so much "realism".
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #37
Tech Addict
 
Aza088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 684
Default

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Or stop playing with toy cars and go buy a Go-Kart! can't get any more realistic than that!

When you think about a small object travelling fast such as an RC car, gravity has less of an effect on it due to it's smaller mass and other forces become more prevalent over it. such as adhesion! hence why traction additives work so well on RC cars!

When a small object moves fast through the air it cannot use an aerofoil for instance as the air cannot simply move oscillate that fast.

An exampe is a fly, it's actually closer to swimming through air than flying through it , when people talk about using "scale" wings on small RC cars they're not going to do anything the whole effect of a wing is the low pressure generated by air passing at a different speeds over each side either creating lift or negative lift.

So when you look at an 8th scale body which is acting as a huge air scoop, with side dams and a gurney strip on the rear it's using every known trick in the book that works at that size to generate aerodynamic down force.

We wanted more grip as racers and we got it, so what's the problem? these bodies are NOT copies of bigger cars for a start YOU DONT SIT INSIDE IT! it's an RC car and 8th scales function is to go fast.

The amount of disrespect that has been thrown at Dale in this thread has shocked me, he provides the best bodies for pretty much every class of rc racing going.

Thoroughly unimpressed with some people here.

Rant over flame me!
__________________
Shepherd | Brilliant RC | Matrix | Maxima | Xceed | KoPropo
www.bluerc.net
www.hobbyexpress.com.au
www.hootrc.com.au
Aza088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 559
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I doe believe a more realistic body is more attractive for the spectators. And beside that, what is wrong with less grip and/or speed? It brings back more the need finding a good setup and to deal with a handycap all drivers are facing.
any friends I have had come out to watch not once have they ever said....

"man those dont look real"
__________________
Desoto Racing, Serpent America, Novarossi, KoPropo, Xceed.
2011, 2013, 2 Time Midwest Series 1/8th Open, Champion
2011 Byrons onroad 1/8th Open 3rd
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #39
Tech Fanatic
 
mcsquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Live at work, play in Toledo, OH
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

All I have to say is that it is 1/8 scale. As long as I have been racing on-road, 1/8 scale was the fastest drivers going as fast as possible. To me there is nothing like the sound of a 1/8 going through a sweeper full throttle so fast that the engine is bogged down and not traction rolling OVER a 4’ fence. True the bodies don’t look real, but they go real fast!

When I started racing sedans, when the class first was starting, the bodies looked realistic. Now they go a lot faster, due to chassis improvements and more functional bodies, but I don’t think they look as ‘real’ as the first ones.
Now look at the latest class that is trying to get started, the first GT bodies look very realistic, but it won’t be long before they start to change. It’s the nature of this hobby, we want to go as fast or faster as we can and until “someone” says that the bodies have to look a certain way, we are going to get faster bodies that will look not as realistic.

It isn’t the manufacturer‘s fault, they are supplying us what the masses want so they can stay in business. And I for one think Dale has been making great bodies for longer than I have been in the hobby. OK, I’m off my soap box and I am wearing my Nomex underwear so flame away… and yes it is itchy.
__________________
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #40
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I doe believe a more realistic body is more attractive for the spectators. And beside that, what is wrong with less grip and/or speed? It brings back more the need finding a good setup and to deal with a handycap all drivers are facing.
The speed of the cars is more attractive to the spectators than whether or not the bodies look "real". I have attended and participated in tons of r/c races over the years and I have never heard a spectator ask why these car bodies don't mimic real cars. I get asked by passing spectators at races about how fast do they go or told that they can't believe the guys running these cars can handle them like they do at those speeds. Sometimes I get asked about the paint jobs (how they are done, who does them, or that they look cool design-wise) but never about why don't these cars look like a Porsche, Ferrari, or Mclaren.

Now, as far as what is wrong with a little less grip and speed, have you ever run an 8th scale pan car under those conditions? I have and it is not fun. These cars are way more than a handful and hard enough at times to keep them under control. What we don't want is to put marshalls and spectator in danger of a car flying out of control due to bad aerodynamics of a "realistic" body.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #41
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Or stop playing with toy cars and go buy a Go-Kart! can't get any more realistic than that!

When you think about a small object travelling fast such as an RC car, gravity has less of an effect on it due to it's smaller mass and other forces become more prevalent over it. such as adhesion! hence why traction additives work so well on RC cars!

When a small object moves fast through the air it cannot use an aerofoil for instance as the air cannot simply move oscillate that fast.

An exampe is a fly, it's actually closer to swimming through air than flying through it , when people talk about using "scale" wings on small RC cars they're not going to do anything the whole effect of a wing is the low pressure generated by air passing at a different speeds over each side either creating lift or negative lift.

So when you look at an 8th scale body which is acting as a huge air scoop, with side dams and a gurney strip on the rear it's using every known trick in the book that works at that size to generate aerodynamic down force.

We wanted more grip as racers and we got it, so what's the problem? these bodies are NOT copies of bigger cars for a start YOU DONT SIT INSIDE IT! it's an RC car and 8th scales function is to go fast.

The amount of disrespect that has been thrown at Dale in this thread has shocked me, he provides the best bodies for pretty much every class of rc racing going.

Thoroughly unimpressed with some people here.

Rant over flame me!
+1

Like you, I don't understand why Dale gets slammed like he does on the forums at times. In my conversation with him, he is a really nice gentleman that is trying his best to provide r/c racers the best, aerodynamic bodies that he can design. He takes a lot of time and puts a lot of effort into the designs he creates and if it where not for guys like him, we would be running the hard model plastic bodies that Tamiya use to offer on their earlier kits (before lexan was used), whining about the $50+ we would have to keep spending after smashing up one of those bodies.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #42
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

...think there was only one guy slamming.......i appreciate the idea that the bodies keep up technology wise with the current chassis.........Dale does a good job with that........the fast guys will win with the latest body.....or a 10 year old design......i like the new bodies...just not the ULTRA tiny cockpits......might as well just make a huge wedge with huge sidedams if all out speed is the goal....just would be nice if there was a bigger market for more realistic bodies....(for slow hacks like me that like pan cars).....market forces cant be controlled...they are what they are....
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #43
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
...think there was only one guy slamming.......i appreciate the idea that the bodies keep up technology wise with the current chassis.........Dale does a good job with that........the fast guys will win with the latest body.....or a 10 year old design......i like the new bodies...just not the ULTRA tiny cockpits......might as well just make a huge wedge with huge sidedams if all out speed is the goal....just would be nice if there was a bigger market for more realistic bodies....(for slow hacks like me that like pan cars).....market forces cant be controlled...they are what they are....
A few years ago, there used to be touring car bodies produced for 8th scale pan cars. The market (racers) dictated that better handling and higher speed were wanted, thus that segment of the market completely disappeared. I know that Motonica has an 8th scale touring car body available but I have yet to see one on a car outside of their website. I would love to see a revival of a touring car class with these cars, but that is nothing but a pipe dream....................
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #44
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I really dont understand the people that want the bodies to look "realistic". The Audi R18 is not realistic at all, you dont see them drive them on the street by civilians, do you? They are based on a class of race cars on which the only resemblance to a "real" car is the fact that they have 4 tires, and engine and a steering wheel and pedals, thats it. The rest of them is made purely to go as fast as possible, same as out 1/8th cars. What was "real" about the CanAm cars in the 70s? They were moving labs...
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #45
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I really dont understand the people that want the bodies to look "realistic". The Audi R18 is not realistic at all, you dont see them drive them on the street by civilians, do you? They are based on a class of race cars on which the only resemblance to a "real" car is the fact that they have 4 tires, and engine and a steering wheel and pedals, thats it. The rest of them is made purely to go as fast as possible, same as out 1/8th cars. What was "real" about the CanAm cars in the 70s? They were moving labs...
Funny you say this (which we are in total agreement). I occasionally watch LeMans races when I can. One of the classes that I pay very close attention is the prototype class. And, it is not due to their "realistic" look because you don't see any cars on the road that even remotely resembling them. I like watching them because of their speed and the daredevil attitudes that the drivers of those cars have (doing things and making passes no sane racer would ever try).

Everyone forgets that NASCAR has morphed from using real cars (that you could buy off the showroom floor back from the early days until the 1980s and we called them Stock cars) to a universal body design with realistic stickers of the 1990s and 2000s (a body design that no Ford, Chevy, and eventually Dodge uses in the civilian market; also where can you find a 2-door Impala, Fusion, or Charger?), now morphing to a more realistic-looking car but still not the real thing (with this new Gen 6 design). In all honesty, we watch racing for the thrill of speed and spectacular crashes, not for how real the cars look.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:12 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net