R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tnt2671
Thumbs up 200mm cars

been out of nitro on road for some time and have decided to build up a new car for spring time , i have been doing some research on whats out there and there is lots of choices , capricorn , shepard , serpent ( which was the last car i had a long time ago ), hb r10 , X-ray , mugen , kyosho , magic ? looking for a kit that comes well equipt out of the box i dont want to get into the neverending list of "optional parts" and have to replace everything on the car w/ option parts to get it were it needs to be. ease of working on / durability i know some are easier than others when it comes down to rebuilds and routine maint and durability. parts availability doesnt seem like to much of a problem for most of the manufacturers as i have to order online for lots of my stuff now but if there are some out there that cannot be had or always come from overseas that would be an issue for sure. i will add this i'm not trying to make this a flaming post car vs car simply just trying to get some input on what dollar for dollar is the best option out there. thanks in advance for any info you guys might have

Last edited by tnt2671; 02-03-2013 at 10:43 PM.
tnt2671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running my NT1 2012spec box stock form for over 20 hours of track time. The chassis is simple to maintain and survive several nasty crashes, only broke two rear camber link plastic heads so far. Setup is easy to work on and the car is just as fast as other platform tho I do feel the chassis is reaching its limit earlier at high speed conditions than other chassis (maybe due to the stock form). Anyways, for this level and price range you will not go wrong with any brand and chassis, just pick the one that has the best parts support at your area. Just my 2cents.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I as well after being first year back i bought a xray nt1 seeing that it had been a long layoff for myself and most of the locals are running it so help, emergency parts and tips where easy to get i would reccomend the most popular car in your area regardless of brand because accidents do happen

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
HHH
Tech Regular

You can't beat xray for quality parts and clear instructions. Check out the instruction manuals online. Many are not very user friendly.
HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Hope this can help u in your research...
http://slowbunnyrc.blogspot.com/2013...count.html?m=0
slowbunnyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Tech Regular

its been said already, but here`s my opinion:

Look at where you race what they use, because there you can get help or the part when shit happens on the track.
Look at the factory support with setup sheets and booklets.( xray is by far the trendsetter here).
Look at prices for parts and availability.

Have fun.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I chose the Xray platform due to the support at the track from other drivers, parts easy to get ahold of, and proven race heritage. I have been happy with my kit from day one! you dont need all the hop up parts to go fast but they do have the pro which comes with alot of the popular option parts included. Bottom line Xray NT1 yu cant go wrong!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends entirely on which car you can get parts support for at your local track, no point having a car you have to wait 2 weeks to get a belt for if you snap it.

You want one where someone is carrying them for you at the track so you only have to invest into the car not an entourage of spares.

The Serpent cars are very good and don't generally require any hop-ups as they come fully race spec'd but they so release cars often, so expect to be upgrading within 2-4 years.

Or you can go down the Xray route with the NT1 which is a development car which is hop-up mania if you want, new updates every 12 months, but there are drivers who still run the 2008 NT1 and are competitive with it.. You don't need all the bling to be fast!

Visit your local track and see what people are running there first would be the best idea.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Depends entirely on which car you can get parts support for at your local track, no point having a car you have to wait 2 weeks to get a belt for if you snap it.

You want one where someone is carrying them for you at the track so you only have to invest into the car not an entourage of spares.

The Serpent cars are very good and don't generally require any hop-ups as they come fully race spec'd but they so release cars often, so expect to be upgrading within 2-4 years.

Or you can go down the Xray route with the NT1 which is a development car which is hop-up mania if you want, new updates every 12 months, but there are drivers who still run the 2008 NT1 and are competitive with it.. You don't need all the bling to be fast!

Visit your local track and see what people are running there first would be the best idea.
both serpent and xray have very good local hobby shop support as well as hpi /hotbodies so i think it will come down to these three , they all seem to be priced about the same
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Serpent JUST came out with a new car, which means it will be a couple of years before they have another one. Xray is believed to be coming out with a new car, although the NT1 is still winning. Serpent is a very good value because it comes with all the hopups in the box. Id get a Serpent right now if support is not an issue.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt2671 View Post
been out of nitro on road for some time and have decided to build up a new car for spring time , i have been doing some research on whats out there and there is lots of choices , capricorn , shepard , serpent ( which was the last car i had a long time ago ), hb r10 , X-ray , mugen , kyosho , magic ? looking for a kit that comes well equipt out of the box i dont want to get into the neverending list of "optional parts" and have to replace everything on the car w/ option parts to get it were it needs to be. ease of working on / durability i know some are easier than others when it comes down to rebuilds and routine maint and durability. parts availability doesnt seem like to much of a problem for most of the manufacturers as i have to order online for lots of my stuff now but if there are some out there that cannot be had or always come from overseas that would be an issue for sure. i will add this i'm not trying to make this a flaming post car vs car simply just trying to get some input on what dollar for dollar is the best option out there. thanks in advance for any info you guys might have
My list of preference based on performance/durability/parts

1 - XRAY NT1 -> Best overall for anyone learning to the world champs
2 - HPI R10 I put this here b/c parts are cheap but hard to come across. Also, a close friend who is fast on the national level built one and set a personal record on his home track with the car out of the box
3 - Capricorn CO-1/CO-2 -> extremely fast and light car but durability is lacking and parts are not cheap
4 - Serpent 747 -> a good overall car but only seems like the factory guys can make the car fast and local guys starting out struggle longer
5 - Shepard V10/V11 -> another good car with easily accessible parts but the durability is lacking a bit and performance is not quite there
6 - KM HK1 -> The world champs car (Meen V)!!! it is a durable car but support is AWFUL, better know how to setup a car by yourself real well and wait weeks for parts, b/c there is no local support really in the U.S. for KM
7 - Mugen MTX5 -> To many bugs, but when the car is on, its fast
8 - Kyosho Anything in on-road

Just my 2 cents....Talk to the local guys and see what they are running, that is probably the best advice to start out with.

Last edited by esckalayd; 02-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Serpent 747 and there are NO issues with the cars drivability out the box.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
My list of preference based on performance/durability/parts

1 - XRAY NT1 -> Best overall for anyone learning to the world champs
2 - HPI R10 I put this here b/c parts are cheap but hard to come across. Also, a close friend who is fast on the national level built one and set a personal record on his home track with the car out of the box
3 - Capricorn CO-1/CO-2 -> extremely fast and light car but durability is lacking and parts are not cheap
4 - Serpent 747 -> a good overall car but only seems like the factory guys can make the car fast and local guys starting out struggle longer
5 - Shepard V10/V11 -> another good car with easily accessible parts but the durability is lacking a bit and performance is not quite there
6 - Mugen MTX5 -> To many bugs, but when the car is on, its fast
7 - Kyosho Anything in on-road

Just my 2 cents....Talk to the local guys and see what they are running, that is probably the best advice to start out with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
Serpent 747 and there are NO issues with the cars drivability out the box.
Thanks guys! I actually am lucky , going to be in fla this weekend so going to be able to check out the winter nats on fri or Saturday maybe ill find some deals on something good while I'm there
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt2671 View Post
Thanks guys! I actually am lucky , going to be in fla this weekend so going to be able to check out the winter nats on fri or Saturday maybe ill find some deals on something good while I'm there
That is great news...come see some of the best drivers in the world at the famous "FORT". You will be there this Friday or next? This Friday is the state race leading into the Winter Nats which is next week (12th-16th). Any questions you have will be answered there. I think every major manufacturer will be in attendance with at least a factory driver or highly skilled team driver, except Kyosho (at least in sedan).
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
That is great news...come see some of the best drivers in the world at the famous "FORT". You will be there this Friday or next? This Friday is the state race leading into the Winter Nats which is next week (12th-16th). Any questions you have will be answered there. I think every major manufacturer will be in attendance with at least a factory driver or highly skilled team driver, except Kyosho (at least in sedan).
ill be there for the national weekend, pretty stoked!