Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Pls help me with my engine / heat sink >

Pls help me with my engine / heat sink

Pls help me with my engine / heat sink

Old 04-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Default Pls help me with my engine / heat sink

Hi all ,

This is gonna sound real bad. I have got a new engine for not even a month, and i think i`ve screwed it up.

first was to be running without an air filter ( already sorted out ).

The thing now is, it`s constantly leaking from the glow plug area. My glow plug is not sitting square to the engine anymore . I must have forced it in the wrong way.

Was adviced to change a new engine, but i`m not willing to do this. it`s a new engine.

have tried to remove the heatsink but it`s stuck.

Pls, can anyone help me with some options besides changing the heatsink? as i`ve heard, due to over screwing i might have caused aluminum flakes to go into the engine.

Pls help me !!

Thanks alot.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

please tell me you havent used any threadlock for the screws in the heatsink area.........and why wouldnt you be using an airfilter?????? mayb you stripped the button head underneath the heat sink where the glowplug screws into????? and hopfully you didnt screw up the internals of the motor....good luck budd
Old 04-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

i didn`t use any threadlock for screws in the heat sink area. was running w/o the air filter cause it came out after a flip. .

is there anything i can do?
Old 04-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Move to electric powered cars
hehe

Always cable tie that filter on and ALWAYS use a oiled filter (otherwise dirt does still get in)

I assume you have cross-threaded the glowplug in the button. And your saying the screws holding down the heatsink are also stuck or did you remove them ok?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

There's really not much you can do if you crossthreaded the plug that bad. Could try running a tap through it if you get it off, but a new head is probably in order. What motor is it anyhow?

The head bolts, did you strip them or they just really tight? I usually use an allen wrench and grab the top with a pair of pliers so that the L shape of the wrench is in the jaws. Then you can get the force needed to break them loose. If you have a stripped one, if you get three removed, the last one will usually loosen itself up enough to get out.

Good luck. And zip tie the air filter always.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jbrow1
I usually use an allen wrench and grab the top with a pair of pliers so that the L shape of the wrench is in the jaws. Then you can get the force needed to break them loose. If you have a stripped one, if you get three removed, the last one will usually loosen itself up enough to get out.
Good luck. And zip tie the air filter always. [/B]
I did that once and snapped the allen wrench before it broke loose....
Old 04-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Bit of heat always seems to help.....
Old 04-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by onnetz
I did that once and snapped the allen wrench before it broke loose....
My buddy did that too. It broke just right at the end of the wrench and it was stuck in the bolthead. lol I think we just cut the bolt then with a dremel. There was enough between the head and the block to leave enough to get it out with needle nose pliers afterwards. I've never had that happen to me though. Lucky I suppose.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

My buddy did that too. It broke just right at the end of the wrench and it was stuck in the bolthead. lol I think we just cut the bolt then with a dremel. There was enough between the head and the block to leave enough to get it out with needle nose pliers afterwards. I've never had that happen to me though. Lucky I suppose.
thats exactly where mine broke, and got stuck as well.....

thats what I get for using cheap tools..... hobbico set of allen wrenches..
Old 04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

LMAO!!! That's exactly what he was using. They make getting the bolt in easy enough, but I won't tighten up a bolt with a hobbico wrench. They either strip, or the ball on the end breaks off.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

the screws on the bolthead arn`t stripped as i`ve never taken them out before.

Engine`s the stock FW05`s.

and yeah think i`ll have to zip-tie my filter from now on.

is there no other way other than to get a new cooling head or engine? i don`t think there`ll be much difference in pricing.

are there alternatives i can do? like maybe a way to seal up that air leaking part?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Well, you could try using an extra copper washer on the glow plug. That would let it have more soft metal to conform to the head surface. Give that a try. Will lower your compression a tiny bit, but nothing you'll ever notice.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

alright, thanks, i`ll try that.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

There's really not much you can do if you crossthreaded the plug that bad. Could try running a tap through it if you get it off, but a new head is probably in order. What motor is it anyhow?

The head bolts, did you strip them or they just really tight? I usually use an allen wrench and grab the top with a pair of pliers so that the L shape of the wrench is in the jaws. Then you can get the force needed to break them loose. If you have a stripped one, if you get three removed, the last one will usually loosen itself up enough to get out.

Good luck. And zip tie the air filter always.
My dad tried the vise grips on an allen wrench to tighten the head bolts...stripped out the bolt...let's not have anyone here try that!

I originally didn't ziptie the filter on, nobody told me to do it, and the manual for my npede definitely didn't. Then I used adhesives...first windshield adhesive, nope, that melts and gets in the engine...then silicone....then discovered that zipties work good.
Anyway...I got a lot of dirt in the engine and completely trashed it within one and a half gallons. Hopefully you'll still get more life out of yours.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Phroziac
My dad tried the vise grips on an allen wrench to tighten the head bolts...stripped out the bolt...let's not have anyone here try that!

Anyway...I got a lot of dirt in the engine and completely trashed it within one and a half gallons. Hopefully you'll still get more life out of yours.
As for pliers and allen wrench, I still think it's a good way of doing it. I did suggest it to loosen the bolts though.. If you do it and are careful, you can see the allen wrench start to twist in the middle. It's like torquing bolts in a real motor, you just have to feel it. I don't use worn wrenches either. They don't have to be super tight anyways, as they will tighten up as you run the motor. No, I'm not saying just snug em up either.

As for toasting a motor that early, it's common. I've heard from plenty of knowledgeable guys that newbies should just chalk their first motor up to a short lifespan. It's just a learning to tune and what to do/not to do thing. Although todays motors are much better than say ten years ago in my opinion. Longer lasting and way easier to tune.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.