Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
One mean DM-1 1/7, anything I'm missing in my plans? >

One mean DM-1 1/7, anything I'm missing in my plans?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One mean DM-1 1/7, anything I'm missing in my plans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool One mean DM-1 1/7, anything I'm missing in my plans?

So, my plan is simple. Build one mean ass DM-1, simple weight reduction is my first step. I will not be racing this car, it's being built for cornering and speed, just a cool basher. It doesnt have to go 100mph, but needs to be in the 60-70mph range, get there quick and stop quick, and looking good while doing it. This is the nitro version.

Step One: Weight reduction

1. Ceramic bearing kit from Acer
2. All CNC parts such as front/rear shock holders, Front/rear CNC braces
3. So far I have about $200 in titanium screws
4. JLR aluminum clutch/flywheel kit
5. Thankfully, my skills will allow me to built any flat carbon fiber pieces. I have 9 yards of red/black 3K Carbon Fiber/Kevlar twill material that I'm going to build the chassis, radio tray, front plate, servo saver connecting plate, and any other flat part I can find on the car. Should look pretty sick.
6. LiPo battery pack, hopefully lighter than 4 AA's.

Suspension Mods are Step Two, Power mods are Step Three, and anodizing/cosmetic mods is Step Four.

Is there any significant weight factors I am missing?

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by GregUnd; 02-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default fast car!

Efficient brakes will help, regardless of the weight,
CNC rotor and metallic brake pads.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

So I got in all the titanium screws, ceramic bearings, CNC shock holders and braces. I will be posting all of my weight data in case anyone is interested. By feel, I can tell you that the titanium screws from Acer are of outstanding quality and have a very noticable difference in weight(much lighter than factory).

My car stock and as it sits with no engine and anything attached to the engine including pipe, header, air filter, clutch, clutch bell, etc weights in at 3,021 grams with no fuel. This is including the body posts and body pins and 4 AA batteries.

Today I'm begining the swapping of aftermarket parts and screws, I'll be keeping detailed logs and post my information here. I am replacing every screw on the car except for a select few just because Acer didnt have them, which are:
(6) 4x16 Hex
(4) 4x35 Hex
(4)3x25 Cap
(2) M3x20L

Every other screw will be replaced.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just a quick update, I've been randomly weighing sets of screws and so far, the titanium screws have been no less than 40% lighter than factory screws. Even if this weight reduction has little effect on performance, it has a great effect on the coolness factor.