R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default inferno gt transmission upgrade

i purchased a used inferno gt that kept eating 2nd gear ,so i purchased the upgrated transmission Kyosho part # IGW008 ,however the tranny is a lil longer so my front dogbone will not fit . It came with a longer dogbone which is the exact length as the rear Is there something that i am overlooking ? the discription of the part does say GT/GT2
jamdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If its for the short GT here is the part # u need KYOIFW12Z
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

thanx speedy 1 ,i found out later after i posted the message, The problem now is finding that part ,i checked out a couple of sites but no luck,i am thinking of cutting the driveshaft and rewelding it.Can you tell me where you got yours?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamdude View Post
thanx speedy 1 ,i found out later after i posted the message, The problem now is finding that part ,i checked out a couple of sites but no luck,i am thinking of cutting the driveshaft and rewelding it.Can you tell me where you got yours?
That 12z is great.........it's a CDV but on the GT1 (short chassis) what you are after in a 'dogbone' is an HPI 78mm dogbone for the 'shorter' replacement........with the standard 'cups' unless you change to the 'preferred' CVD that *1SPEEDY mentioned. Don't fail to pull the 'diff' to have access to being able to get 'proper lash' for the CVD. You can't do that without being able to take 'the slack out' before tightening the cup on the CVD. Don't forget 'locktiite' on the set screw of the CVD..........*1SPEEDY can kick my ass so I won't 'elaborate' on why that's important.......

Last edited by scary_jerry; 01-26-2013 at 08:56 PM.
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

good thing hpi still sells various size dogbones lol
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

kyosho parts support ... never was impressed when they were with hobbico nor now on their own
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Absolute hobbyz has everything for the kyosho GT and others

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/advanc...pss6&x=23&y=23

ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

so, just to understand , if i buy the kyosho part kyow12z for it drops right in ,but the hpi 78mm for will fit but i have to do stuff to my diff, Sorry i just got into r/c about 6 months and mainly have traxxas stuff ,this is my 1st non traxxas car, I am just looking for the easiest fix so i finnaly drive this car . I tried driving it with just the rear wheels and its pointless. Cant i just install the hpi 78mm dogbone ?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
so, just to understand , if i buy the kyosho part kyow12z for it drops right in ,but the hpi 78mm for will fit but i have to do stuff to my diff, Sorry i just got into r/c about 6 months and mainly have traxxas stuff ,this is my 1st non traxxas car, I am just looking for the easiest fix so i finnaly drive this car . I tried driving it with just the rear wheels and its pointless. Cant i just install the hpi 78mm dogbone ?
The 'least painful fix' if your drive cups are as they 'arrived-in-the-box', is to cut a 'popsicle stick' or piece of your cereal box or soda cracker box to 78mm and slide it into the slots of the 'drive cups' between the front diff and your trans drive cup with needle nose pliers. My 'cheat sheet' that I 'magic-markered' under my tool box lid says the shaft length on the front of my GT1 was a 84mm before needing to 'shorten it' 5mm or so per the difference of the 008 trans shaft. Yes, the shaft that comes with the new trans is the new 'shorter' shaft for the front shaft of the GT2, not for the front of a GT1. (that shaft mysteriously fits the rear now of the GT1)

The more 'involved fix' is using the 12z CVD where you'll need to deal with the pinion/spur lash by taking the diff off of the chassis and getting the pinion 'pulled out' before tightening the set-screw on the cup on the pinion. You don't have to believe me but your next post will be on how to deal with 'diff eating gears'. I've seen this question so many times it's not funny.

double check....double check.....TRIPLE check with the popsicle stick or cardboard. I've got some damn CVD that is too long and I am not about to grind to make it fit........I'm pretty sure that the HPI 78mm dogbone is your easiest fix since it sounds like you are not a PHD or 'Blackbelt' in DREMMELING.

Yes you can enjoy a Kyosho GT but due to some failures by an otherwise great company our cars are lacking some support.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

thanks scary jerry i will get the hpi dogbone, without the front wheels the car will just spin around at anyspeed 4wd is mandatory
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
thanks scary jerry i will get the hpi dogbone, without the front wheels the car will just spin around at anyspeed 4wd is mandatory
Remember, I said to verify before jumping but that method puts you on the right track........happy racing.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

installed HPI 78 mm dogbone and all is well (if it was about 2mm longer it would be perfect) now on to the engine